News: Did Chris Godwin commit OPI on key catch? Cowboys, Buccaneers weigh in on controversy

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wasn't really that much of a push off imo. Good no call. Wasn't as bad as it looked live. Gotta let them play sometimes

Yeah. I wish they would’ve let us play when we were about to score but instead got backed up cause they didn’t just let us play.

Good to see the refs let the Bucs just play though. Even letting them take their helmets off and spiking it after a play.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yeah. I wish they would’ve let us play when we were about to score but instead got backed up cause they didn’t just let us play.

Good to see the refs let the Bucs just play though. Even letting them take their helmets off and spiking it after a play.

I'm actually really surprised how many people are not talking about the helmet coming off. That was a huge noncall. It's a pretty clear rule. In fact, I remember when Keanu Neal got injured during a Falcons game a couple of years ago and he took his helmet off in pain and they still flagged him for it. Last night was ok though apparently.

ICP

Reaction score
I think he did a bit but it also looked a little like a flop on the defenders part. I agree with those that have said that in that situation you gotta let them play

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

I did see the helmet spike. Was wondering why that wasn't called. Didn't see any others but I haven't watched the whole game yet.

I wasn't saying the game was evenly called was just saying that certain no call wasn't that bad.

CWR

Reaction score
Cowboys: "Yes, push-off"
Bucs: "Nah, man. Nah."

Not really. Dallas is claiming it. They are aware of their mistakes and know they need to clean it up. Fans on the other hand .....

CWR

Reaction score
MM preferring a hands off approach to end the game is moronic.

That play killed us. If there's even a minute chance you challenge it. Smh

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ive never seen anything like that.

Everyone knows that’s a huge huge no no and a automatic personal foul and 1st down.

He not only took his helmet off he spiked it on the ground.

How on earth that didn’t draw a flag I’ll never know and I’m not convinced if our guy did it they wouldn’t have an example made out of them.
People at the bar were trying to tell me they changed the rule on that, because of the rule about celebrations.

CowboyG

Reaction score
Yet people were trying to claim we got cheated with that one. Williams practically tore off his jersey for a fabric sample.

As an aside, did we ever have the chance to draft Vita Vea? That guy was awesome last night. He made Biadazz into Punkazz on that one play.
Yeah vea had to line up over center to get any pressure because McGovern owned him anytime vea lined up over him. Even put him on his big behind one time by simply over powering him.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
None of the players actually made excuses. All those quoted in the article said it shouldn't have come down to a ref's call.
And that's why I never blame the refs. No one is perfect, but they do their best. Execute better, coach better, prepare better, but don't blame the refs. Dallas put themselves in a position for the refs to take the game away from them. That's Dallas' fault.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Stats don't always tell the whole story though. He helped eliminate Zeke from the game completely and also the OL has to account for him every play. Helps keep LBs clean.
Zeke? :laugh: Kellen Moore eliminated Zeke. I'm not mad about it. They played at their weakness. I'm just not sure anyone should say Tampa stopped Zeke, when he basically was an extra interior lineman the whole game to make up for not having Martin starting.

T-RO

Reaction score
More objective sources:

PFF folks said: flag it.
LA Charger Forum folks I hang with all said: flag it.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Was it the play where Collinsworth commented that CM kept blocking & Dak was able to move forward?

No. It was a play where the dt dang near lifted CM off the ground and pushed him into Dak. I think it was an incompletion.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Did Levontae David spike his helmet after a play and not get a penalty which lead to giving the ball back to Tampa and Antonio Brown scoring a TD?
Yes, I mentioned it in the game thread. I called it the Emmitt Smith rule.

Scotman

Reaction score
MM preferring a hands off approach to end the game is moronic.

That play killed us. If there's even a minute chance you challenge it. Smh
Maybe I misunderstood McCarthy. I thought he meant he prefers a "hands off" approach from the refs at that point of the game...not himself. Went on to say he didn't see a clear enough foul to challenge.

I could be completely wrong.

Still...I might have challenged that.

Reactions: CWR

blueblood70

Reaction score
Did Chris Godwin commit OPI on key catch? Cowboys, Buccaneers weigh in on controversy

fc8a6d49-0927-4301-9519-b208927d5d4d-USATSI_16716711.jpg

Chris Godwin's fourth-quarter catch proved to be a critical turning point for the Buccaneers, but some wondered whether the receiver pushed off.

TAMPA — Cowboys cornerback Jourdan Lewis trailed Buccaneers receiver Chris Godwin down the left sideline. Godwin pinned Lewis with his left arm, Lewis aiming to maintain his own balance by grabbing Godwin with his right. Then a dart from Tom Brady arrived at the 18-yard line, Godwin pivoting his frame to welcome it as Lewis tumbled backward onto the field.

A push? Offensive pass interference? Anything flag-worthy about the contact exchanged on the 24-yard reception that set up the Buccaneers’ game-winning field goal?

“That’s Chris,” Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians said after Tampa Bay’s 31-29 win. “He’s gonna fight for every inch and sometimes, you know he got a good lick on him. But he’s going to bounce right back and make that big play.”

Godwin said he wasn’t worried.

“No, no, no,” emphasized the receiver after catching nine of 14 targets for 105 yards, a touchdown and a fumble. “Never worry about offensive pass interference. Just try to go out there and make a play.

“I think it was a little hand-fighting on both parts. He had some good coverage, it was a great pass and I tried to make a play for my team.”

Read Full Story
it was far worse then the one Gallup got called game 1 last year if Gallups was an POPI so is this..this is the issue with Refs inconsistent garbage bs..both cost the DC a chance to win game and that red *** odd seems more like eating the whistle for the likes of an mJ or lebron but if its joe blow guard he gets called all game..on that note for whatever reason LUka gets mugged in playoff games and refs eat their whistles, hes super star odd huh making me angry,,oh back to football.. ;)

penalized are penalties no matter when they happen nd who they happen too but the NFL needs to resolves this, they tried the replay of PIs which in this case would have been called after review but that didnt work how about better refs some of that little pow wows they were having one where the mics stayed on says they are a bit shady ie hey i know it was penatlys but maybe we should not call it..ughh..

cowboyed

Reaction score
Sure but Dallas doesn’t know how to milk a clock for the win. Penalty or turnover and the Cowboys almost always give the opposing QB a chance to win the game in these situations.....it’s what they do
Well with Texas being the biggest cattle state in the country the Cowboys only know how to milk a cow. Unless you take the "l" out of clock it is tough to milk a time piece.