News: Did Chris Godwin commit OPI on key catch? Cowboys, Buccaneers weigh in on controversy

TheHerd

Reaction score
Did Levontae David spike his helmet after a play and not get a penalty which lead to giving the ball back to Tampa and Antonio Brown scoring a TD?
Is that not a rule anymore? Taking your helmet off on the field is the Emmitt rule. And OPI was Irvin' thing. Oh the irony.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Is that not a rule anymore? Taking your helmet off on the field is the Emmitt rule. And OPI was Irvin' thing. Oh the irony.

I can’t believe they didn’t call it. Not in a million years did I think I’d see a player take his helmet off and spike it on the ground and it not get called. It should’ve been 1st down Cowboys ball.

You can’t just pick and choose when to enforce these rules like that and that 1 was as clear as day.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Wasn't really that much of a push off imo. Good no call. Wasn't as bad as it looked live. Gotta let them play sometimes
I'd agree if it was consistent. No way they hold that flag if the receiver has a star on his helmet.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I can’t believe they didn’t call it. Not in a million years did I think I’d see a player take his helmet off and spike it on the ground and it not get called. It should’ve been 1st down Cowboys ball.

You can’t just pick and choose when to enforce these rules like that and that 1 was as clear as day.
I haven't heard much talk about the missed call though, so I wondered if I'd missed the rule change.

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood McCarthy. I thought he meant he prefers a "hands off" approach from the refs at that point of the game...not himself. Went on to say he didn't see a clear enough foul to challenge.

I could be completely wrong.

Still...I might have challenged that.

Or maybe I did, but it made it sound like he believed the refs needs to back off and let em play in crunch time, therefore he was going to support challenging something that isn't blatant.

My thing was its subjective and was huge in deciding the outcome. You have to take a swing if there is any chance.

Carson

Reaction score

Because they say he wasn’t “taunting or celebrating” therefore it wasn’t a penalty. More of the NFL making it up as they go against us

TheHerd

Reaction score
Because they say he wasn’t “taunting or celebrating” therefore it wasn’t a penalty. More of the NFL making it up as they go against us
That's embarrassing if the reason given he wasn't celebrating. What happened, he had dirt in his eye?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Its a flag because it was OPI..It was not within the rules. Helmet spike...flag because it was not within the rules...Refs make mistakes they seemd to make them at the right time for the Buccs last night. Hopefully next week it goes our way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
remember that bs calls on ours Long snapper last year where he snapped it like he has 10000 times before and they call that made fg back and the next one is missed..cost us the game

why is it always seemingly us that get all the odd duck calls?

Verdict

Reaction score
Great point. Some posters around here have a hard time separating what we say from what the team says and does. They take other fans opinions and takes as coming from the actual cowboys team. I've always found this lack of ability to separate realities interesting.
Some people on here are not very bright or so emotional that they just let their feelings color what they think they are hearing/seeing.

Scotman

Reaction score
Or maybe I did, but it made it sound like he believed the refs needs to back off and let em play in crunch time, therefore he was going to support challenging something that isn't blatant.

My thing was its subjective and was huge in deciding the outcome. You have to take a swing if there is any chance.

You and I are on the same page, regardless of what he meant. Take a chance and throw that red flag. At a minimum, it slows down their momentum.

Reactions: CWR

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't like making excuses for a loss after the game. I have seen worse OPI not called. I thought the refs let a lot go on both sides, especially in the trenches. The Cowboys deserved the holding penalties they got, although the one on Tyron Smith was a little nit-picky compared to some of the holding they let go. The fact is the Cowboys were beaten because the offense failed to sustain a drive with under 2 minutes to go in the game and the defense failed to stop the Bucs after that. Bot failures looked a lot like the Cowboys of the last few years.

We certainly could have won the game for sure. Big Mike failed to make crucial decisions when it counted. Also, Ceedee and Elliott running out of bounds were stupid mistakes as well. Frankly, I would have ran the ball up the middle or a quick pass to a TE for a short gain to keep the drive alive.

What also happened to those Wide Receiver and TE screens they ran in the 1st quarter? Surely, it would have been better plays than what they ran during crunchtime.

Jake0

Reaction score
Zeke? :laugh: Kellen Moore eliminated Zeke. I'm not mad about it. They played at their weakness. I'm just not sure anyone should say Tampa stopped Zeke, when he basically was an extra interior lineman the whole game to make up for not having Martin starting.

Not saying it was a bad decision, but the coaches see that TB roster and are like... yeah let's avoid ramming our heads into a brick wall (the #1 run d in the league) and attack their weakness. Decision was fine, offense was good. Just saying, Vita Vea makes the opposing team not want to run the ball up the middle. 0 tackles or not he's an impact player.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Not saying it was a bad decision, but the coaches see that TB roster and are like... yeah let's avoid ramming our heads into a brick wall (the #1 run d in the league) and attack their weakness. Decision was fine, offense was good. Just saying, Vita Vea makes the opposing team not want to run the ball up the middle. 0 tackles or not he's an impact player.
He absolutely is!

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
I think there was a push off, but it did look like Lewis acted it out a little too much. Plus the push was with his forearm and he didn't extend his arm all the way. I think if he did they would have called it....

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
it was 11 to 8 in called penalties for the game favoring the Cowboys... My biggest beef about the calls, and maybe its just me being biased for the Boys, is that it always seems like the we are mostly on the losing side of the major possible game changing penalties...

CWR

Reaction score
You and I are on the same page, regardless of what he meant. Take a chance and throw that red flag. At a minimum, it slows down their momentum.

Yup can't take those time outs home with you, so you may as give it a shot.