Did Dalton play himself into a starter contract?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I can see him going somewhere like Denver, where they have a lot of weapons and a good defense.

He would be a good stop-gap til they can find a franchise QB.

New England might be an option as well, but they need to add a few WRs or the Colts if Rivers retires.

catiii

Reaction score
Andy Dalton seems to be on a good streak this Kellen gun offense and 3 game win streak ,, seem like he's gain great confidence and rhythm en route to big plays in pass game

this could make him look more attractive in the FA market .. teams like the Pats, ..or Washington that could have really used him

His age (33 yrs) will be something going against him long term. but i could see Pats signing him as a stopgap starter until a a grooming young buck draftee is ready to take the wheels

He's like a Ryan Fitzpatrick

:D
Hopefully with the Cowboys.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think he has played himself back into the good graces of other NFL GMs, ....he will get a look as a backup or potential starter because we see how QBs drop like flies now. It will be either Dak or Dalton in Dallas next year.. Not both. So it will be a decision need to be made pronto by the FO.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
What a typical hot take. We beat a bad Philthy team with a defense that’s ranked 5 spots worse THAN US against the pass and people are crowning Dalton.
No. Everyone here knows what Dalton is. And everyone here knows what Dakoda is.
Dakoda wants Russell Wilson money and contract. It’s laughable. He isn’t getting it. Especially now.
Dalton is a solid starter from a perennial loser franchise. One of the worst ever. He can be a bridge career QB for the new rookie QB and finish as the back up in his home state. That’s all.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Possibly. If we could pull it off and manage to turn the picks into a really good prospect, who knows.

One of 3. DAL has no cap space if they were to sign Stats Prescott to the deal he wants. Which is idiotic.
And DAL isn’t going anywhere in terms of a SB until they fix there porous defense and get a franchise QB. So trade all 3. Dak, Cooper and Zeke. All too expensive and all not worth their cost. Then use the picks to move up and get the franchise QB on a 5 year rookie, cheap deal, and rebuild the defense.
And you won’t miss them. Gallup-Lamb-Schultz-Pollard-Rookie QB.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I’m not sure. Looks like we may have 5 first round qbs drafted. Gardner menshew likely available, tyrod Taylor, Winston, trubisky, fitzmagic, brissett all set to be free agents. Not sure how many qb openings we see this year but there will be a ton of competition

Dalton is better than all of them except Fitzmagic. I can see Dalton in a similar role with a team that drafts a top QB. It would be nice if someone signed him and we got a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him.

Dak is a much better QB than Dalton and does more than he can. Is he worth more than twice the money? That is the question. You could sign Dalton, draft one of the QBs to groom and get 3-4 free agents on defense...or sign Dak. If you let Dak go that is a guaranteed 3rd round comp pick also. I really think the argument can be made either way.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m not sure. Looks like we may have 5 first round qbs drafted. Gardner menshew likely available, tyrod Taylor, Winston, trubisky, fitzmagic, brissett all set to be free agents. Not sure how many qb openings we see this year but there will be a ton of competition

Bingo!!! a quick survey around the league will show there's NOT a lot of teams desperately looking for starting QB. So I'm so sure there will be that many openings and certainly not enough to say Dalton will be an upgrade. I can see him resigning for another year......

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Bingo!!! a quick survey around the league will show there's NOT a lot of teams desperately looking for starting QB. So I'm so sure there will be that many openings and certainly not enough to say Dalton will be an upgrade. I can see him resigning for another year......

Dak could be in that market too

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He could still be here next year. I dont think he'll be a hot commodity around the league. Wrong side of 30,

yup....but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him around...and drafting a guy early. Just think it's the right financial thing to do. Prescott's absurd contract demands....just might get him a ticket out of Dallas.

KB1122

Reaction score
Right now, all of the playoff teams in the AFC have a first-round pick at quarterback. Three of the NFC teams do, plus Drew Brees, a #32 pick which would be the first round nowadays. Only Tom Brady and Russell Wilson are later round picks.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
THere could be close to half the teams in the league in the market IMO

NE
NYJ
DEN
INDY (Depending on RIvers)
JAGS
WASHINGTON
DALLAS
49ERS
BEARS
VIKINGS
LIONS (Stafford could be FA)
SAINTS(Could Brees retire)
BUCS(Could Brady retire)
FALCONS (Could go diff direction)

blumayne38

Reaction score
Andy Dalton seems to be on a good streak this Kellen gun offense and 3 game win streak ,, seem like he's gain great confidence and rhythm en route to big plays in pass game

this could make him look more attractive in the FA market .. teams like the Pats, ..or Washington that could have really used him

His age (33 yrs) will be something going against him long term. but i could see Pats signing him as a stopgap starter until a a grooming young buck draftee is ready to take the wheels

He's like a Ryan Fitzpatrick

:D
Not a good comparison, fitz is good but dalton has a cannon and will definitely land a starting spot next year somewhere..
He had a great game today, no question. It it was his first great game this season, and not at all outside what we have seen Dak do. But, when you have an agenda one game is all you need to latch onto, right?
The great part of his game today was a complete game from the team. A out of this world performance by the WR group. I imagine he would be this great so long as the team plays great with him. Dalton isn’t out there trying to do more then he needs to. He’s all about winning at this point in his career, can’t say the same about dak. But I don’t blame him either different points in their careers. IMO

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dalton is better than all of them except Fitzmagic. .

I dont disagree, i'd probably take Dalton over Fitz too, but you never know what front offices are thinking. Dalton didnt do enough get much attention last offseason, has this year changed that? If Dallas doesnt keep him as a starter in 2021 i'd hope he lands a big deal for the comp pick, but im skeptical he is going to be a super hot commodity. Maybe a team like Indy would make sense if rivers retires. Maybe New England.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a good comparison, fitz is good but dalton has a cannon and will definitely land a starting spot next year somewhere..

The great part of his game today was a complete game from the team. A out of this world performance by the WR group. I imagine he would be this great so long as the team plays great with him. Dalton isn’t out there trying to do more then he needs to. He’s all about winning at this point in his career, can’t say the same about dak. But I don’t blame him either different points in their careers. IMO
I’ve never seen Dak as selfish or about himself on the field at all. When they asked him to preside over a balanced offense with a heavy running element, he was fine with that, and when they asked him to become more dynamic in the passing game he worked hard and took on that role. He sacrifices his body to get first downs, often driving through LBs and taking big hits to do so, and it’s a pretty universal belief that he is a leader on the field and in the locker room. And, the reality is, Dak has had his share of these kinds of games himself. The difference was that the defense stepped up in this one.