Did Jerry ever do anything to mark our 50th anniversary?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4422215 said:
Trust me people noticed. All this has done is give those same people the chance to completely over-react and make a HUGE deal out of absolutely nothing.
I resemble that remark.

:wink2:

fgoodwin

Reaction score
bbgun;4422116 said:
He performed a little accounting trick by pushing it back a year in deference to the new stadium's feelings.
Ever the marketer, Jerry never misses a chance to lighten the wallets of fans.

The 2009 season was indeed the franchise's 50th season, but it was also the inaugural season of Cowboys Stadium. So he sandwiched the Final Season at Texas Stadium (2008) and the 50th "anniversary" (not 50th season) in 2010 around the initial season of the new stadium in 2009. That way he got three years worth of different marketing campaigns instead of just two. He knows that in a few years most fans will have totally forgotten and moved on.

But some of us will not forget and I count myself in that group.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4422125 said:
Nobody noticed? I pitched a conniption fit that damn near measured on the richter scale.

I will never buy anything with that abortion of a patch, and if someone gives me something with it on there I will probably destroy it, with extreme prejudice.

I wrote every member of the DFW media and asked them why they were not making an issue out of that. Not one of them had the cajones to take Jerry to task for this garbage.

Honestly, I doubt they cared. 50, 51. Whatever. That the last issue we're worried about with Jerry.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4422215 said:
Trust me people noticed. All this has done is give those same people the chance to completely over-react and make a HUGE deal out of absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't write it off as "absolutely nothing".

I don't know how long you've been a fan, but I've been following the Cowboys for almost 50 years myself so yes indeed it was a VERY BIG DEAL for some of us. For example, the fact that Jerry never brought back "Cowboy Joe" (see my avatar) tells me he really doesn't have an understanding or appreciation of Cowboys history, despite all of his words to the contrary.

Action (or in this case, inaction) speaks much louder than words.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Risen Star;4422237 said:
Honestly, I doubt they cared. 50, 51. Whatever. That the last issue we're worried about with Jerry.
I agree with you to this extent: the DFW beat reporters don't have the cojones to call out Jerry on his GM ability so it doesn't surprise me they were too timid to ask him about this issue. The opinion guys like Galloway don't actually face Jerry in an interview so with their paper mache cojones they call him out in the media instead.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fgoodwin;4422241 said:
I agree with you to this extent: the DFW beat reporters don't have the cojones to call out Jerry on his GM ability so it doesn't surprise me they were too timid to ask him about this issue. The opinion guys like Galloway don't actually face Jerry in an interview so with their paper mache cojones they call him out in the media instead.

The thing is, I don't think it's even an issue you should take him to task for. I don't see it as being disrespectful. It'd be more embarrassing for him if he got it wrong than anything else.

Here's a guy who single-handedly destroyed this franchise and we're gonna worry about a commemorative patch on a jersey?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fgoodwin;4422239 said:
I wouldn't write it off as "absolutely nothing".

I don't know how long you've been a fan, but I've been following the Cowboys for almost 50 years myself so yes indeed it was a VERY BIG DEAL for some of us. For example, the fact that Jerry never brought back "Cowboy Joe" (see my avatar) tells me he really doesn't have an understanding or appreciation of Cowboys history, despite all of his words to the contrary.

Action (or in this case, inaction) speaks much louder than words.

I guess some fans are more concerned with our future than living in the past.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
fgoodwin;4422241 said:

Someone should have rented a billboard.

But they did not.

Strange.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;4422211 said:
Ban you? For hating that patch?

I'd probably knight you.

I said this recently and I mean it. If I get any Cowboys related item with that patch on it I will use the 2010 portion of the logo for target practice.

The patch is not the problem but the man behind it. Jerry Jones is not a "Cowboys fan", but a "Jerry Jones fan". He doesn't have the love of the storied tradition of this great franchise, his only concern is his own legacy and wallet.

Jerry doesn't get a strange, fond feeling inside him when he hears names like Don Perkins, George Andrie, Jethro Pugh, Cornell Green, Jerry Tubbs, Mike Connolly, Tony Liscio, Frank Clarke, Dave Edwards, or many others who were not big names, or guys you hear about all the time but were so key to our early years.

He is older than I am by 16 years but he doesn't feel the same way about those 1960s teams, the ones who struggled and lost before finally putting it together, only to come up short in the end. Year after year. The hope, the love, the passion... He doesn't know those things because he wasn't a Cowboys fan back then and didn't call himself one until he bought the team.

It's "His team" that he loves, not the Dallas Cowboys, they are "My Team", not because I own them but because they own me. You don't buy a team, you give yourself to it, your heart, your hopes, your dreams.

Jerry has never understood this and it is why I have come to despise him. He's not a bad person but he is evil in my eyes for taking what was once "My Team" and making it into his image, a money-making machine that feeds his ego.

Our 50th anniversary should have been a big deal, it should have been celebrated as a major milestone, but it was relegated to a stupid patch the following year so that it didn't take any fanfare away from Jerry's monument to himself.

Hos, you and I disagree, sometimes vehemently, on Jerry Jones, but I tell you this is the crux of the issue for me; that Jerry Jones is NOT and NEVER has been, a Cowboys fan. He loves the team he bought, whatever the name. It could have been the San Diego Chargers if things had gone right years before, how I wish it had!

I had not intended for this thread to become yet ANOTHER Jerry Jones rant, I was just curious if I had missed something (and I had) and the answer has made me hate this guy even more.

Jerry Jones :yousuck:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;4422374 said:
I had not intended for this thread to become yet ANOTHER Jerry Jones rant...
There is only one way to avoid that, and that is to not even mention his name.

Which is what the media in DFW and fans should do if they really want the change they profess. Every time they interview him or mention his name it feeds the machine. Stop talking to him and about him...and real change can happen. The more you talk about him, the more he wants to prove he is not.

If we win, like I expect us to, some people are going to have to spin control their comments. I won't have to. Just like I won't ever mince words about that patch. You can claim it isn't a problem until the blue in your face matches the star on the helmet. I won't ever agree with you. It is a symbol of marketing greed. The celebration of a new stadium and the hosting of a Super Bowl instead of a celebration of proper History.

I believe my reaction to that patch would have sent Jerry a message, but way too many people just see it as a "sweet patch." They fed the machine.

Enjoy.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;4422376 said:
There is only one way to avoid that, and that is to not even mention his name.

Which is what the media in DFW and fans should do if they really want the change they profess. Every time they interview him or mention his name it feeds the machine. Stop talking to him and about him...and real change can happen. The more you talk about him, the more he wants to prove he is not.

If we win, like I expect us to, some people are going to have to spin control their comments. I won't have to. Just like I won't ever mince words about that patch. You can claim it isn't a problem until the blue in your face matches the star on the helmet. I won't ever agree with you. It is a symbol of marketing greed. The celebration of a new stadium and the hosting of a Super Bowl instead of a celebration of proper History.

I believe my reaction to that patch would have sent Jerry a message, but way too many people just see it as a "sweet patch." They fed the machine.

Enjoy.

Like Parcells, shall I just refer to him as "The Owner" from now on? I have a different name for him but this one should be acceptable on the forum.

birdwells1

Reaction score
fgoodwin;4422235 said:
Ever the marketer, Jerry never misses a chance to lighten the wallets of fans.

The 2009 season was indeed the franchise's 50th season, but it was also the inaugural season of Cowboys Stadium. So he sandwiched the Final Season at Texas Stadium (2008) and the 50th "anniversary" (not 50th season) in 2010 around the initial season of the new stadium in 2009. That way he got three years worth of different marketing campaigns instead of just two. He knows that in a few years most fans will have totally forgotten and moved on.

But some of us will not forget and I count myself in that group.

Good post, I didn't know that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4422376 said:
If we win, like I expect us to, some people are going to have to spin control their comments. I won't have to.

Wait, so if we finally win after 16, 17, 20 years we'll have to spin our comments but your stance has held valid through all these losing years?

Fact - this is the worst era of Cowboys football in it's history.

If we win it'll be because we found the right coach capable of doing both jobs for him and Jerry respecting him enough to listen. It won't be because Jerry is a good GM or that Tom Ciskowski is the GM in disguise. If we win within the next few seasons, you'd also have to give a major assist to Bill Parcells for coming in and cleaning up the mess and putting together this core.

I just find it funny that I'd have to spin my comments when I was finally wrong to the pro-Jerry crowd that's yet to ever be right.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Risen Star;4422237 said:

Yeah, but it gives some the opportunity to be critical of Jerry about the off field stuff i.e. 50th anniversary and ROH, without being critical of on field production i.e. playoff wins, 4th quarter collapses.

You're going to need to remember this when you accuse some of never being critical of this teams management and Jerry specifically.

It's funny that the thing that Jerry does that least affect winning brings the most grief for some.:bang2:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
birdwells1;4422396 said:
Yeah, but it gives some the opportunity to be critical of Jerry about the off field stuff i.e. 50th anniversary and ROH, without being critical of on field production i.e. playoff wins, 4th quarter collapses.

You're going to need to remember this when you accuse some of never being critical of this teams management and Jerry specifically.

It's funny that the thing that Jerry does that least affect winning brings the most grief for some.:bang2:

I've been quite vocal about "The Owner" ruining this franchise, 16 consecutive failures since 1995, and the lack of any real prospects of winning in the near future. Just ask Hos. :cool:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4422394 said:
Wait, so if we finally win after 16, 17, 20 years we'll have to spin our comments but your stance has held valid through all these losing years?

Fact - this is the worst era of Cowboys football in it's history.

If we win it'll be because we found the right coach capable of doing both jobs for him and Jerry respecting him enough to listen. It won't be because Jerry is a good GM or that Tom Ciskowski is the GM in disguise. If we win within the next few seasons, you'd also have to give a major assist to Bill Parcells for coming in and cleaning up the mess and putting together this core.

I just find it funny that I'd have to spin my comments when I was finally wrong to the pro-Jerry crowd that's yet to ever be right.
I'll be giving credit where it is due, to Jason Garrett, his staff, and the players on the field. Where it has always been. Teams can win despite a stupid GM. The Bengals have been to the Super Bowl twice in their History despite a man I consider rather inept about football in Mike Brown. They got there despite him. Papa Bear, George Halas, never saw his Bears in a Super Bowl, but his daughter and grandson did. I refuse to believe they were better football people than the Papa Bear.

I am never going to buy the it all starts with the GM argument. Ever. I cannot make it any clearer than that. I don't give two hoots in hell about the man if he has good scouts and coaches, and we do.