Did Jerry ever do anything to mark our 50th anniversary?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;4422381 said:
Like Parcells, shall I just refer to him as "The Owner" from now on? I have a different name for him but this one should be acceptable on the forum.
If that works for you. Jerry was a strong student of Tex Scgramm as you know. He picked Tex's mind every day while he was still around in the transition period. Tex Schramm taught him that the only thing worse than people talking about is if they aren't talking about you.

The more you mention Jerry, the more it benefits him. The media need to embargo Jerry for there to be the real change you all so desperately want.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4422454 said:
I'll be giving credit where it is due, to Jason Garrett, his staff, and the players on the field. Where it has always been. Teams can win despite a stupid GM. The Bengals have been to the Super Bowl twice in their History despite a man I consider rather inept about football in Mike Brown. They got there despite him. Papa Bear, George Halas, never saw his Bears in a Super Bowl, but his daughter and grandson did. I refuse to believe they were better football people than the Papa Bear.

I am never going to buy the it all starts with the GM argument. Ever. I cannot make it any clearer than that. I don't give two hoots in hell about the man if he has good scouts and coaches, and we do.

Yeah, you'll never believe it because that's the current state of the Cowboys and you'll never criticize that. That's what's really going on here.

It makes absolutely no sense to say it doesn't start with the final decision maker. We all know better than that.

I've already said we can win with Jerry. We just can't win because of Jerry and his presence as the GM here is an obstacle we must overcome. It makes winning here harder than most all other NFL stops. So you get what you've gotten the last 16 years. A big bag of fail.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4422458 said:
Yeah, you'll never believe it because that's the current state of the Cowboys and you'll never criticize that. That's what's really going on here.
Yet I have criticized the current state of the Cowboys. I've given dozens of examples in the past.

I think Jason Garrett is the answer to our frustrations. I think Parcells was a great hire, but he did not achieve what I expected of him. I even think Wade was a decent hire. I do think we're pointed in the right direction, and I don't feel like it is because of Jerry Jones.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Hostile;4422457 said:
If that works for you. Jerry was a strong student of Tex Scgramm as you know. He picked Tex's mind every day while he was still around in the transition period. Tex Schramm taught him that the only thing worse than people talking about is if they aren't talking about you.

The more you mention Jerry, the more it benefits him. The media need to embargo Jerry for there to be the real change you all so desperately want.

The change we all want should be the change that you want to and that's fielding a team that can compete for a championship.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
birdwells1;4422460 said:
The change we all want should be the change that you want to and that's fielding a team that can compete for a championship.
Had that in 2007. Fell short.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4422457 said:

Actually the fans would need to. Which will never happen because we're too stupid. He'll keep arriving to the training camp kickoff party every year with a Jerry Springer soundtrack type greeting from the people he's conning.

There are only two ways this changes. 1) He dies. 2) He loses money. And even with option 2, he'd weasel his way around giving up his precious GM title and look for another Bill Parcells type relationship. Fix this for me without making me look like the problem.

And with option 1, how do we know Stephen Jones wouldn't simply shift over one chair and pretend he too is an NFL GM? Maybe nothing would change there.

It's just a very depressing state of the team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4422466 said:
Actually the fans would need to. Which will never happen because we're too stupid. He'll keep arriving to the training camp kickoff party every year with a Jerry Springer soundtrack type greeting from the people he's conning.

There are only two ways this changes. 1) He dies. 2) He loses money. And even with option 2, he'd weasel his way around giving up his precious GM title and look for another Bill Parcells type relationship. Fix this for me without making me look like the problem.

And with option 1, how do we know Stephen Jones wouldn't simply shift over one chair and pretend he too is an NFL GM? Maybe nothing would change there.

It's just a very depressing state of the team.
There is some truth to what you post here. However, I do think Stephen Jones will bring in another football guy. He might very well make Ciskowski the GM, but I think it will be Sean Payton when he leaves the Saints to live in Dallas like he wants to.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4422459 said:
Yet I have criticized the current state of the Cowboys. I've given dozens of examples in the past.

I think Jason Garrett is the answer to our frustrations. I think Parcells was a great hire, but he did not achieve what I expected of him. I even think Wade was a decent hire. I do think we're pointed in the right direction, and I don't feel like it is because of Jerry Jones.

You've given examples of the past, but I don't remember them. It's easy to say today, hey, I didn't like Switzer. You're not saddled with Barry right now. He's not the current direction of the team.

I've read you on many occasions say it doesn't make sense to you for fans to follow a team and look at things negatively. That's fine. That's how you prefer to follow a football team. But it's impossible to do that and be objective at the same time. What if the current state of the team is negative? No team will always be good or heading in the right direction. If you're a fan over your lifetime and have always had an optimistic view of the team, you are a homer fan. All objectivity is out the window. That's just how I see it.

It is baffling to me how anyone would have to defend their negativity during a franchise unprecedented 16 year drought of success. It's equally baffling how anyone could possibly support the front office structure that has led to that drought. If you're capable of doing that, you're capable of supporting anything this team will ever do. All in the name of being a fan.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4422467 said:
There is some truth to what you post here. However, I do think Stephen Jones will bring in another football guy. He might very well make Ciskowski the GM, but I think it will be Sean Payton when he leaves the Saints to live in Dallas like he wants to.

I find that hard to believe. I think Stephen has been groomed to take over.

I wish somebody would ask him that question.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4422471 said:
You've given examples of the past, but I don't remember them. It's easy to say today, hey, I didn't like Switzer. You're not saddled with Barry right now. He's not the current direction of the team.

I've read you on many occasions say it doesn't make sense to you for fans to follow a team and look at things negatively. That's fine. That's how you prefer to follow a football team. But it's impossible to do that and be objective at the same time. What if the current state of the team is negative? No team will always be good or heading in the right direction. If you're a fan over your lifetime and have always had an optimistic view of the team, you are a homer fan. All objectivity is out the window. That's just how I see it.

It is baffling to me how anyone would have to defend their negativity during a franchise unprecedented 16 year drought of success. It's equally baffling how anyone could possibly support the front office structure that has led to that drought. If you're capable of doing that, you're capable of supporting anything this team will ever do. All in the name of being a fan.
I have been misquoted yet again.

It doesn't make sense to me to follow a team that you like nothing about. We have fans who hate everything we do and have done and are. I do not get that.

I don't get the dislike of Tony Romo, Jason Witten, or DeMarcus Ware. I don't get the dislike of every single draft pick. I don't get the dislike when we win.

I couldn't stand Dave Campo. I did not want him on this team in any capacity. Did you ever see me praise him? No. But I never harped on him week after week after week to the point of trying to make anyone sick of me harping on it.

I don't get that. I will never get that.

I wasn't all that crazy about the hiring of Rob Ryan. I called him the spawn of Buddy. Got lectured about it regularly. I am amused at how many people suddenly doubt him, echoing what I was saying when we hired him. 180 degrees from where they were when he was hired.

I have a hard time understanding the need to bash the team, and I do believe for some people it is a need not a habit. I say we have 5 Super Bowls, and get told I have to stop living in the past. That 16 years of futility is more important. Not to me. I cherish our past.

The current era fan would have hated Tom Landry. Too robotic. Not emotional enough. Too analytical. Too plastic. They would say that Landry had 27 years of failure in his 29 years here. I don't see it that way and I am never going to.

People here focused on 16 years of futility don't want me to be proud of the 4 NFC East titles we won in those years. I don't care what they want. I am proud of those. Those matter to me. They don't want me to be proud of 5 double digit win seasons. I don't care. Those matter to me. They don't want me to be proud of 7 trips to the Post Season. I don't care. Those things matter to me. They don't want me to care about player accomplishments. I don't care. Those things matter to me.

If caring about those things makes me a homer, then so be it. I'll either get over it, or I won't. But rest assured on this, I will never be so frustrated that I can't see anything but 16 years of futility. If you want that misery, then have at it. It's all yours...gladly. I still enjoy the game, the team, and the excitement I feel when I see things heading in ways I want them to go.

I'll never lose my enthusiasm for the game or this team. And all the sanctimonious accusations in the world on this forum and others that have threads dedicated to trashing me and what I stand for is never going to change that. I was proud to wear my Hershel Walker jersey in 1989. I was proud to say I was a believer in Troy Aikman in 1991. I am proud to say I believe in Tony Romo right now, and frankly you'd have better luck trying to shove hot butter up an unchained, rabid wildcat's *** with a hot poker under a July Death Valley sun than to get me to change how I feel about this team and players.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4422474 said:
I find that hard to believe. I think Stephen has been groomed to take over.

I wish somebody would ask him that question.
Take over, yes. He already longs to do that since he is essentially the day to day manager any way.

Spotlight that is required by the Cowboys? No. He'd rather someone else be that.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;4422481 said:
Take over, yes. He already longs to do that since he is essentially the day to day manager any way.

Spotlight that is required by the Cowboys? No. He'd rather someone else be that.

I hope you are right. I have a lot of faith in Stephen to be the guy to return this team to greatness. Football first, marketing second!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;4422486 said:
I hope you are right. I have a lot of faith in Stephen to be the guy to return this team to greatness. Football first, marketing second!
Jason Garrett is the guy to put your hope in. The GM doesn't matter.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;4422498 said:
Jason Garrett is the guy to put your hope in. The GM doesn't matter.

I disagree, and so would Bill Polian. :D If the HC was drafting the players and signing the FAs I might agree with you. The guy who puts the team together is just as important as the HC. Landry couldn't win many games when we started missing on some high draft picks.

Garrett still has a lot to prove and improve for me to put that kind of faith in him. I like some of what I see so far but there are also a number of head-scratching decisions he has made that make me hesitate to anoint him just yet.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
After reading this thread. I really hope something good comes from the free agency signings, even then I'm sure some will still be hootin and hollerin about how "Jerruh" screwed everything up. Gotta love my fellow Cowboy fans.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Hagman;4422102 said:
He celebrated by cashing checks for the seat licenses in his new 1.3 billion stay-jium.

Oddly enough, the uniform patch was issued for our 51st year. Odd that nobody around here noticed that.
:lmao2:

There's two different ways to approach anniversaries for franchises.
1. The Cowboys celebrated 50 years 1960-2010, which is "years" of existance.
2. The other way is to go with 50 "seasons". If the Cowboys would have done that they would've done that patch in '09 but I think they had a patch that year for the new stadium opening but I may be wrong on that.

The Texans are doing a similar thing this season, they are celebrating their 10 year anniversary 2002-2012 even though last year was their 10th season.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;4422231 said:
I resemble that remark.

:wink2:

lol.

Yes we know Hos.

:)

fgoodwin;4422239 said:
I wouldn't write it off as "absolutely nothing".

I don't know how long you've been a fan, but I've been following the Cowboys for almost 50 years myself so yes indeed it was a VERY BIG DEAL for some of us. For example, the fact that Jerry never brought back "Cowboy Joe" (see my avatar) tells me he really doesn't have an understanding or appreciation of Cowboys history, despite all of his words to the contrary.

Action (or in this case, inaction) speaks much louder than words.

No where near 50 years, cause I'm only 32, but none the less. I care about what the team has done, and is doing, not about some patch and what year they put it on the jersey.

Risen Star;4422458 said:

It makes absolutely no sense to say it doesn't start with the final decision maker. We all know better than that.

I've already said we can win with Jerry. We just can't win because of Jerry and his presence as the GM here is an obstacle we must overcome. It makes winning here harder than most all other NFL stops. So you get what you've gotten the last 16 years. A big bag of fail.

Might try actually reading more often and you'll find that he does criticize the team and things he doesn't like. It gets pushed aside, and forgotten like this, because he doesn't hate every little thing that happens and doesn't dwell on it.

Which is why folks try and make this claim that he never criticizes the team. People see only what they want to see from other people's posts. If they're the type to only be negative then they'll only notice when someone says something not negative about the team then their jump right into their usual 'homer', or whatever the label of that week is, crap that goes on around here.

The same goes the other way as well. The people who rarely, or never, say anything negative will jump all over those who do and ignore anything good those people say about the team.

Hostile;4422480 said:
I have been misquoted yet again.

It doesn't make sense to me to follow a team that you like nothing about. We have fans who hate everything we do and have done and are. I do not get that.

I don't get the dislike of Tony Romo, Jason Witten, or DeMarcus Ware. I don't get the dislike of every single draft pick. I don't get the dislike when we win.

I couldn't stand Dave Campo. I did not want him on this team in any capacity. Did you ever see me praise him? No. But I never harped on him week after week after week to the point of trying to make anyone sick of me harping on it.

I don't get that. I will never get that.

I wasn't all that crazy about the hiring of Rob Ryan. I called him the spawn of Buddy. Got lectured about it regularly. I am amused at how many people suddenly doubt him, echoing what I was saying when we hired him. 180 degrees from where they were when he was hired.

I have a hard time understanding the need to bash the team, and I do believe for some people it is a need not a habit. I say we have 5 Super Bowls, and get told I have to stop living in the past. That 16 years of futility is more important. Not to me. I cherish our past.

The current era fan would have hated Tom Landry. Too robotic. Not emotional enough. Too analytical. Too plastic. They would say that Landry had 27 years of failure in his 29 years here. I don't see it that way and I am never going to.

People here focused on 16 years of futility don't want me to be proud of the 4 NFC East titles we won in those years. I don't care what they want. I am proud of those. Those matter to me. They don't want me to be proud of 5 double digit win seasons. I don't care. Those matter to me. They don't want me to be proud of 7 trips to the Post Season. I don't care. Those things matter to me. They don't want me to care about player accomplishments. I don't care. Those things matter to me.

If caring about those things makes me a homer, then so be it. I'll either get over it, or I won't. But rest assured on this, I will never be so frustrated that I can't see anything but 16 years of futility. If you want that misery, then have at it. It's all yours...gladly. I still enjoy the game, the team, and the excitement I feel when I see things heading in ways I want them to go.

I'll never lose my enthusiasm for the game or this team. And all the sanctimonious accusations in the world on this forum and others that have threads dedicated to trashing me and what I stand for is never going to change that. I was proud to wear my Hershel Walker jersey in 1989. I was proud to say I was a believer in Troy Aikman in 1991. I am proud to say I believe in Tony Romo right now, and frankly you'd have better luck trying to shove hot butter up an unchained, rabid wildcat's *** with a hot poker under a July Death Valley sun than to get me to change how I feel about this team and players.

Great post. I completely agree.