Did Randall Cobb ever take his physical and sign his Texans contract?

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
I know there were some delays with physicals and finalizing contracts because of the preventative COVID measures. A couple of high profile player contracts, such as Michael Brockers, have already fallen through long after they were reported,

I wonder if it’s too late for Randall Cobb to back out now that the Texans have traded for Brandin Cooks. Cobb could find himself as 4th WR on the depth chart if he can’t beat out Kenny Stills. Being the #3 for your former HC in Dallas has to seem a little more appealing now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-in-process-of-trading-for-rams-brandin-cooks

Kwyn

Reaction score
I know there were some delays with physicals and finalizing contracts because of the preventative COVID measures. A couple of high profile player contracts, such as Michael Brockers, have already fallen through long after they were reported,

I wonder if it’s too late for Randall Cobb to back out now that the Texans have traded for Brandin Cooks. Cobb could find himself as 4th WR on the depth chart if he can’t beat out Kenny Stills. Being the #3 for your former HC in Dallas has to seem a little more appealing now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-in-process-of-trading-for-rams-brandin-cooks
He hasn’t officially signed and hasn’t taken a physical.

Could it fall through? I suppose but I can’t imagine under what circumstances that might happen.

Cobb is not likely to just suddenly bail out at the last minute just because they signed Cooks.

In my opinion he still has more opportunity in Houston than he had here

ESPN, in their Cooks article, also had this to say about Cobb

“The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.”

Even more reason for Cobb to be happy with his choice

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Obsessed? Not quite. Intrigued? Yes.

He would be a significantly better option than Devin Smith.
Oh, now you hate Devin Smith? Last year Devin was a rookie that barely had a chance to be on the field. You have no idea of his potential.

luckyman76

Reaction score
Cobb didn't go to the Texans for opportunity, he went for guaranteed money no one else would give him and he isn't leaving. Although O'Brien has managed to prove over and over this off-season how much of an idiot he is, even I don't believe he is stupid enough to back out of a guaranteed contract. Ask the Rams about offset language in a year or two. Stupid franchises going to do stupid. We have enough of our own problems.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Oh, now you hate Devin Smith? Last year Devin was a rookie that barely had a chance to be on the field. You have no idea of his potential.

Hyperbole much? Acknowledging that Cobb is a better WR doesn't mean I hate Smith.

And as another poster already pointed out, Devin Smith is a 5th year vet...far from a rookie.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hyperbole much? Acknowledging that Cobb is a better WR doesn't mean I hate Smith.

And as another poster already pointed out, Devin Smith is a 5th year vet...far from a rookie.
And as I've already stated, I stand corrected. Kick a dead horse much?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Only until the horse stops twitching.
For someone who's apparently so high on Smith, you don't seem to know very much about him. :laugh:
I just don't think we need be too concerned about replacing your boy Cobb. We have possible in-house solutions. Are you done being mean?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You sound obsessed with Cobb. You okay?

I'm not big Cobb fan but if Cobb's signing does fall through with the texans that's one less hole that will be needed to be filled through the draft and that could be a good thing. If there is a chance the Cowboys can end up getting Cobb again I'd say look into it and possibly be able to use a valueable draft pick on another position or at the very least be able to slide the WR need down the list a little bit.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Obsessed? Not quite. Intrigued? Yes.

He would be a significantly better option than Devin Smith.

Can't fault Smith for what he did with the targets they gave him.

But Cobb really did come on in the back half of the season. I was hoping we could bring him back at the price we got him, but I'm not interested in the Texas contract, and Cobb has 18mil guaranteed.

For that money, he should be happy to nap on the bench for the next 2 seasons.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not big Cobb fan but if Cobb's signing does fall through with the texans that's one less hole that will be needed to be filled through the draft and that could be a good thing. If there is a chance the Cowboys can end up getting Cobb again I'd say look into it and possibly be able to use a valueable draft pick on another position or at the very least be able to slide the WR need down the list a little bit.
You sound obsessed about Cobb as well. Why would his deal with the Texans fall through? Even then, wouldn't he then a free agent? If he wanted to play for the Cowboys he would not have moved on to the Texans. I doubt he would come back to the Cowboys.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cobb got his money. No way he backs out to return here for much less pay. So he may get a few less snaps, but that pay per play ratio goes up. ess chance on injury too.
However, I do not think Cooks will take away that many snaps actually.

Besides, he said it himself, he thinks Watson gives them a better chance. So he can sit on the couch and say, hey, Deshaun...pass...me the popcorn while watching Dak win the SB.....:D

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You sound obsessed about Cobb as well. Why would his deal with the Texans fall through? Even then, wouldn't he then a free agent? If he wanted to play for the Cowboys he would not have moved on to the Texans. I doubt he would come back to the Cowboys.

You've missed the point entirely. No I'm not an obsessed Cobb fan, and I already stated that I'm not a big Cobb fan. The point is, IF Cobb's deal does fall through, yes he would be a free agent but that also means he would be free to also sign again with the Cowboys. Now IF that happens it would mean that either the Cowboys could use that draft pick on another position or at the very least push the need for a WR down the list a piece. If you don't like Cobb fine, it doesn't bother me a bit. Now if Cobb's deal does fall apart and he decides he doesn't want to listen to an offer from the Cowboys or signs elsewhere, so be it. The point has always been IF his deal does fall apart it it's going to hurt the Cowboys to at least inquire about it. I will admit that the chances are very low, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Stranger things have happened.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If my memory is correct (50-50 chance) Cobb agreed to a deal before hopkins was traded. I would have to seriously doubt that

A) Cooks presents more of a hurdle for Cobb than Hopkins would for playing time.

B) The texans would have paid Cobb what they did only to push him down the depth chart. He still has a defined role on that team, and Cooks shouldnt change that.

I see less than 1% chance that Cobbs deal falls through. It would look really bad on a player to back out at this point, so unless something odd happens with his medicals I dont think this is realistic.