Did Randall Cobb ever take his physical and sign his Texans contract?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cobb doesn't want to play with Prescott. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you. The money being reported is actually what he's paying the Texans.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If my memory is correct (50-50 chance) Cobb agreed to a deal before hopkins was traded. I would have to seriously doubt that

A) Cooks presents more of a hurdle for Cobb than Hopkins would for playing time.

B) The texans would have paid Cobb what they did only to push him down the depth chart. He still has a defined role on that team, and Cooks shouldnt change that.

I see less than 1% chance that Cobbs deal falls through. It would look really bad on a player to back out at this point, so unless something odd happens with his medicals I dont think this is realistic.

What you said has it's points but actually Cobb was signed the day after they traded Hopkins. Hopkins was traded March 16 and the texans signed Cobb March 17.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know there were some delays with physicals and finalizing contracts because of the preventative COVID measures. A couple of high profile player contracts, such as Michael Brockers, have already fallen through long after they were reported,

I wonder if it’s too late for Randall Cobb to back out now that the Texans have traded for Brandin Cooks. Cobb could find himself as 4th WR on the depth chart if he can’t beat out Kenny Stills. Being the #3 for your former HC in Dallas has to seem a little more appealing now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-in-process-of-trading-for-rams-brandin-cooks

It would only "fall through" if he fails the physical.

It's not as if he ended the season on IR. He played 61% of the snaps in game 16 which was a 47-16 win over the Skins.

If he did have nagging injury issue, the longer the delay before the physical, the more likely he passes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If my memory is correct (50-50 chance) Cobb agreed to a deal before hopkins was traded. I would have to seriously doubt that

A) Cooks presents more of a hurdle for Cobb than Hopkins would for playing time.

B) The texans would have paid Cobb what they did only to push him down the depth chart. He still has a defined role on that team, and Cooks shouldnt change that.

I see less than 1% chance that Cobbs deal falls through. It would look really bad on a player to back out at this point, so unless something odd happens with his medicals I dont think this is realistic.

Cooks has played as a true starting WR. He has not been limited to being a slot WR.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know there were some delays with physicals and finalizing contracts because of the preventative COVID measures. A couple of high profile player contracts, such as Michael Brockers, have already fallen through long after they were reported,

I wonder if it’s too late for Randall Cobb to back out now that the Texans have traded for Brandin Cooks. Cobb could find himself as 4th WR on the depth chart if he can’t beat out Kenny Stills. Being the #3 for your former HC in Dallas has to seem a little more appealing now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-in-process-of-trading-for-rams-brandin-cooks
There likely is an offer and acceptance signed, contingent upon passing the physical and working out contract details. Even if there isn't (though I'm sure there is), a verbal agreement can still be binding. Bottom line is he is committed to the point he can't just walk away just because he changed his mind.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
while I agree with you in Devin smiths potential, he was definitely not a rookie last year.
Most don't recognize that Smith was a former 2nd round investment byt JETS.. jets jets.. blah.
But in the same consideration, Smith is 28,, if this is his prime,, he better hurry the hell up.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He hasn’t officially signed and hasn’t taken a physical.

Could it fall through? I suppose but I can’t imagine under what circumstances that might happen.

Cobb is not likely to just suddenly bail out at the last minute just because they signed Cooks.

In my opinion he still has more opportunity in Houston than he had here

ESPN, in their Cooks article, also had this to say about Cobb

“The one non-Cooper wideout to get a significant guarantee over two years in this draft class is Randall Cobb, who received a three-year, $27 million deal with $18 million guaranteed from Houston. Based on the rest of the market, Cobb's value was realistically somewhere around one year and $5 million.”

Even more reason for Cobb to be happy with his choice
There is a legal term called 'breach of contract'.

It applies to written as well as oral contracts.

What a lawsuit if Houston renigs.

And why would we stepup to pay what Houston committed to?

We wouldn't.

Besides, this draft has a bumper crop of receivers. It's like Candyland for that in 2 weeks.

Patience grasshopper.

:omg:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You've missed the point entirely. No I'm not an obsessed Cobb fan, and I already stated that I'm not a big Cobb fan. The point is, IF Cobb's deal does fall through, yes he would be a free agent but that also means he would be free to also sign again with the Cowboys. Now IF that happens it would mean that either the Cowboys could use that draft pick on another position or at the very least push the need for a WR down the list a piece. If you don't like Cobb fine, it doesn't bother me a bit. Now if Cobb's deal does fall apart and he decides he doesn't want to listen to an offer from the Cowboys or signs elsewhere, so be it. The point has always been IF his deal does fall apart it it's going to hurt the Cowboys to at least inquire about it. I will admit that the chances are very low, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Stranger things have happened.
You are saying I missed a point I did not miss. Cobb has already had a chance to remain with the Cowboys yet he declined that opportunity. You think he's going to just come back to the Cowboys? No! Not just no, hell no! It's not going to happen so the draft narrative that you are desperate to make does not work. AND it does not hurt the Cowboys what so ever to move on because they have in-house options to replace the 3WR position. If you are truly not obsessed with Cobb then you too will now move on from this topic and move on. But I bet you can't do it because I've already said... You are obsessed with the guy. Prove me wrong.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most don't recognize that Smith was a former 2nd round investment byt JETS.. jets jets.. blah.
But in the same consideration, Smith is 28,, if this is his prime,, he better hurry the hell up.

if I wasn’t an Ohio state fan I might not have known myself. And yeah he does need to show he can turn the corner

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
What you said has it's points but actually Cobb was signed the day after they traded Hopkins. Hopkins was traded March 16 and the texans signed Cobb March 17.
Good to know. I knew it was pretty close, but was thinking it was the other way around.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You are saying I missed a point I did not miss. Cobb has already had a chance to remain with the Cowboys yet he declined that opportunity. You think he's going to just come back to the Cowboys? No! Not just no, hell no! It's not going to happen so the draft narrative that you are desperate to make does not work. AND it does not hurt the Cowboys what so ever to move on because they have in-house options to replace the 3WR position. If you are truly not obsessed with Cobb then you too will now move on from this topic and move on. But I bet you can't do it because I've already said... You are obsessed with the guy. Prove me wrong.

Because I don't dislike or hate Cobb like you obviously do then according to you the only other choice is to be obsessed with him. Here's the HUGE flaw with your thinking. I can and do care less about Cobb other than if things should change where there is an opportunity for the Cowboys to again sign Cobb it would be a good move for the Cowboys. Next unless you either have had discussions with Cobb or you have some crystal ball or you're some kind of mind reader, and that you know ALL the actual real true facts about any negotiations Cobb and the Cowboys had prior to Cobb taking the texans offer, to say as fact that if the opportunity arose that Cobb would not sign with the Cowboys again is presuming more than what you can.

None of your in-house options have gone to a Pro Bowl. The last slot receiver the Cowboys had, Beasley, his last season with the Cowboys he had fewer total yards than Cobb, his longest catch was less yards than Cobb's and his ave yards per catch were less than Cobb's. So Cobb pretty much out performed the slot receiver that many here were so upset that the Cowboys let get away.

Lastly as I said before the chances of this happening are low, but stranger things have happen in this league.