Did Romo wave-off the punt team on that 4th and short?

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
So has anyone involved, confirmed that what looked like happened, in fact did?

Because if that was the case, right or wrong, that IMO, is inexcusable and speaks volumes to me as to what the underlying problems are with this head coach and his staff.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I made a thread about this after the game.

Some say the play was changed by Wade Phillips and others say they saw Wade Phillips saying something like "He can't do that".

Tony Romo also claimed that the play was changed.

I believe Tony Romo overruled Wade Phillips.

Regardless, why was the Punt Unit even on the field in that situation anyway?

cmacch

Reaction score
Uh...I don't think it needs any more confirmation. It was precisely what it looked like. Did you not see the look of shock/indignation on Wade's face?

For the record, I think it was the right move. I'm more upset that the punt team was even sent out in the first place.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2537108 said:
So has anyone involved, confirmed that what looked like happened, in fact did?

Because if that was the case, right or wrong, that IMO, is inexcusable and speaks volumes to me as to what the underlying problems are with this head coach and his staff.

does it matter?

which is worse, the player overruling the coach, or the coach being incredibly stupid?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
of course he did. the whole world saw it. they think we are stupid enought to believe it didn't happen.

The most pathetic thing was how Wade stood there and accepted it. At least call a time out and let Romo come to the sidelines, but to stand there and let Romo run the play was as weak a move by a HC that I have ever witnessed in professional sports.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537131 said:
of course he did. the whole world saw it. they think we are stupid enought to believe it didn't happen.

The most pathetic thing was how Wade stood there and accepted it. At least call a time out and let Romo come to the sidelines, but to stand there and let Romo run the play was as weak a move by a HC that I have ever witnessed in professional sports.

BINGO

Also shows just how much the players on this team think about him.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Don't worry, the on-the-spot Dallas media will ask Wade about that play during his press conference today.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
According to Romo the play came in from the sidelines via the helmet speaker. Anyone claiming something otherwise is pure speculation on their part since you don't know. Romo knows the coaches know fans do not know but of course that will not stop many from throwing out their own story based on nothing tangible

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
honestly this should be filed away under the "who cares??" section

it doesnt matter...the season was over before that play anyway

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2537143 said:
According to Romo the play came in from the sidelines via the helmet speaker. Anyone claiming something otherwise is pure speculation on their part since you don't know. Romo knows the coaches know fans do not know but of course that will not stop many from throwing out their own story based on nothing tangible

The point is that the Punting Unit should have never ever been on the field to be waived off.

SDogo

Reaction score

If that's the case Wade either needs a award for acting or his radio was not working because you can not tell me he knew what was going on. Of course now that I think about he never knows whats going on and always looks like that.:mad:

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2537122 said:

I agree w/ your first point but I'm dubious on the 2nd.

While I too think going for it was a no-brainer, having your QB overrule the coaching staff on it, is a verrrrry slippery slope.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
We should just start referring to Wade Phillips as this team's defensive coordinator, not its head coach. It's clear he's not the head coach, regardless of what the nameplate on his desk might state.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score

So Wade standing there saying "Punt" and then looking out at the field wondering what was going on and then going to Romo at the end of the drive (turnover) and saying "You can't do that" didn't happen yesterday? Everyone in America including Troy and Joe Buck imagined that?

Are you serious? Did you watch the game?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2537122 said:
I made a thread about this after the game.

Some say the play was changed by Wade Phillips and others say they saw Wade Phillips saying something like "He can't do that".

Tony Romo also claimed that the play was changed.

Thats exactly what he said.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537164 said:
So Wade standing there saying "Punt" and then looking out at the field wondering what was going on and then going to Romo at the end of the drive (turnover) and saying "You can't do that" didn't happen yesterday? Everyone in America including Troy and Joe Buck imagined that?

again, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

they were getting pasted anyway, and I guarantee you probably 3/4 or more of the team thought Wade was coaching his last game...they certainly played like it

SDogo

Reaction score
What you did not see after he said that was his mind saying, "but I'm going to let him because I have no backbone"

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2537157 said:
I agree w/ your first point but I'm dubious on the 2nd.

While I too think going for it was a no-brainer, having your QB overrule the coaching staff on it, is a verrrrry slippery slope.

I agree with you DC.

What I am trying to say in my second point was that the Punting Unit should have never been on the field because as you state, it was obvious that we were in 4 down territory.

I am not condoning what Tony Romo did, I am just saying that Tony Romo shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

But I agree, it is a slippery slope and Wade Phillips may have lost some credibility (whatever credibility he has left) when that happened.

cmacch

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537164 said:

:hammer:

I honestly don't even know how this is arguable