Did Romo wave-off the punt team on that 4th and short?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537164 said:
So Wade standing there saying "Punt" and then looking out at the field wondering what was going on and then going to Romo at the end of the drive (turnover) and saying "You can't do that" didn't happen yesterday? Everyone in America including Troy and Joe Buck imagined that?

Are you serious? Did you watch the game?

Wow, I thought Wade Phillips said this when Tony Romo was on the field.

Didn't know he actually walked up to him afterwards and told him that.

Wow...just wow.

Well, its 4 PM CST and its quitting time. It really sucks that last night was the last time we will see the Cowboys play for a while. Ehhh, maybe not :).

Peace

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537131 said:
The most pathetic thing was how Wade stood there and accepted it. At least call a time out and let Romo come to the sidelines, but to stand there and let Romo run the play was as weak a move by a HC that I have ever witnessed in professional sports.

Agree 110%.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537164 said:
So Wade standing there saying "Punt" and then looking out at the field wondering what was going on and then going to Romo at the end of the drive (turnover) and saying "You can't do that" didn't happen yesterday? Everyone in America including Troy and Joe Buck imagined that?

Are you serious? Did you watch the game?

Oh you read lips? yes I watched the game and I watched the post game and Romo comment to this when asked directly about the play. Were you in the huddle? How the frick do you know what went on? Give me a break this made up BS by dumb ars fans gets old. Could it be Romo just lied about it? maybe but since he was there and got the call over the headset and you were sitting on the couch I tend to believe Romo more than someone who does not have a clue.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
dbair1967;2537169 said:
again, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

they were getting pasted anyway, and I guarantee you probably 3/4 or more of the team thought Wade was coaching his last game...they certainly played like it

No, I agree it doesn't matter as to the game itself. I actually couldn't believe Wade said "punt".

But it gave the clearest example anyone could ever imagine that this team had absolutely NO respect for it's HC. Can you imagine Romo doing that if Parcells was on the sidelines?!

For that reason alone it does matter to me.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537189 said:
No, I agree it doesn't matter as to the game itself. I actually couldn't believe Wade said "punt".

But it gave the clearest example anyone could ever imagine that this team had absolutely NO respect for it's HC. Can you imagine Romo doing that if Parcells was on the sidelines?!

Why does that surprise you. He said FG when we were losing 44-3. :rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
cmacch;2537123 said:
I'm more upset that the punt team was even sent out in the first place.

I was more upset that we were in that position in the first place.

dbair1967;2537128 said:
does it matter?

which is worse, the player overruling the coach, or the coach being incredibly stupid?

I cant figure that out?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2537187 said:
Oh you read lips? yes I watched the game and I watched the post game and Romo comment to this when asked directly about the play. Were you in the huddle? How the frick do you know what went on? Give me a break this made up BS by dumb ars fans gets old. Could it be Romo just lied about it? maybe but since he was there and got the call over the headset and you were sitting on the couch I tend to believe Romo more than someone who does not have a clue.

No need to argue about it. We are on the same team here. Wade clearly said "punt". I mean you don't have to be a professional lip reader to see that's what he said. If someone had the video it would be easy to see.

The point is not about bashing Romo, the point is Wade did not have control over his own team, whether Garrett called a play or not.

Wade was clearly calling for a punt so he should have done something to stop it whether Romo did it on his own or with a call from Garrett.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2537187 said:

So I'm a "dumb ars" and clueless because I have an opinion!? Interesting.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I was just glad to see a QB sneak when we needed one yard for once. Where's that been all year when we've been bouncing a quick pass to the WRs?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2537189 said:

In that sense it does surprise me some, but Danny White did it to Tom Landry too in a kinda/sorta way so I guess I'm not all that shocked. I bet similar things have happened.

I think the bigger issue with me is I am just starting to not care anymore. How an owner of a football team can pay the kind of money Jones did to these guys, then watch as the coaching staff and players both make a mockery of the season and play like garbage, then make no changes is beyond me.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2537250 said:
I was just glad to see a QB sneak when we needed one yard for once. Where's that been all year when we've been bouncing a quick pass the the WRs?

you mean like they did in this same game?