Did Showers earn a roster spot?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not sure his performance solidified a roster spot?

My hunch is we will be watching the waiver wires closely . Good news is Showers most likely would clear waivers here landing on PS.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Did the club completely blow it with Davis. They certainly need someone to fill out the roster and add some depth at QB. Showers needs more time and if Prescott gets injured or doesnt perform well its a season completely lost.

Macnalty

Reaction score
The game is clearly going at a different speed for him especially when compared to Dak. Now I must say he is typical of most backup QB's you are not going to get someone who is semi competent or else they would be starters on some of the NFL teams. Look at Goff he is third string at best and I would say that Showers and Goff are very similar, I have not seen enough of Wentz to have a opinion.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did the club completely blow it with Davis. They certainly need someone to fill out the roster and add some depth at QB. Showers needs more time and if Prescott gets injured or doesnt perform well its a season completely lost.
I've been pushing for the Cowboys to sign Davis since they were talking to Cleveland about McCown when Davis was their #3 quarterback. However, I think when we finally learn more details about Davis' visit we will find out that he was concerned that when Romo came back that he would be inactive each game and possibly released after one season, and the team would not guarantee anything more to him.

When Romo retires, if we don't have a good backup in place for Dak by then, I suspect veterans will be lining up to come here. For now though, everyone knows that they may be coming for the #2 spot now, but by mid-season and probably next season as well, they'll be #3, and with so few good quarterbacks in the league right now, there are plenty of better opportunities elsewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There might be better opportunities for us this weekend from waiver wires. Surely, we'll be watching closely,

Reaction score
I'd say at this point, what's the difference. He knows the offense......can be serviceable at handing off the ball, take off and run and hit on some passes. Anyone available that we'd sign I think would be just as challenged. Use the remaining cap space for dfense as that would help the team, Dak/Tony/Showers the most.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't like Showers last year, and still don't this year. By that I meant as a back up. But was fine with him on the PS for the most part.
Was willing to give him a chance last night to change my opinion. He played decent, I said that in the game thread. And Houston was blitzing a lot. Why are teams always blitzing us in the preseason, as they want to win against us.

Anyway, he did do some good things, and if he is on the PS again, I would be ok with that. But we do need a legit vet QB with some actual real game experience as Dak's backup.

Reaction score
I wasn't impressed, but we should cut him some slack. That was pure chaos out there from the very first snap. How is it possible that our backup OL can be that bad? The league's best starters and the worst backups? WTH?

Showers would be much better with the starters around him,,, having said that though, he doesn't seem have the confidence or poise needed to handle pressure situations yet.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they are thinking Moore is the backup of the future and they have enough QBs to get through this season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not be surprised if they are thinking Moore is the backup of the future and they have enough QBs to get through this season.

Moore will be a FA coming off of IR. So he will be a low cost player most likely. So yes, would not surprise me to see him back here next year.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

My hunch is we will be watching the waiver wires closely . Good news is Showers most likely would clear waivers here landing on PS.
I saw a massive contrast between Showers and Dak. Dak NEVER missed his receivers by as much as Showers did. Dak was precise, accurate, and was very smart. I think Smart needs a couple more years, and I know in this day and time, there's no such time table.

I think it would be smart to let Showers go to the PS, if he's picked up, so be it.

LittleD

Reaction score
I've been pushing for the Cowboys to sign Davis since they were talking to Cleveland about McCown when Davis was their #3 quarterback. However, I think when we finally learn more details about Davis' visit we will find out that he was concerned that when Romo came back that he would be inactive each game and possibly released after one season, and the team would not guarantee anything more to him.

When Romo retires, if we don't have a good backup in place for Dak by then, I suspect veterans will be lining up to come here. For now though, everyone knows that they may be coming for the #2 spot now, but by mid-season and probably next season as well, they'll be #3, and with so few good quarterbacks in the league right now, there are plenty of better opportunities elsewhere.

I think Davis is looking for an opportunity and multi-year deal. He knows given he's going to be on another team in consecutive years that
his time is running out to be a starter or primary backup. I suspect Dallas did not want to make a 3 year commitment to the guy since his
overall record is 3x7.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Practice squad material at best, good arm strength, not really accurate at times and rushes things under perceived pressure...

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No. He is perfect for the practice squad this year. A vet should be added after week 1. If you add one now and Dak went down we wouldn't have a shot anyways with only a handful of days to learn a system, so signing one now really doesn't matter.

Austin Davis might have even gotten a playbook and a handshake agreement already.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
His preseason as a whole has been uneven which is to be expected. Remember, last year the team had him playing special teams and safety (IIRC). This was his first offseason playing QB exclusively.

That said, he's very erratic with his throws. If you're looking at the finer points of passing his ball placement was all over the place. He needs more seasoning on the practice squad but there are some tools worth trying to hone further.

erod

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are waiting to see if Aaron Murray is released before they commit anything to Davis.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Practice squad material at best, good arm strength, not really accurate at times and rushes things under perceived pressure...
Practice squad should be reserved for someone that has upside...... Showers has no future, time to go in another direction......just can't do it until we sign someone else to the 53

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The coaches already know him. I doubt one game changed their mind either way.

I don't really care if he is Dak's backup or if they add a veteran from cuts. Neither option has much chance of winning.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He isn't accurate enough to be a NFL quarterback. I would put him on the PS and see if he can improve but I would of also signed Austin Davis.