Did Showers earn a roster spot?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Showers completed only 46.8% of his passes in preseason and missed on a number of throws yesterday. His passer rating for the preseason was 66.5, he did anything but earn a roster spot. He's had two training camps with the team and looks just like he did with the opportunities he got last summer. He got even more of an opportunity this year getting an entire game yesterday.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
After that showing, I may never Showers again. He'll clear waivers fa sho now....how does one digress from his Rookie campaign with such an All-Pro Coaching staff.
Well showers looks a little better after a year with our coaches, lol but with Dak I say he has developed himself and will continue to do that.
Being a cowboy fan, he probably knew it was all on him if he wanted to be good!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Showers completed only 46.8% of his passes in preseason and missed on a number of throws yesterday. His passer rating for the preseason was 66.5, he did anything but earn a roster spot. He's had two training camps with the team and looks just like he did with the opportunities he got last summer. He got even more of an opportunity this year getting an entire game yesterday.

I don't know about that. I Don't even remember him even throwing the football last year. He had a great camp. People forget that reports stated he looked better than Dak. Dak got a shot with the #1's and Showers didn't. I think Showers would've looked a lot better had his #1 been Dez and not Andy Jones.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I believe Showers did well enough to qualify for a spot on the practice squad but that's all. He just hasn't proven capable as a backup. I also think the staff wanted a veteran backup QB all along and intentionally chose not to make it easy for Showers to look his best -- just a hunch, however.

Actually, it remains to be seen if the staff can even manage to find a way to agree upon a veteran as our backup QB in time for the opener. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I Don't even remember him even throwing the football last year. He had a great camp. People forget that reports stated he looked better than Dak. Dak got a shot with the #1's and Showers didn't. I think Showers would've looked a lot better had his #1 been Dez and not Andy Jones.

If he had a great camp last year then how come you can't remember him throwing the football? If he had a "great camp" he wouldn't have been playing behind Dustin Vaughn in 2015 who got most of the preseason reps. I remember Showers throwing the ball last year in preseason he played some late in games and looked just like he has this year. Reports said he was looking good in OTA's and better than Dak but once camp started Dak moved well past him. I'll be surprised if the Cowboys bring Showers back next season he's not an NFL QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If he had a great camp last year then how come you can't remember him throwing the football? If he had a "great camp" he wouldn't have been playing behind Dustin Vaughn in 2015 who got most of the preseason reps. I remember Showers throwing the ball last year in preseason he played some late in games and looked just like he has this year. Reports said he was looking good in OTA's and better than Dak but once camp started Dak moved well past him. I'll be surprised if the Cowboys bring Showers back next season he's not an NFL QB.

I'm speaking about THIS year. And he may have been behind Vaughn but Vaughn was the one cut and not even attempted to be put on PS. He's not a NFL QB now. That doesn't mean you write him off.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm speaking about THIS year. And he may have been behind Vaughn but Vaughn was the one cut and not even attempted to be put on PS. He's not a NFL QB now. That doesn't mean you write him off.

Showers didn't have a great camp this year, Dak did. You're thinking about the reports in OTA's saying he looked better than Dak. If he had a great camp he wouldn't have been stuck playing with scrubs all preseason. I see no future with him as an NFL QB.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
As others have said NO. He backed into it and he still may end up on the PS. Once ??Sanchez is ready he would go to PS if I'm GM.

slick325

Reaction score
No! But I guess he knows the system while Sanchez doesn't so he actually is the backup QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Showers didn't have a great camp this year, Dak did. You're thinking about the reports in OTA's saying he looked better than Dak. If he had a great camp he wouldn't have been stuck playing with scrubs all preseason. I see no future with him as an NFL QB.

He was stuck behind Dak because Dak was a draft pick and Showers was a small free agent contract signing. I've heard both Dak and Showers have had good camps. I heard earlier on that Showers looked better than Dak. I'm not saying that to say Dak's better or worse i'm saying that just 4 weeks ago you guys said Dak couldn't play in this league and now he's the future which I do agree with but people judged him before he even stepped on the field. I feel Showers getting that same treatment playing with scrubs. I'm just hoping for a practice squad spot. Not a roster spot to be dedicated to him. I'd surely rather have him than trade a 1st for Sam Bradford.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He could easily clear waivers to go to the practice squad. Why waste a roster spot when that can happen?

landroverking

Reaction score
No cut him.
Don't send Tony to IR and go with Dak & Mark.
In maybe 3 weeks Tony could dress as the 3rd QB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was stuck behind Dak because Dak was a draft pick and Showers was a small free agent contract signing. I've heard both Dak and Showers have had good camps. I heard earlier on that Showers looked better than Dak. I'm not saying that to say Dak's better or worse i'm saying that just 4 weeks ago you guys said Dak couldn't play in this league and now he's the future which I do agree with but people judged him before he even stepped on the field. I feel Showers getting that same treatment playing with scrubs. I'm just hoping for a practice squad spot. Not a roster spot to be dedicated to him. I'd surely rather have him than trade a 1st for Sam Bradford.

If it was all about being a draft pick Romo would have never moved past Drew Henson who the Cowboys traded a 3rd round pick for. A player you drafted will always get a closer look early but Romo proved if an undrafted free agent makes plays that catches the coaches eye and continues to show progress they'll move ahead of everyone. Romo brought the Cowboys from behind to get a win on a last ditch drive against the Raiders in a preseason game with scrubs on the field. As time was running out he made play after play with players who were on the bubble. Everyone gets some opportunity to shine in OTA's and training camp and it's up to the player to make the most of their opportunities. Dak moved way ahead of Showers in training camp and it's been beyond obvious who the better QB is between them.

Showers fundamentals are awful and shows no accuracy missing open receivers which is why he's been the last QB we've seen in preseason the past 2 years. He doesn't know how to position himself to make an accurate throw. He overthrew a wide open receiver last week that was only 15 yards away when he had plenty of time to set himself to make an accurate throw. It's like some of you are watching a different QB than me because he sucks at times. I have no interest watching a QB who loses fumbles and flings the ball around throwing incompletions all day. By the way I'm not one of those who 4 weeks ago said Dak couldn't play. I knew nothing about him and was in a wait and see mode.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If it was all about being a draft pick Romo would have never moved past Drew Henson who the Cowboys traded a 3rd round pick for. A player you drafted will always get a closer look early but Romo proved if an undrafted free agent makes plays that catches the coaches eye and continues to show progress they'll move ahead of everyone. Romo brought the Cowboys from behind to get a win on a last ditch drive against the Raiders in a preseason game with scrubs on the field. As time was running out he made play after play with players who were on the bubble. Everyone gets some opportunity to shine in OTA's and training camp and it's up to the player to make the most of their opportunities. Dak moved way ahead of Showers in training camp and it's been beyond obvious who the better QB is between them.

Showers fundamentals are awful and shows no accuracy missing open receivers which is why he's been the last QB we've seen in preseason the past 2 years. He doesn't know how to position himself to make an accurate throw. He overthrew a wide open receiver last week that was only 15 yards away when he had plenty of time to set himself to make an accurate throw. It's like some of you are watching a different QB than me because he sucks at times. I have no interest watching a QB who loses fumbles and flings the ball around throwing incompletions all day. By the way I'm not one of those who 4 weeks ago said Dak couldn't play. I knew nothing about him and was in a wait and see mode.

Didn't Romo start out behind Quincy and Henson? Then for them to cut Quincy and bring in Vinny? Then for them to be reluctant to sit Bledsoe for him until mid season? Are we going to sit here and pretend like investment doesn't go into account into this depth chart and player personnel? You say he's awful. I won't argue that. I say the personnel around him was awful and there were far more dropped balls and poor route running and poor blocking than there was poorly thrown balls or poor fundamentals. That's just my opinion.

Showers was raw. And still is. To expect the kid to go from El Paso to being a professional quarterback in the span of a year was wishful thinking by anyone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Didn't Romo start out behind Quincy and Henson? Then for them to cut Quincy and bring in Vinny? Then for them to be reluctant to sit Bledsoe for him until mid season? Are we going to sit here and pretend like investment doesn't go into account into this depth chart and player personnel? You say he's awful. I won't argue that. I say the personnel around him was awful and there were far more dropped balls and poor route running and poor blocking than there was poorly thrown balls or poor fundamentals. That's just my opinion.

Showers was raw. And still is. To expect the kid to go from El Paso to being a professional quarterback in the span of a year was wishful thinking by anyone.

Romo started behind everyone and moved his way up to becoming a franchise QB by shining in practice and preseason when given opportunities despite the personnel around him. Good QBs make the players around them better and Romo made plays regardless the personnel around him. If a QB can throw an accurate pass even an NFL scrub can catch it. Even bubble players can get open against other bubble players but it's up to the QB to find them and make an accurate throw. Parcells valued experience and Romo came from a small school but it was the playmaking ability he showed that kept him on the team. Parcells loved his guys and Bledsoe and Vinny were Parcells guys.

Parcells was a very conservative coach who was stuck in the 80s with offenses that were 4 yards and a cloud of dust. He was apprehensive about going to a passing offense but every time Romo got opportunities in practice and preseason games he made plays. Even Darren Woodson told Parcells early in Romo's career that he's the best QB on the team and he said Parcells knew it but he wanted to bring Romo along slow so he wouldn't lose him. Romo clearly outplayed Bledsoe in training camp in 06 but Parcells allowed Bledsoe to start the season due to his experience but was ready to pull him.

Parcells knew Romo was ready to play and had the hook ready for Bledsoe if things didn't go well. Parcells allowed Romo to play the entire preseason game vs Seattle in the preseason opener in 06 and he played great, so you could tell a changing of the guard was coming. As for Showers he's NOT an NFL caliber QB that's my opinion based on 2 summers watching him. He's an athlete who can run but can't pass the football accurately. You see QBs like him all the time during the summer because teams are intrigued by the duel threat they provide and hope they can develop them as passers. Showers doesn't see the whole field, has happy feet and can't make accurate throws. He'll be looking for work in the Arena league or somewhere else within a couple of years.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score

He was a backup to Tannehill, then a back up to Manziel.

His first real college experience was at UTEP.

At UTEP he did not have a lot of help. The WRs he had to throw to were just not good. LOTS of drops. But he had a knack for managing the offense. Plus UTEP was a team that leaned on its run game.

This preseason, almost every Olineman that played in front of him was cut. Almost every WR he played with was cut.

he's not gonna be a SB MVP, but he can develop into a solid, reliable backup that can manage the offense if needed

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was a backup to Tannehill, then a back up to Manziel.

His first real college experience was at UTEP.

At UTEP he did not have a lot of help. The WRs he had to throw to were just not good. LOTS of drops. But he had a knack for managing the offense. Plus UTEP was a team that leaned on its run game.

This preseason, almost every Olineman that played in front of him was cut. Almost every WR he played with was cut.

he's not gonna be a SB MVP, but he can develop into a solid, reliable backup that can manage the offense if needed

And that's all i'm saying. I'm not saying he's the second coming. All i'm saying is i've seen enough to want to see more and potentially get on that practice squad to develop. But I can't judge a guy based on playing with the talent he did. Just unfair.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo started behind everyone and moved his way up to becoming a franchise QB by shining in practice and preseason when given opportunities despite the personnel around him. Good QBs make the players around them better and Romo made plays regardless the personnel around him. If a QB can throw an accurate pass even an NFL scrub can catch it. Even bubble players can get open against other bubble players but it's up to the QB to find them and make an accurate throw. Parcells valued experience and Romo came from a small school but it was the playmaking ability he showed that kept him on the team. Parcells loved his guys and Bledsoe and Vinny were Parcells guys.

Parcells was a very conservative coach who was stuck in the 80s with offenses that were 4 yards and a cloud of dust. He was apprehensive about going to a passing offense but every time Romo got opportunities in practice and preseason games he made plays. Even Darren Woodson told Parcells early in Romo's career that he's the best QB on the team and he said Parcells knew it but he wanted to bring Romo along slow so he wouldn't lose him. Romo clearly outplayed Bledsoe in training camp in 06 but Parcells allowed Bledsoe to start the season due to his experience but was ready to pull him.

Parcells knew Romo was ready to play and had the hook ready for Bledsoe if things didn't go well. Parcells allowed Romo to play the entire preseason game vs Seattle in the preseason opener in 06 and he played great, so you could tell a changing of the guard was coming. As for Showers he's NOT an NFL caliber QB that's my opinion based on 2 summers watching him. He's an athlete who can run but can't pass the football accurately. You see QBs like him all the time during the summer because teams are intrigued by the duel threat they provide and hope they can develop them as passers. Showers doesn't see the whole field, has happy feet and can't make accurate throws. He'll be looking for work in the Arena league or somewhere else within a couple of years.

You keep talking about what he can and can't do as if he's been given the shot to play with with actual NFL talent. Like I said above, i'm not making a argument for him being a Pro Bowl QB. I'm making the argument he's shown enough to continue to be on PS and develop. Your stance is that he can't play in this league. I'm not convinced of that. Romo developed into the QB he is today. HE didn't come in here as Tony Romo. And i'm not even making a argument he is Romo or ever will be. Dak is our future and we are going to need a backup for him and I see no reason why Showers can't have a shot to develop into that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You keep talking about what he can and can't do as if he's been given the shot to play with with actual NFL talent. Like I said above, i'm not making a argument for him being a Pro Bowl QB. I'm making the argument he's shown enough to continue to be on PS and develop. Your stance is that he can't play in this league. I'm not convinced of that. Romo developed into the QB he is today. HE didn't come in here as Tony Romo. And i'm not even making a argument he is Romo or ever will be. Dak is our future and we are going to need a backup for him and I see no reason why Showers can't have a shot to develop into that.

I keep saying if Showers wants to play with real NFL talent he needs to earn the right to play with real NFL talent and he didn't do it. He was playing with the same kind of talent Romo got stuck with when he first arrived as an undrafted free agent. Romo performed which elevated him past all his competition into becoming a franchise QB. It's not like the players that are brought to training camp are plucked off the streets, they've all shown some potential to receive camp invites.

Kellen Moore going down gave Showers a great opportunity. He received a lot more snaps in practice and preseason and he didn't impress. As for Dak we still don't know if he's our future that will be determined on how he plays this season. Having a rookie starter we need an experienced backup QB not a developmental project who only completed 46% of their passes in preseason.