Did the coaches had a hand-shake ?

cowboysfan

Reaction score
I think I miss that part of hand-shake during the Monday Nite game. All the talk about Wade is furious about the time-out during the last FG.
Maybe this is another Parcells-Gibbs hand-shake episode. :laugh2:

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
cowboysfan;1698629 said:
I think I miss that part of hand-shake during the Monday Nite game. All the talk about Wade is furious about the time-out during the last FG.
Maybe this is another Parcells-Gibbs hand-shake episode. :laugh2:

me, cave man.

you, human

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I think Wade is being a bit of a Wussy about the Timeout thing.

It's no different then teams fouling Shaq at the end of the game hoping he'll miss free throws and have no time go off the clock.

It's strategy, Wade. Get used to it.

dooomsday

Reaction score
Rack;1698632 said:

It's no different then teams fouling Shaq at the end of the game hoping he'll miss free throws and have no time go off the clock.

Good analogy Rack. I was just thinking about this. I dont really like the T/Os as they are being called, but all teams can do it. I can definitely see it lowering the chances of a long kick so there is an advantage to be had.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dooomsday;1698634 said:
Good analogy Rack. I was just thinking about this. I dont really like the T/Os as they are being called, but all teams can do it. I can definitely see it lowering the chances of a long kick so there is an advantage to be had.

I think the kicking team needs to just take advantage of it and use the opportunity as a practice kick.

And hey, if the end up not calling timeout then the kicker ends up kicking one with no pressure (cuz he thought they were gonna call timeout anyway).

dooomsday

Reaction score
Rack;1698635 said:
I think the kicking team needs to just take advantage of it and use the opportunity as a practice kick.

And hey, if the end up not calling timeout then the kicker ends up kicking one with no pressure (cuz he thought they were gonna call timeout anyway).

Yup. But its a fine line between a practice kick and and a sub par effort. It takes discipline I suppose.

The first time a kicker makes a game winning kick after missing the first attempt& getting a 2nd chance- the playing field will adjust itself.

Hey, at least Ks are being forced to earn their $!

TonyRomo#9

it will get to the point that every kick at the end of the game is taken twice, it is rediculous.
from how it sounds, it will be changes just a matter of the language in the rule. i say it should be like this.
in the last minuter of the game, the defense can only call timeouts before the players are set. that gets rid of the double kicks, and doesn't disrupt any of the other "non gimick" strategy timeouts.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't like the rule from a safety stand point I mean how bad would it be if you lost someone on a "practice" kick.

TonyRomo#9

thats a great point.
and when they go to decide to change the rule that will be brought up im sure.. if someone gets hurt this year from it, i guarantee it is changed.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
It's going to be changed. The fact that this "agreement" between coach and ref takes place off camera without anyone else watching the game knowing what's going on including the players? Yeah. It'll be changed.

Need further proof? Watching the NFL head of officiating on "Official Review" on NFLTA about the Jamal Lewis goal line stretch the other day he basically stated that they would never use closed feeds on replays because it prevented people at home from seeing the same footage that the refs do. That way, there could never be a question. You would have seen the same thing the refs do. Basically, they want everything out in the open.

This right here goes completely against that philosophy. So, yes, it will be changed.

TonyRomo#9

i wonder what pereira thought about that spiking call on TO. i wonder if he talks to them about vendettas against players..

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I don't really care much for the basketball analogy. I don't think a 15 foot uncontested shot is equivalent to a 40+ yard contested field goal. Hack-A-Shaq applies to so few players in the league that it isn't even practiced unless teams are playing someone who absolutely sucks at free throws and isn't replaced by a better shooter.

Calling time just before the kick is going further then just freezing the guy. Its making the guy do more then he should have to.

Its only a matter of time before someone calls a timeout and then tries to retract it when they see the kick isn't good.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Ozzu;1698676 said:
It's going to be changed. The fact that this "agreement" between coach and ref takes place off camera without anyone else watching the game knowing what's going on including the players? Yeah. It'll be changed.

Need further proof? Watching the NFL head of officiating on "Official Review" on NFLTA about the Jamal Lewis goal line stretch the other day he basically stated that they would never use closed feeds on replays because it prevented people at home from seeing the same footage that the refs do. That way, there could never be a question. You would have seen the same thing the refs do. Basically, they want everything out in the open.

This right here goes completely against that philosophy. So, yes, it will be changed.

they could go picture-in-picture on it but even that wouldn't make it any more legit of a play. its just weak.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Tony Romo;1698668 said:
it will get to the point that every kick at the end of the game is taken twice, it is rediculous.
from how it sounds, it will be changes just a matter of the language in the rule. i say it should be like this.
in the last minuter of the game, the defense can only call timeouts before the players are set. that gets rid of the double kicks, and doesn't disrupt any of the other "non gimick" strategy timeouts.

I think we may end up with something like "the timeout must be called soon enough to allow the officials on the field to stop the action before the ball is placed in play. Once the ball is in play the official will not allow the timeout, even if it was called before the ball was placed in play."

In other words, you can't wait until the very last second to call a timeout. If the official doesn't signal timeout on the field before the center hikes the ball, tough noogies.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I like what Shaun King suggested on NFL Live (he's pretty good now and going to get better) yesterday. He suggested that in that situation, the timeout needs to be called on the field, by a player, specifically the Special Teams Captain who's in the middle of the formation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack;1698632 said:

Wade did not like the rule before it happened to us and still does not like it and has said so. Other coaches and some covering the NFL don't like it either and are expecting it to change next season. By the way Wade did meet Jaron at mid field as well as some of the other Buffalo coaches who he is still friends with.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Calling a timeout before the kicker starts his kicking motion is good, sound football. That's not a problem. The problem is calling the timeout when the kicker has started his motion towards the ball.

Change the rule to specify that, if the head coach calls for a timeout at or immediately after the kicker begins his kicking motion, the kicking team will be rewarded three points regardless of whether the actual kick was good or flew wide or was blocked. THAT would cut that crappy calling for a timeout down to nothing.

nathanlt

Reaction score
DallasEast;1698913 said:
Calling a timeout before the kicker starts his kicking motion is good, sound football. That's not a problem. The problem is calling the timeout when the kicker has started his motion towards the ball.

Change the rule to specify that, if the head coach calls for a timeout at or immediately after the kicker begins his kicking motion, the kicking team will be rewarded three points regardless of whether the actual kick was good or flew wide or was blocked. THAT would cut that crappy calling for a timeout down to nothing.

That is flat out ridiculous, there is no possibility of calling a timeout DURING A PLAY. When the ball is snapped, no timeouts can be called.

Otherwise, coaches could call timeouts right before a player crosses the goal line.

There is virtually no way to define prohibiting timeouts right before a snap. The best I can think of is that coaches must be allowed to call a timeout at the instant they want it, not phrase it as, "I want a timeout right before the ball is snapped" Then the official waits until the ball is snapped, and halts the play.

This way, the coach must decide about when the ball is being snapped, then call the timeout right then. If he can't get the words out before the ball is snapped, the game is over. None of this "I want a timeout right before the ball is snapped!"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nathanlt;1699009 said:
That is flat out ridiculous, there is no possibility of calling a timeout DURING A PLAY. When the ball is snapped, no timeouts can be called.

Otherwise, coaches could call timeouts right before a player crosses the goal line.

There is virtually no way to define prohibiting timeouts right before a snap. The best I can think of is that coaches must be allowed to call a timeout at the instant they want it, not phrase it as, "I want a timeout right before the ball is snapped" Then the official waits until the ball is snapped, and halts the play.

This way, the coach must decide about when the ball is being snapped, then call the timeout right then. If he can't get the words out before the ball is snapped, the game is over. None of this "I want a timeout right before the ball is snapped!"

I agree. Waiting until the center hikes the ball and then calling Timeout is BS and there is no way anyone would know the exact time the center is going to snap it. If you want to ice the kicker than do so when the kicker gets lined up then call your timeout as it has always been done.