Did the coaches had a hand-shake ?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Rack;1698632 said:
I think Wade is being a bit of a Wussy about the Timeout thing.

It's no different then teams fouling Shaq at the end of the game hoping he'll miss free throws and have no time go off the clock.

It's strategy, Wade. Get used to it.

your are comparing a meaningless basketball game to one of 16 hard-fought games every NFL team plays. Wade, if angry over the timeout, is entitled to him being that way.

However, had Folk failed on the second try, I wonder how smug the it's-ok-to-do-dat-timeout faction would be today.

If I never see another football game that win over the Bills and Coach Jerk will comfort me for all time. A great comeupance for that idiot coach. Yes, before you argue that it's legal, I have one word fer you: Sportsmanship.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I am astonished there are so many fans who think giving the opposing coach the right to decide whether or not a game-winning Cowboys field goal attempt will count is a good idea.

It is exactly the same thing as giving the other team a "This Field Goal Does Not Count" button and allowing them to push it - if they want to - right before the snap.

I think they should do away with this immediately.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adamknite;1699335 said:
NFL Rule they added in 2005:
During field goal and extra point attempts, the defensive team will be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct if it calls consecutive timeouts in an attempt to "ice" the kicker. Previously, the second timeout request was only denied by officials, and thus could be used to distract the kickers.

This is good. I felt stupid enough jumping up and down and screaming over a timeout just the once.

jbz64

Reaction score
kevwun;1699059 said:
The free throw analogy would work if the opposing coach waited until Shaq was about to shoot a free throw and then called timeout. Shaq gets fouled because he can't shoot free throws and gives the other team the best shot at getting the ball back without running time off the clock or extending their opponents lead. If Shaq was a good free throw shooter, he wouldn't get fouled at the end of games. The other team is exploiting a flaw in his game. It's like picking on a bad cornerback. Coaches calling a timeout a split second before the snap are exploiting a loophole in the rules. The two situations aren't really similar.

Exactly. If they are going to use a basketball analogy then as soon as the center touches the ball the the defense cannot call time-out. In basketball the opposing team has to call a time-out prior to the ref giving the ball to the shooter.

It's going to come down to where all final FG's are going to have made twice or kicked twice. Bad rule. I'm just glad we have ICEMAN for our kicker.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jbz64;1699658 said:
Exactly. If they are going to use a basketball analogy then as soon as the center touches the ball the the defense cannot call time-out. In basketball the opposing team has to call a time-out prior to the ref giving the ball to the shooter.

It's going to come down to where all final FG's are going to have made twice or kicked twice. Bad rule. I'm just glad we have ICEMAN for our kicker.

Why are they going to have to be kicked twice? If the long snapper hears the whistle in time he won't snap the ball. If the refs do their job and make sure to blow the whistle and step in and stop the play, then the long snapper won't snap the ball. If the kicking team wants to make sure the opposition doesn't call time out first, then maybe they will start going to a quicker cadence and snapping it early on the play clock. That would make it hard for the coach to guess when the ball is going to be snapped.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
joseephuss;1699729 said:
Why are they going to have to be kicked twice? If the long snapper hears the whistle in time he won't snap the ball. If the refs do their job and make sure to blow the whistle and step in and stop the play, then the long snapper won't snap the ball. If the kicking team wants to make sure the opposition doesn't call time out first, then maybe they will start going to a quicker cadence and snapping it early on the play clock. That would make it hard for the coach to guess when the ball is going to be snapped.

If the coach calls time out before the snap, the official may not have time to stop the play but it still doesn't count. That's the problem with what is happening. The coach is waiting until the last moment to call the time out, knowing that the official will not have time to stop the play.

If the coach guesses wrong and the official gets the whistle blown before the snap, it's not an issue. That is the same "icing" that has been going on for years. What the coaches are doing is getting the official's attention and telling them "I'm going to call a timeout. Watch me until I'm ready for you to stop the clock."

All kickers have a certain routine and timing that they prefer. The coach is using that knowledge to anticipate the snap and get the timout called just before the snap but late enough so that the official can't keep the play from starting. Once the snap comes, the kicker is focused on making his kick. He isn't watching for the official to wave his hands and blow the whistle so he follows through on his kick. That takes energy that he may not be able to recover before he has to try the kick again.

Folk's first kick would have been good from 60 yards but the second kick was shorter by several yards.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Hey, here's a big turn on this whole argument. If the kicking team has a timeout, why don't they call it before the snap?

They'll give their kicker a free shot, and let him know his first kick is going to be practice, because they're going to use their timeout.

There's two sides to this tactic.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
nathanlt;1700157 said:
Hey, here's a big turn on this whole argument. If the kicking team has a timeout, why don't they call it before the snap?

They'll give their kicker a free shot, and let him know his first kick is going to be practice, because they're going to use their timeout.

There's two sides to this tactic.

:bow:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Rack;1698632 said:
I think Wade is being a bit of a Wussy about the Timeout thing.

It's no different then teams fouling Shaq at the end of the game hoping he'll miss free throws and have no time go off the clock.

It's strategy, Wade. Get used to it.

When you fould shack you build up fouls for the penalty, put him on the line and a player can foul out. In other words there is a tradeoff.

Sure its a strategy but its a cheap one.

In basketball terms it would be like being able to call timeout while someone is up in the air for a jumpshot.