News: Did The Cowboys Improve At Backup Quarterback?

Doomsay

Reaction score
Better question might be, did they get worse? Probably not.

How is that a good or even a remotely "better" question? Did they get a worse backup option than 1-11 scrubs from last year? Is that your standard? "Probably not."

Jerry can do no wrong.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Better question might be, did they get worse? Probably not.

If one believes in coachability as what happened with Tony Romo, himself...then Moore, Showers, and Prescott are all being coached up much better than in the past season. I'll take Moore in place of who walked onto the field as the 'leader' last season. Naw, I'll stick to a better label. To what quality that will settle into, remains to be seen. I'll agree to that...

CCBoy

Reaction score
How is that a good or even a remotely "better" question? Did they get a worse backup option than 1-11 scrubs from last year? Is that your standard? "Probably not."

Jerry can do no wrong.

The position is what it is, but that remains to be seen. But quit using Jerry Jones as a personal 'whipping boy.'

When Dallas is hunting a specific target, many teams move around to head them off at the pass. Dallas is prominent and that's the NFL. The Cowboys targeted quarterbacks high in the draft...that didn't happen. But you complaining about Zeke Elliott and Jerry also?

As to Marinelli:

I think Marinelli does a good job with what he has. The three best players on the defense -- name them. It's not very impressive especially when you consider injury history for Lee and Scandrick, suspensions for others.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...owlishaw-rooting-cowboys-defense-good-offense

There has been change, but growth is still to come.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. The biggest need in the offseason, per Stephen Jones, went unaddressed.

Thankfully though, we did address the future in Dak Prescott. Lose the battle, win the war. A little perspective, people.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's a fairly tortuted set of assumptions.

Linehan calls the plays. Almost every play they run has sight reads that vary where the ball goes based off of what the defense does. Multiple variants, both run and pass. The offense is effective and has been the entire time people have been complaining about how productive it isn't.

Cassel's problem wasn't familiarity with the offense. He wasn't careful with the football, including throws to covered receivers at the sideline that burned us multiple times. Weeden wasn't adept at throwing players open, but he otherwise took better care of the ball. His limitations were in terms of his skill set and not his familiarity with the offense. Or any limitations of the scheme.

Either way, our problems are not on offense. We've had defensive limitations for years that nobody around here ever wants to consider the giant limitation they've actually been.

It's certainly amazing that we've enjoyed a stretch of offense over the last decade that most teams in the NFL would envy.

We've enjoyed a stretch on defense over the last decade that almost no team in the NFL would envy.

And people were happy we used one of our highest draft picks of all time on a running back. And they have the nerve to judge our GM.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's certainly amazing that we've enjoyed a stretch of offense over the last decade that most teams in the NFL would envy.

We've enjoyed a stretch on defense over the last decade that almost no team in the NFL would envy.

And people were happy we used one of our highest draft picks of all time on a running back. And they have the nerve to judge our GM.

I've said it many many times at this point, but I don't understand how our defensive struggles escape so much criticism while the relatively productive offense gets blasted for every sleight real or imagined despite being pretty productive over the course of the last decade. It makes no sense to me.

There are way too many smart football people who watch every game religiously here. It's pretty obvious where the problems are. Yet somehow they get glossed over in favor of things that don't matter or aren't issues to begin with.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Nope.

And I agree with Broaddus that we also erred in not playing Moore earlier. Once it was obvious Cassel gave us no competitive advantage whatsoever, he should have been replaced.

Broaddus was on NFL radio on Sunday, and wasn't very complimentary of Moore. He said if the coaches were true to themselves that Showers showed more in the OTAs and should be given a chance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus was on NFL radio on Sunday, and wasn't very complimentary of Moore. He said if the coaches were true to themselves that Showers showed more in the OTAs and should be given a chance.

Yeah. I can see why any scout would not be all that high on K. Moore. He doesn't have pro football measurables. There's no getting around it.

And I know Broaddus likes Showers. I just don't see that part. Showers looks like every other bottom roster QB to me.

At least the backup QB will be fun to watch in preseason. I really wish we'd brought in someone decent to compete with Moore and let Showers fight it out with Prescott to see who gets the developmental spot.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspect any improvement at backup QB is yet to be determined. I'll venture to say it's possible that Moore will display at least some measure of improvement with another year of experience. It's also very possible that the same can be said for Showers. Prescott will also be obliged to display abilities as a competent backup as time and experience allows for him to do so. The jury will yet be out on the extent of our gains, if any, though.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broken bones heal, bro. It's not like he has arthritis or something.

I'm generally concerned about the back condition, since that's a chronic joint problem in a career-ending location. I'm surprised how many people seem to think Tony's collarbone is somehow a significant issue for the rest of his career, though. As if he were born with trick collarbones or something. It's just such a dumb thing to worry about in a league with 64 collarbones on 32 QBs and all of them unable to withstand more than 7 pounds of direct pressure and most of them playing behind OLs that are a lot worse than ours is.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm generally concerned about the back condition, since that's a chronic joint problem in a career-ending location. I'm surprised how many people seem to think Tony's collarbone is somehow a significant issue for the rest of his career, though. As if he were born with trick collarbones or something. It's just such a dumb thing to worry about in a league with 64 collarbones on 32 QBs and all of them unable to withstand more than 7 pounds of direct pressure and most of them playing behind OLs that are a lot worse than ours is.

Yes, the back will need to be monitored, but all indications are that this continues to improve. They have managed it well. He has done more in this off-season than in 2014 when he was coming off the surgery and played 15 games.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the back will need to be monitored, but all indications are that this continues to improve. They have managed it well. He has done more in this off-season than in 2014 when he was coming off the surgery and played 15 games.

He's a tough SOB, and he's as healthy as he's going to get. I wish we had a better QB group, overall, but I'm not really any more worried about Tony than I would be any QB of his age and mileage. Less, probably, since he's got the good OL and the reputation for playing through anything that can be played through. I do hope he works on getting rid of the ball earlier when he's scrambling around buying time out of the pocket. I love the magic as much as anybody else, but it's not worth the risk of getting the ball out with a DL bearing down.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He's a tough SOB, and he's as healthy as he's going to get. I wish we had a better QB group, overall, but I'm not really any more worried about Tony than I would be any QB of his age and mileage. Less, probably, since he's got the good OL and the reputation for playing through anything that can be played through. I do hope he works on getting rid of the ball earlier when he's scrambling around buying time out of the pocket. I love the magic as much as anybody else, but it's not worth the risk of getting the ball out with a DL bearing down.

Oh, but when he pulls one off...:flagwave:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
If your "narrative" is that Romo doesn't miss significantly more games than his top quarterback contemporaries, you need to fix your narrative.

Romo averages 13 games; Rodgers, 11.5; Big Ben is 14.25; Cutler 13.4; Palmer 13....

Eli & Brady probably have the best, but guess who's not here for the first 4 this year.

chagus

Reaction score
Nope Dallas went straight to their arrogance department and said (mexican voice)
We don't need no stinking back up's. we got Romo and he's good for every game
this upcoming season. wait for it

pruittigoe.gif

I give you the 2016 Cowboys waiting to happen

Wow... your season is over. I hear baseball is exciting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo averages 13 games; Rodgers, 11.5; Big Ben is 14.25; Cutler 13.4; Palmer 13....

Eli & Brady probably have the best, but guess who's not here for the first 4 this year.

I wouldn't put Cutler or Palmer among the top quarterbacks list, but since becoming the team's starter, Romo has missed 27 games. Aaron Rodgers has missed 9. Roethlesberger 15 games. Tom Brady missed 0 games other than his knee injury in '08. Drew Brees 1 game, and Rivers hasn't missed one and neither has Eli Manning. His brother didn't either when he was playing.