Did the Dallas Cowboys improve at defensive end in 2018?

waving monkey

Reaction score
[In this series, we’ll take a look at the additions and subtractions at every position on the Dallas Cowboys roster. We’ll compare where the Cowboys were to where they currently sit and ask the ultimate question. Did the Cowboys improve or not? In other words, do you feel better about the state of the roster going into the 2018 season?]

Last season:
DeMarcus Lawrence - 16 games played, 35 tackles, 14.5 sacks, four forced fumbles, two recoveries, one pass deflection, Pro Bowl selection

Tyrone Crawford - 16 games played, 18 tackles, four sacks, two pass deflections, one forced fumble, one recovery

Taco Charlton - drafted 28th overall, 16 games played, 15 tackles, three sacks, one forced fumble, one pass deflection

Benson Mayowa - 14 games played, 13 tackles, one sack, signed with Cardinals in free agency

Charles Tapper - Two games played, two tackles, one sack, placed on IR in October

Damontre Moore - signed as free agent, three games played, three tackles, released in October

Randy Gregory - suspended indefinitely for violations of substance abuse policy

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rcus-lawrence-taco-charlton-dorance-armstrong

MCMetal69

Reaction score
I'd say they got better , but with Irving missing the 1st 4 games (figures) , it's anybody's guess how it will translate on the field......................

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd say they got better , but with Irving missing the 1st 4 games (figures) , it's anybody's guess how it will translate on the field......................

That is a pity, but we have plenty of guys to fill in. Especially if Gregory gets reinstated. He is an unexpected plus. He'll also have plenty of time to get into game shape.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
That is a pity, but we have plenty of guys to fill in. Especially if Gregory gets reinstated. He is an unexpected plus. He'll also have plenty of time to get into game shape.

Yeah , but let's temper that a bit , seeing as how Gregory hasn't even played a football game in over 2 years..............

Techsass

Reaction score
Right now everything is just potential, but I think we've gotten better. I'm guessing DLaw/Taco on the left & Crawford/Gregory on the right. Also really want to see Tapper. Keep hearing how fast he is, just haven't had a chance to see it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
[In this series, we’ll take a look at the additions and subtractions at every position on the Dallas Cowboys roster. We’ll compare where the Cowboys were to where they currently sit and ask the ultimate question. Did the Cowboys improve or not? In other words, do you feel better about the state of the roster going into the 2018 season?]

Last season:
DeMarcus Lawrence - 16 games played, 35 tackles, 14.5 sacks, four forced fumbles, two recoveries, one pass deflection, Pro Bowl selection

Tyrone Crawford - 16 games played, 18 tackles, four sacks, two pass deflections, one forced fumble, one recovery

Taco Charlton - drafted 28th overall, 16 games played, 15 tackles, three sacks, one forced fumble, one pass deflection

Benson Mayowa - 14 games played, 13 tackles, one sack, signed with Cardinals in free agency

Charles Tapper - Two games played, two tackles, one sack, placed on IR in October

Damontre Moore - signed as free agent, three games played, three tackles, released in October

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rcus-lawrence-taco-charlton-dorance-armstrong
No we did not improve, just expecting improvement from an invested group. Its about a 50/50 proposition, there are worse investments, but this group of DE starters prospects is middle of the pack in the NFL,,, nearly every team has about the same talent level.

waving monkey

Reaction score
No we did not improve, just expecting improvement from an invested group. Its about a 50/50 proposition, there are worse investments, but this group of DE starters prospects is middle of the pack in the NFL,,, nearly every team has about the same talent level.
rotation

Techsass

Reaction score
So far...but there's a good chance our investments are about to reach maturity.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hey Monkey,, I know you pay attention, and this could probably be its own thread, but doesn't it piss you off that DWare decided to sign an exclusive coaching contract with the Denver Donkeys,,,,,, some loyalty there right?
Oh well, Charles Haley still loves us.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So far...but there's a good chance our investments are about to reach maturity.
David Irving needs to jump on that wagon,,,
but yes, to a slight degree,,, I feel that there is at least an upside at DE improvement this year.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Hey Monkey,, I know you pay attention, and this could probably be its own thread, but doesn't it piss you off that DWare decided to sign an exclusive coaching contract with the Denver Donkeys,,,,,, some loyalty there right?
I do think Ware feels some loyalty to us but ya I think he should be associated with the Cowboys

Techsass

Reaction score
David Irving needs to jump on that wagon,,,
but yes, to a slight degree,,, I feel that there is at least an upside at DE improvement this year.
Up until DLaw hit last year, we were below average. David Irving boosted our Dline to the verge of respectability. Crawford, to me should be our rotation, not our starter. We'll see how it goes.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Last season:

To be determined. Depends a lot on Ealy and Taco's progression. Certainly no regression. I'm not counting on Gregory in any way yet

ShiningStar

Reaction score

Feel free to remind us all and Ware what the Cowboys did for him. He gave us more than we gave him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Added depth with Ealy. We'll see what a year does for Taco. Armstrong was an interesting pick. I'll say the possibility is for improvement more so than the interior of the line. I think Tapper is toast and and zero expectations for Gregory

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Let's see, we lost Mayowa and Moore, the latter of which only played 3 games. I couldn't care less about seeing either walk to be honest.

We picked up Ealy, Taco has another year under his belt.

This time last year Tapper was probably injured and Irving was on a 4 game suspension so that's neutral. We might even get something from Gregory but I doubt it.

I'd say they're only a smidgen better than this time last year and that's due to experience. I think Taco is going to take a step forward this year but I don't know that.