Did the Dallas Cowboys improve at defensive tackle in 2018?

waving monkey

Reaction score
[In this series, we’ll take a look at the additions and subtractions at every position on the Dallas Cowboys roster. We’ll compare where the Cowboys were to where they currently sit and ask the ultimate question. Did the Cowboys improve or not? In other words, do you feel better about the state of the roster going into the 2018 season?]

This season:
Maliek Collins - 16 games played, 22 tackles, 2.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries

David Irving - Eight games played, 22 tackles, seven sacks, six pass deflections, one forced fumble, missed four games due to PED suspension, missed four games with concussion

Stephen Paea - Four games played, seven tackles, one TFL, retired October 13th (chronic knee condition)

Brian Price - Eight games played, eight tackles, one pass deflection, placed on IR November 8th, re-signed two-year deal in free agency

Richard Ash - 10 games played, 12 tackles, one pass deflection

Datone Jones - Signed in November, four games played, nine tackles, one sack

Lewis Neal - Practice squad, promoted in November, seven games played, eight tackles

Daniel Ross - Signed off Chiefs practice squad in November, three games played, five tackles, one sack, one forced fumble

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-cowboys-improve-at-defensive-tackle-in-2018

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[In this series, we’ll take a look at the additions and subtractions at every position on the Dallas Cowboys roster. We’ll compare where the Cowboys were to where they currently sit and ask the ultimate question. Did the Cowboys improve or not? In other words, do you feel better about the state of the roster going into the 2018 season?]

This season:

David Irving - Eight games played, 22 tackles, seven sacks, six pass deflections, one forced fumble, missed four games due to PED suspension, missed four games with concussion

Stephen Paea - Four games played, seven tackles, one TFL, retired October 13th (chronic knee condition)

Brian Price - Eight games played, eight tackles, one pass deflection, placed on IR November 8th, re-signed two-year deal in free agency

Lewis Neal - Practice squad, promoted in November, seven games played, eight tackles

Daniel Ross - Signed off Chiefs practice squad in November, three games played, five tackles, one sack, one forced fumble

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-cowboys-improve-at-defensive-tackle-in-2018

They have the same players plus some new players and others returning that were injured.

If Collins plays it seems like they have to be at least as good as last season.

Irving: Only played 8 games and the defense and the defense seemed to play well at the end of the season when he was out injured.

Datone Jones: Now he gets a full offseason in the scheme. He was adapting on the fly last season and still played reasonably well.

Brian Price: He missed much of last seaaon with an injury.

Jihad Ward: New option.

Antwuan Woods: New option.

Sydla

Reaction score
They are a really good DT from having a really good front seven IMO.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Eventually, Dallas is going to have to stop ignoring the pressing need up front. The staff and writers keep talking up Jihad Ward. I guess we'll know more come training camp.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The term for the Dallas defensive tackles is serviceable. No one is dominant when crunch hits the carpet...but they can find a nugget from time to time. There is no dominance in this group.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Major issue when we face a good running team......

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

This season:

Pretty much the same cast of characters with the exception of Ward. Did they improve? Depends on Ward's ability to play DT 3 while Dino sits on his arse. The other option is Jones because I think Crawford will stay at home at RDE. Please, no criticism about Ward sucking in Oaklland. When he sucks here, fine

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Sometimes it doesnt matter. As i stated, Dallas is a paper team, always looks awesome on paper. Sometimes coaches just dont fear us and if you have a decent runner, just keep running it. We dont have a line that fears anyone and i couldnt use the word stout.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Don't see it.

The bargain bin approach at DT is one of the primary factors holding us back and helping us not to win in the playoffs.

W/ all the moves we made @ DE I thought Crawford would be going back to DT...but the word now is he has lost a bunch of weight to play DE...I think we are in pretty big trouble.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wait, it was Blogging The Boys. I should have known.

Alexander

Reaction score
W/ all the moves we made @ DE I thought Crawford would be going back to DT...but the word now is he has lost a bunch of weight to play DE...I think we are in pretty big trouble.
Agreed.

Alexander

Reaction score
I am still amazed at the lack of action in the undrafted free agent market.

That just tells me the team did not view the position as important after ignoring it in the draft.

Then I look back at the trash picks of Joey Ivie and Jordan Carrell last year and I just chuckle softly to myself.

ORIkbpl.gif

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
We're entering the year with mostly the same people except with one more year of experience. I think Ward is going to do well here and more than compensate for Collins' injury.

Since we're mostly the same but have added Ward and will have Jones all year I'm saying we've improved but not enough to get excited about yet.

Techsass

Reaction score
First off I'm not as sold on Collins as most, especially @ 1tech. I'm sort of upbeat about Ward & Jones, but can't say I'm excited - yet. Keep thinking about Hurst (my pet cat) lasting all the way into the 5th. That was almost a freebie risk pick, but we weren't interested.

Next year's draft is supposed to be loaded with Dlinemen. Maybe they're working with a 2 year window in mind. Or maybe the guys we have are actually a lot better than I realize.