News: Did The Dallas Cowboys Improve At Safety In 2017?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did The Dallas Cowboys Improve At Safety In 2017?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...n-jones-jeff-heath-xavier-woods-kavon-frazier

...The biggest loss of the offseason in my mind was Barry Church. He was a great leader for this team and a reliable player. Still, there was no way the Cowboys were going to match the deal the Jaguars ponied up.

As we’ve discussed before, Jeff Heath doesn’t get enough credit outside of the legendary jokes and memes made of him. Heath gets judged by his rookie season where he had to start nine games way before he was ready. It’s not like he played horribly with 60 tackles, three passes defensed, an interception, and a forced fumble. He just had bad outings against guys like Adrian Peterson and Calvin “Megatron” Johnson while they were in their primes. Heath has made far more positive plays than negative and he’s going to get every opportunity to be the starter next to Byron Jones.

Speaking of Jones, folks like to bring up the interception totals but that’s not seeing the entire picture with him. He’s by far the best athlete on the defense and his ability to wash out tight ends is extremely valuable. With Jones, you have a guy that is only scratching the surface as a player. Now that the secondary has had a much-needed facelift, expect Jones to benefit from a more athletic supporting cast...

sbark

Reaction score
doesnt tapes show he actually had AP stacked up.......

Megatron ate up Carr & Heath that day..............saw no adjustments, at some point you force them to run the ball with a crowded secondary.........

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe not week 1 but at some point this season the improvement at safety will be seen by all.

Church has always been overrated and Wilcox wasn't working out. Heath is the man!

Just need the young guys to get a few snaps and learn the pro game.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I did want Church back out of all the secondary players, but the reality is he was a solid B player at best. What I do know is Heath has 4 interceptions compared to 5 for Church in 53 less career starts. Those stats are pretty telling and its clear Dallas was tired of nothing happening in the secondary. I do believe we will generate more turnovers and if thats how you're measuring improvement than yes we will be better.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I did want Church back out of all the secondary players, but the reality is he was a solid B player at best. What I do know is Heath has 4 interceptions compared to 5 for Church in 53 less career starts. Those stats are pretty telling and its clear Dallas was tired of nothing happening in the secondary. I do believe we will generate more turnovers and if thats how you're measuring improvement than yes we will be better.

Rod Marinneli likes a defense that creates turn overs...and yea, one can see that element in who was added to the team over the past two drafts. Valid point, guy...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes!!

You'd think the BTB homers would know that.

Heath was going to put AP on his back before the other Viking came up and pushed Peterson over the goal line.

Nothing any safety could have done better.

Getting the task done doesn't leave much ground for failure...and funny how the 'high ground' film watches rarely create discussable topics as well, when not expanded and given a general view starting point.

Some here, would also include a picture of Jason Garrett clapping and excitedly announcing, 'nice try guy. Great effort.'

But wait a second...all hinged upon a single play,,,a,,,single...play?:)

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Did the Cowboys improve @ DT?....No

Did the Cowboys Improve @ safety?...No

Did the Cowboys Improve @ CB?...Probably not

Did the Cowboys Improve @ DE?...Maybe

Did the Cowboys Improve @ LB?...Remains to be seen.

Did the Cowboys Improve @ Coaching?....Oh hell no:(

Yet...we have a better defense. Go figure....:rolleyes:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Guessing somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? :rolleyes:

We've had only OTAs and a minicamp just yet. Let's give it a while to decide.

dfense

Reaction score
Chu
Church was getting long in the tooth for a position that takes a lot of punishment. He has broken bones for several years in a row. It's a young mans position.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes!!

You'd think the BTB homers would know that.

Heath was going to put AP on his back before the other Viking came up and pushed Peterson over the goal line.

Nothing any safety could have done better.

This happens on a lot of plays where an offensive lineman comes in and moves the pile. Fans act like the running back won the fight for extra yardage when the back was losing the battle until getting a 300-pound boost.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

We need to improve at backup QB also

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Most of it remains to be seen.

At DT, there's the opportunity to improve with Collins, Thornton, Crawford and Irving. Collins reportedly was giving Martin some good battles in minicamp and Thornton got at least one good mention. Time to acclimate to the defense should help both players. The needle seems to also be pointing up for Irving, although the suspension could mess that up, and Crawford's contribution depends on whether he can shake the injury problems he's been having. Terrrell McClain played pretty well for a lot of last season so there's probably some drop-off there to Paea, but whether these spots are improved will mostly depend on the progress of Collins and Thornton.

At S, Jones should be better in his second year starting at safety and although I'm wary of Heath, holding status quo with Church wouldn't have helped the position improve. Heath did show some good things when given opportunities, so there is the possibility of improvement. Blanton has starting experience and probably is on the level of Wilcox at least while we'll have to see if Frazier has improved or if Woods is better than where he was drafted. The wild card here IMO is Awusie. I believe he could step in and easily be an improvement at safety if he's needed because he's physical enough but should have better coverage skills than anyone we have at the position or had last year.

At CB, Scandrick being healthy and Brown improving, which it seems that he has based on reports, would give us a stronger starting tandem than we had last year, although Claiborne played quite well when healthy. I can't say Carroll is an improvement, but he might be on a similar level as Carr while we've also got several rookies who should give us better depth and competition at corner than we've had for years, knocking off JAGs like Leon McFadden that we've had to keep just to fill out the position group.

At DE, we invested a first-round pick in the position, so at least we've tried to improve. Outside of that, it's a question of whether Moore is better than Jack Crawford, Mayowa can pick up from where he left off at the end of the season, Irving can do what he did in a couple of games consistently and Lawrence can bounce back from injury. We also don't know what we can expect from Tapper.

At LB, improvement primarily depends on Jaylon Smith. If he is far enough along to be everything Dallas thinks he can be, we've got a pretty good unit. Wilson established himself during the season as a strongside option, so it's a question of whether he can build on that. Plus, the reports on Hitchens are that he's looking better than he ever has.

As far as coaching goes, I have no problem with Marinelli. I think he has been given the short end of the stick while Garrett built his offense and has done about as well as could be expected with what he has. This year, the team has made a more concerted effort to give him the pieces that he needs, so we should expect to see some improvement based on that, and if we don't, then the only excuse that is acceptable is if we have a rash of injuries to players the defense can't afford to be without. I don't think the defensive push is done yet, but there needs to be some progress this year before we add more parts next year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did the Cowboys improve @ DT?.....Remains to be seen.

Did the Cowboys Improve @ safety?....Remains to be seen.

Did the Cowboys Improve @ CB?....Remains to be seen.

Did the Cowboys Improve @ DE?....Remains to be seen.

Did the Cowboys Improve @ Coaching?....Oh hell no unless they fire all the coaches and immediately promote K.Moore from Backup QB to HC

Yet...I am going to complain about something Go figure....:rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score

Youre assuming every pick this year will not pan out, as well as Tapper and possibly Jaylon