Did the layoff hurt us?

saspurstx21

Reaction score
I never make threads or post here at CowboysZone but after reading pages and pages of threads, noone has mentioned this.

Phillips said he gave the team time to get away from football and to just have fun before preparing for the game. Even before yesterdays loss I was scared that we would come out flat, undisciplined, and unprepared. We did just that. If I was a player on the team, I would want to focus heavily on the game for most of the 2 weeks before the playoffs. Coaching was definitely a factor in the loss.. As mentioned by someone else here on the board, it seems WP acts more like a fan than a coach.
Anyone else think the layoff had something to do with the teams poor play?

utrunner07

Reaction score
With out a doubt. Now Im not saying it was Tony's Mexico trip that hurt (although he still should not have gone) but rather Wade's entire aproach. Instead of prepraring he gave the team AND his coaches time off. None of them were prepared....I think that is grounds for firing IMO, and I dont doubt even after what Jerry said yesterday that he is considering it. So to answer your question, I don't think the layoff hurt us, but rather the way Phillips had his team use the layoff.

saspurstx21

Reaction score
I agree, thats more of what I meant the thread to be about. Phillips' decision to give the team so much time off.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
No, our preperation hurt us. Every team out there wants a bye week. It's what the staff does with said team during that week.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
It gave us a fans an extra week of football.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1902829 said:
No, our preperation hurt us. Every team out there wants a bye week. It's what the staff does with said team during that week.

I agree. Also we were had been playing poorly since the Green Bay game, which should have given them more reason to prepare differently during the bye week. We barely beat Detroit and Carolina, and we got embarrased by the Eagles. I know the coaching staff did not put much stock into the Washington game, and it showed. But based on the way we played the previous 3 games, I thought we should have really prepped hard for that game and trested it like a playoff game.

I told a coworker last week I did not feel comfortable about this game, simply because of our poor play for the past month.

saspurstx21

Reaction score
bysbox1;1902869 said:
I agree. Also we were had been playing poorly since the Green Bay game, which should have given them more reason to prepare differently during the bye week. We barely beat Detroit and Carolina, and we got embarrased by the Eagles. I know the coaching staff did not put much stock into the Washington game, and it showed. But based on the way we played the previous 3 games, I thought we should have really prepped hard for that game and trested it like a playoff game.

I told a coworker last week I did not feel comfortable about this game, simply because of our poor play for the past month.

Lol this is what I meant the thread to be about..should have named the topic different.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
bysbox1;1902869 said:

I got blasted for that. Hmmmm howd it go for those who blasted me?:D

bysbox1

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1902900 said:
I got blasted for that. Hmmmm howd it go for those who blasted me?:D

Not very well for those that basted you . . .

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1902829 said:

I dont know if it was preparation.

If the team and coaches would have "pressed" I think we still lose.

For once... I am going to put it ALL on the players. Garrett said about 5-6 games ago... we werent executing.

Crayton had a chance.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
We were playing like crap well before the layoff.

But when people would say something like hey this guy was bad or that guy was bad or this needs to be fixed or this needs to be adjusted...they would get the old...

Well so and so is 13-3 or the Defense is 13-3 or the Offense is 13-3 like nothing was wrong or needed to be fixed or you couldn't see that things were going wrong even when they were winning....sometimes barely against teams like Detroit.

What they really needed the week before the playoffs was to get away and forget about football.:rolleyes:

Now they have all off season to get their minds off football.

the big 88

Reaction score
I don't think it was the layoff we were struggling offensively the last four weeks of the season! Open your eyes, people wanna ***** about the things that had nothing to do with it. Could wade have made better choices? Yes, however it wasn't all on his back. Like T.O said they lost as a team.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
YoMick;1903033 said:
I dont know if it was preparation.

If the team and coaches would have "pressed" I think we still lose.

For once... I am going to put it ALL on the players. Garrett said about 5-6 games ago... we werent executing.

Crayton had a chance.

We had a habbit of taking our foot off the pedal. Basically our coaches telling the team the Commanders game didn't matter set the tone for the play offs in my opinion. With a young team and new coaches that is a huge mistake.

But, the players do have to execute.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1902844 said:
No.. not getting the ball in TO hands hurt us...

And that Bum patrick Crayton
maybe if owens didn't give up on a few passes in 4th quarter it woulda happened.

Reaction score
Rampage;1903107 said:
maybe if owens didn't give up on a few passes in 4th quarter it woulda happened.

You must have TO confused with Pat "All mouth, no hands" Crayton?

Or are you referring to when Romo threw behind TO or underthrew him with his Pennington like Deep Ball...

Please elaborate...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1903128 said:
You must have TO confused with Pat "All mouth, no hands" Crayton?

Or are you referring to when Romo threw behind TO or underthrew him with his Pennington like Deep Ball...

Please elaborate...
the deep ball was a little underthrown. but if he went up to get it it would've been no problem. that deepball into the endzone that romo threw was the sorriest attempt to catch a pass that ive ever seen from owens

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Rampage;1903136 said:
the deep ball was a little underthrown. but if he went up to get it it would've been no problem. that deepball into the endzone that romo threw was the sorriest attempt to catch a pass that ive ever seen from owens

Blaming Owens...WOW.

There are many to blame before Owens.

Reaction score
Rampage;1903136 said:

Are you talking about the deep ball on the left side that was tipped, thus altering the trajectory of the ball? Or the ball that Romo threw high and behind TO when he was on the slant?