Did the NFC East just get a little tougher?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
RG3's dislocated ankle has been confirmed and ESPN doctors believe it's season ending. That means Kirk Cousins will be the starter this season -- a move that many football fans believed would make the Commanders better but that they were too scared to do (since they spent so much on RG3). So do you think this makes the Commanders a contender now in the NFC East? Before today, most experts believed Philly would run away with the division. The Giants are obviously a bad team this year and are battling for the #1 overall pick with Tampa Bay. That leaves the Commanders who, before today, most people didn't take seriously. I think Cousins might surprise the league like division rival Nick Foles did. He stepped in today and put up 41 points. Also, we play Washington the last week of the season. The previous 3 seasons, we played (and lost to) a division rival for the NFC East crown in Week 17. Could be interesting.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
the Commanders might be a problem....rg3 going down is a nightmare to us.

the giants really looking bad..

the eagles will be a threat as long as mccoy is in the mix.

really hoping luck carves them up tomorrow.

Proximo

Reaction score
One game isn't much of a sample size but RG3 didn't look too hot out there in week 1. Going off of what we know it's hard to say they're not better off with Cousins. You have to wonder, what if the Skins hadn't traded up for RG3 and instead just took Cousins in the mid-rounds and spent their other picks somewhat intelligently?

Starting to very much look like RG3 is going to be the bust that many thought he'd end up being.

We'll need to see more of Cousins in this offense before we can declare them as a force or not, but I think the division is wide open regardless.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
the Commanders might be a problem....rg3 going down is a nightmare to us.

the giants really looking bad..

the eagles will be a threat as long as mccoy is in the mix.

really hoping luck carves them up tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see how Philly plays against a good Colts team. I don't know what to expect from this yet this year. Last week was the tale of two halves. They looked awful in the first half against Jacksonville and dominant in the second. But I'm not sure how impressive the dominant second half really was considering Cousins stepped in and put up 41 against Jacksonville today.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I remember all the worshiper's of bob there were last offseason.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
One game isn't much of a sample size but RG3 didn't look too hot out there in week 1. Going off of what we know it's hard to say they're not better off with Cousins. You have to wonder, what if the Skins hadn't traded up for RG3 and instead just took Cousins in the mid-rounds and spent their other picks somewhat intelligently?

Starting to very much look like RG3 is going to be the bust that many thought he'd end up being.

We'll need to see more of Cousins in this offense before we can declare them as a force or not, but I think the division is wide open regardless.

I have a hard time slapping the bust label on RG3. I mean, he did legitimately look amazing his rookie year. He carried a bad Commanders team to the playoffs and almost beat the Seahawks before his body gave out. I know teams probably figured him out a little after his rookie year, but you can't deny that amazing talent we all saw for an entire season. I'm not sure if he looks bad because the injuries or if teams figured him out or if his rookie season was just a fluke. I feel bad for the guy if his career is over. He could have been very fun to watch. I used to love watching early Vick games.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

RG3 was their much needed marketing gimmick and the Skins are either the 2nd or 3rd wealthiest franchise in the league. They are on the brink of working out a new stadium which will only make them worth more.

This thing is all about money in the end and the marketing presence of RG3 only helped Danny develop his cash cow further.

Cousins may actually help them win because it's not all about him when he's on the field, it's about the team.

Just like Nick Foles. Just like we're gonna have to understand on our own team and run the ball, not only leave it for Romo to make happen.

Proximo

Reaction score
I have a hard time slapping the bust label on RG3. I mean, he did legitimately look amazing his rookie year. He carried a bad Commanders team to the playoffs and almost beat the Seahawks before his body gave out. I know teams probably figured him out a little after his rookie year, but you can't deny that amazing talent we all saw for an entire season. I'm not sure if he looks bad because the injuries or if teams figured him out or if his rookie season was just a fluke. I feel bad for the guy if his career is over. He could have been very fun to watch. I used to love watching early Vick games.

I don't have a hard time putting the bust label on him. Just my opinion, but when a team gives up what the Commanders gave up to draft this QB, he damn well better be able to pass out of the pocket and carve up a pro defense. This cat cannot do that.

kevm3

Reaction score
let defenses gameplan for cousins first before crowning him. RG3 can't stay on the field, so it's hard to really assess him.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
RG3's dislocated ankle has been confirmed and ESPN doctors believe it's season ending. That means Kirk Cousins will be the starter this season -- a move that many football fans believed would make the Commanders better but that they were too scared to do (since they spent so much on RG3). So do you think this makes the Commanders a contender now in the NFC East? Before today, most experts believed Philly would run away with the division. The Giants are obviously a bad team this year and are battling for the #1 overall pick with Tampa Bay. That leaves the Commanders who, before today, most people didn't take seriously. I think Cousins might surprise the league like division rival Nick Foles did. He stepped in today and put up 41 points. Also, we play Washington the last week of the season. The previous 3 seasons, we played (and lost to) a division rival for the NFC East crown in Week 17. Could be interesting.

He put up 2 td's, 14 pts.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Maybe, but give Cousins more time before anointing him. I suspect RG3 ends up on another team that really needs a quality QB next year and that Cousins will be the guy in Washington. But I don't know for sure. I do consider it possible that the Commanders win the NFC East this year.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Cousins was on pace for 30 interceptions last year.

Good point. He may end up a great QB, but he had an extended look last season and didn't exactly light it up. I think waiting a few games and seeing how he does against teams that are not the Jags is a good idea.

Brooksey

Reaction score

Yes. Cousins makes the Skins better and they are playing really good defense right now. Not worried about Philly or NY.

BigD

Got 5? We do!
Reaction score
Cousins went 0-3 to finish the season last year when the china doll was benched. Cousins look very average in those three starts. You all need to take it easy.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Much, even the giants will be better by the time we play them. The skins system seems to fit cousins really well, and if the egals knock off the colts tonight, every division game will be a dog fight.

The skins team had quit long before cousins stepped onto the field, so don't take too much stock in last year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cousins may make the Commanders better. But also, look at the team they played. People think our secondary is swiss cheese, well, Jaguars looked liked their cheese had larger holes, minus the cheese part.

I won't say RG3 is a bust at this point. But his style of play is looking like what I thought it would be, reckless.