Did the Packers know our plays?

nathanlt

Reaction score
It seemed as though the Packers knew nearly every play we were doing. The ogletree screen was tried several times, they shut it down every time. I hate to seem such a sore loser over this, but they really guessed well every time.

Cowboys can rebound, the season is not over, but this is a head scratcher! Oh... and what an injury bug we ran into today!!!

Ren

Reaction score
How could they not see the Ogletree screen coming? it's the only play they run when he's on the field

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Ren;3081082 said:
How could they not see the Ogletree screen coming? it's the only play they run when he's on the field
yup
Cochese;3081085 said:
The razerback running plays were completely figured out.
and yup cause it's the same play everytime. Jason Garrett is our downfall. backup rt and i bet Garrett comes out next week trying to throw all over the place.

Ren

Reaction score
Rampage;3081088 said:
yup

and yup cause it's the same play everytime. Jason Garrett is our downfall. backup rt and i bet Garrett comes out next week trying to throw all over the place.

way to go out on a limb on that one :lmao2:

jimmy40

Reaction score
Ren;3081082 said:
No kidding.

notherbob

Reaction score
Cochese;3081085 said:
The razerback running plays were completely figured out.

Too bad the Cowboys didn't employ Dom Capers when they had the chance; if they had, I think this game turns out differently and probably a few others as well.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
nathanlt;3081022 said:
It seemed as though the Packers knew nearly every play we were doing. The ogletree screen was tried several times, they shut it down every time. I hate to seem such a sore loser over this, but they really guessed well every time.

Cowboys can rebound, the season is not over, but this is a head scratcher! Oh... and what an injury bug we ran into today!!!

i think this goes back to last year, when we had a chance to get don capers and we didnt because brian stewart didnt want him as a consultant, which at that time was a total mistake

don capers has always killed us on defense wherever he has been

some of that too has to do with young jason garrett, he is still learning

i still feel that we should have hired dan reeves as an consultant on offense to help garrett but as u all know, jerry jones didnt like that ideal; so he threw a monkey wrench in the deal with a time clause so reeves wouldnt accept the coaching job;

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
its not a matter of knowing our plays

its a matter of their defensive scheme being able to shut down our offensive game plan

and when said offense cant adjust to whats in front of them then it sure does look like they know your plays

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
nathanlt;3081022 said:

Yes, it's not the first time Garrett has been out-coached and it won't be the last. He doesw NOT belong in the NFL. He needs to go to the college game, start out as a WR cosch or something, and work his way up. Maybe if he can do that he can learn something along the way and one day earn his way back into the NFL.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;3081143 said:
Yes, it's not the first time Garrett has been out-coached and it won't be the last. He doesw NOT belong in the NFL. He needs to go to the college game, start out as a WR cosch or something, and work his way up. Maybe if he can do that he can learn something along the way and one day earn his way back into the NFL.

Well the big bonus of having Felix was this "wildcat' formations we could run with him. I don't think we have actually given it to Felix in this package yet. Every play is a snap to Choice, who proceeds to run off tackle. There should be no question by now about that formation.

Also, if you KNOW the team is blitzing non stop, is it to much to ask for screen passes and slants until they quit? Does every throw have to be 15 yards or more down field?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
No. They didn't know our plays. However, they did spend a strong amount of time going over our every tendency on the game film. That INT took place because the DC studied us and told his players that Romo goes to Witten on the quick out 70% of the time in what might be considered a passing situation on the goal line. That's just good coaching. You put your players in position to nmake plays. Green Bay made them today.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Muhast;3081172 said:
Well the big bonus of having Felix was this "wildcat' formations we could run with him. I don't think we have actually given it to Felix in this package yet. Every play is a snap to Choice, who proceeds to run off tackle. There should be no question by now about that formation.

Also, if you KNOW the team is blitzing non stop, is it to much to ask for screen passes and slants until they quit? Does every throw have to be 15 yards or more down field?
Well in that case it leaves lots of room for variations not yet seen for later games.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
nathanlt;3081022 said:

Well, we definitely didn't see the variations in playcalling we saw last week versus Philly. This was a very vanilla looking offensive scheme.

IMO, it looked like they were pulling random plays out of a hat and just going with whatever came up. The run game wasnt' abandoned...it never showed up at all. Dallas was down 3-0 going into the 4th. Even down 10-0, I don't see why the run was abandoned.

GB's coverage was good, but with the blitzes, there was a bit of man coverage that Dallas' recievers just couldn't beat. How many plays was Ogletree in there for? What about Hurd?

Ok, Garrett *KNOWS* that we have 2 TEs, I saw proof of it today with Bennett going deep. He beat his man, he was WIDE OPEN and just a bad pass away from a likely TD. I *STILL* don't understand why Bennett isn't used more. Some folks say he's a crap route runner. Well, until he gets the chance to actually run routes in games, he won't learn. Give him a chance the way Austin got a chance, the way Ogletree's been given a chance.

If the Packers didn't know the plays Dallas was calling, then I give even more credit to their defense for being able to shut down the offense.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;3081235 said:
No. They didn't know our plays. However, they did spend a strong amount of time going over our every tendency on the game film. That INT took place because the DC studied us and told his players that Romo goes to Witten on the quick out 70% of the time in what might be considered a passing situation on the goal line. That's just good coaching. You put your players in position to nmake plays. Green Bay made them today.

From watching the Cowboys every play since Garrett got here I pretty much know what play he is about to run. I know his tendencies. He's so predictable. He loves that draw play and that quick to Witten like you said. Not to mention his genius shotgun draw from the one yard line.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3081389 said:
From watching the Cowboys every play since Garrett got here I pretty much know what play he is about to run. I know his tendencies. He's so predictable. He loves that draw play and that quick out to Witten like you said. Not to mention his genius shotdown draw from the one yard line.

I liked it just fine when we knew we were in the red zone and MBIII would power it in. If not on first down, then he'd hurdle over the line for a TD on 2nd for sure!

Whatever happened to that? :(

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I asked myself this same thing today. Honestly though? Its one thing to know an opposing teams play. You still have to stop them. They did it.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
nathanlt;3081022 said:

I doubt they knew our plays. But you know they studied and prepared like the desperate team they were. Their backs were against the wall and their season was on the line. Not a good mix.

This was a game they had to have. The Cowboys played sloppy and could not get into any kind of rythm. We still control our own destiny. Let's just hope Jenkins and Colombo are not injured too bad.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;3081102 said:
Jason got December exposed in mid November. We are doomed.

I think you're kidding, but really, that does concern me a little. Today went beyond poor execution -- a ton of our plays never stood a chance from the snap. And something's fishy about that.

Maybe it was just a very bad day... I sure hope so.