Did Wilcox return to the game?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He has the same problem most players who go for the big hit have: Hitting running backs in the shoulder pads instead of wrapping up their lower bodies. You don't always win no matter where you hit them because of momentum, the back's power, etc. Wilcox or Spillman looked bad on that play because the hit was high and Robinson just plowed through it.

Barry Church is a good example of a player who hits hard but uses sound form (most of the time). Wilcox will get better at that (even if it wasn't him on the play, he's been guilty of the same thing).

Now, I'm not trying to be hypercritical because I do think he has the ability to have a bright future in this league once he becomes seasoned. He has a good combination of speed and power, definitely isn't afraid to tackle and doesn't show a lack of awareness that would keep him from being solid in coverage.

Sorry but that is not what happened here. Please tell me with meeting Dennard on the goal line how Wilcox was supposed to get any lower so as to get at Dennard's legs. You do understand that offensive players are taught to keep their pads low and defenders away from their legs? That was just an awesome run by Dennard who kept low and thus kept his feet after being popped back half a yard from the hit.

I understand people that have issues with Wilcox, he is still learning route combinations and can be slow to react. That was not the problem there nor for much of the game although there was at least one time I saw him brain freeze.

He misses about the same amount of tackles as Church which is to say not very many.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sorry but that is not what happened here. Please tell me with meeting Dennard on the goal line how Wilcox was supposed to get any lower so as to get at Dennard's legs. You do understand that offensive players are taught to keep their pads low and defenders away from their legs? That was just an awesome run by Dennard who kept low and thus kept his feet after being popped back half a yard from the hit.

I understand people that have issues with Wilcox, he is still learning route combinations and can be slow to react. That was not the problem there nor for much of the game although there was at least one time I saw him brain freeze.

He misses about the same amount of tackles as Church which is to say not very many.

And defenders are taught to tackle from the waist down and not at the shoulder-pad level. It's different if the running back catches you flat-footed, but Wilcox was charging on the play and should have come in low. It's possible Robinson would have been able to sidestep him or go over him, but you don't stand a chance coming in high unless you have someone there to clean up after the initial contact.

Wilcox lost because he tried to deliver the knockout blow instead of going for the tackle.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And defenders are taught to tackle from the waist down and not at the shoulder-pad level. It's different if the running back catches you flat-footed, but Wilcox was charging on the play and should have come in low. It's possible Robinson would have been able to sidestep him or go over him, but you don't stand a chance coming in high unless you have someone there to clean up after the initial contact.

Wilcox lost because he tried to deliver the knockout blow instead of going for the tackle.

He did come in low. Look at Dennard's pad level. Only way Wilcox gets lower is to crawl.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He did come in low. Look at Dennard's pad level. Only way Wilcox gets lower is to crawl.

Looked at it again and he still comes in too high. Just because Robinson lowered his shoulders does not mean he got low. Wilcox comes in chest high, which means you should expect the back to get it least that low. Then its pad vs. pad and momentum vs. momentum, which DBs are going to lose more often than not.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Looked at it again and he still comes in too high. Just because Robinson lowered his shoulders does not mean he got low. Wilcox comes in chest high, which means you should expect the back to get it least that low. Then its pad vs. pad and momentum vs. momentum, which DBs are going to lose more often than not.

Were going to have to just disagree because it is pretty clear to me that Wilcox never throws or spears but instead gets low and tries to run through the tackle. He is not coming out of a 4 point stance and your expectations as to what is possible seems ridiculous.

DiResta

Reaction score
Looking at it again. Wilcox could not get his pads lower than Dennard who was coming right off tackle to get his legs but he did knock him back. Mincey overran it and gave up on the play. McClain slightly overran it. Lawrence got swallowed up and destroyed by a guard. Keith Smith couldn't navigate traffic and ran into Lawrence. Crawford let himself get pancaked.

Wilcox led with his helmet trying to get down at his legs and I can see why he came out of the game. He rang his bell but good. Don't really see how that is a negative even if he wasn't able to make the play by himself.

I'm not worried about his tackling and he is starting to make plays on the ball in the passing game.

He is a thumper no doubt. I love his game only hope he gets better and better. I seem to recall a all pro safety getting plastered by Demarco more than once. I was going to say Thomas III but really there are several he has trucked. It happens.