Did Witten retire because he knew the ship be sinking?

snadler

Reaction score
After seeing week 1, something tells me that Witten got the sense this team would be a disaster and he didn't want to waste another year playing for this team. If the Boys were a legit super bowl contender and he believed that, something tells me he's still on the roster. But he knew, saw something about the coaching, Dak, etc. that told him he needs to get out now..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After seeing week 1, something tells me that Witten got the sense this team would be a disaster and he didn't want to waste another year playing for this team. If the Boys were a legit super bowl contender and he believed that, something tells me he's still on the roster. But he knew, saw something about the coaching, Dak, etc. that told him he needs to get out now..

Not one little bit.

He was offered the Monday Night Football job opening!

And he was smart enough to know that window would quickly close and the spot would be filled if he passed.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't doubt it. He couldn't have known the full extent of what was to come, but he had inside-eyes on the goings on, so I'm sure it played a part in him leaving.

I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan, and if I were playing in the NFL, I'm not sure I'd want to be a member of the Cowboys. It's sad

John813

Reaction score
Think it was a matter of being handed a great post career opportunity.
He pondered retirement after the 2016 run.

He did restructure his deal in March, which led the FO and fans to believe he would be here through the season.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't think he KNEW the ship would be sinking, but I do think he was too easily persuaded it might be.

I love Witten like the next fan, but to me, that was a lousy way to go out for someone who otherwise had earned so much regard for his commitment... MNF simply is not the iconic stage it was for so many years when it was on broadcast TV, and it felt to me as a convenient excuse to jump ship.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't doubt it. He couldn't have known the full extent of what was to come, but he had inside-eyes on the goings on, so I'm sure it played a part in him leaving.

I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan, and if I were playing in the NFL, I'm not sure I'd want to be a member of the Cowboys. It's sad

This.

Witten has been on this team through many crappy years and he would still be here if not for the Job.

He knew, and many people told him, that if he passed on this job he probably would not get another chance at it.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If he thought we had super bowl aspirations he'd have been out there. Imagine going from Romo to Dak!

It'd be like being forced to leave Google to work for Ask Jeeves.

The moment he got a different opportunity to provide for his family he called it quits. And he's probably thinking not a moment too soon.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Sinking ship? We haven't even gotten the damn boat in the water.

I'd say it's more like it's in the water, and there are some noticeable leaks, but it's not at all clear yet whether we can or can't repair them. We're about to get another assessment, though, that should provide some good information.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Fantastic post. Another way to bash the team.

Witten was old and all his buddies were gone. Who knows if the ship is or is not sinking....not Witten, not anybody. He got a good job offer and took the candy. Good for him.

LittleD

Reaction score
Not one little bit.

He was offered the Monday Night Football job opening!

And he was smart enough to know that window would quickly close and the spot would be filled if he passed.

Most of what you say is right to the point. I would add that he most likely took a look at Dak, Garrett, Linehan & no Romo which
equals no SB this year. I would have made the decision he made without even thinking much about it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, simply NO.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

FYI...………………….The ship was never floating. And I am sure he knew that as well as anyone. At what point was the ship sailing on the open sea? It never was while he was here. Not legitimately.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It's one game. Y'all complain and moan about the same thing 2 years ago when we lost the opener against the Giants. But then went on to win 11 straight and 13 all together. Ship didn't go down then and it won't this year. If you don't play preseason then you are off week 1.

I reviewed the gun and actually seen some good things. Tyron and La'el really hurt the run game last week. Play calling wasn't great but wasn't as bad as we thought at first either