Did you EVER think T.O. would be a Cowboy after the "midfield star incident?"

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
It was eight years ago this week that Owens, before he joined the Cowboys, did his infamous 'pose on the :star: at midfield' which led to him getting clocked by George Teague.

Obviously, at the time, we were all infuriated at what he did.

Now, he has done a lot of good as a Cowboy.

But, did you EVER think that he's wear the famous silver helmet after that incident?

Also, how long did it take you to accept him as a Cowboy, given that incident?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
No

I accepted him the minute he seemed so happy about being a Cowboy.

I trusted him to be a Cowboy after his years of good behavior.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I'll admit that it took me a while to get used to the idea of TO being here strictly due to the fact that this specific incident still lingered in my mind... but I eventually got over it after experiencing the awesomeness of TO firsthand :bow:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
According to some of these people, TO still isn't a 'real Cowboy'.

http://i85.***BLOCKED***/albums/k68/thompson75/fullgetty-71644821rm009_dallas_cowb.jpg

I wonder how many of them have changed their mind....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wanted him as soon as I found out Philly might release him. I knew Irvin liked him and I thought it was pretty cool when he wore an Irvin jersey after a game.

Just to throw this out there I was the first person on this board to call for Tank Johnson as well.

Boysboy

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2288051 said:
It was eight years ago this week that Owens, before he joined the Cowboys, did his infamous 'pose on the :star: at midfield' which led to him getting clocked by George Teague.

But, did you EVER think that he's wear the famous silver helmet after that incident?

Did anyone think the Red Sox would FINALLY break their 100 year curse? Let alone overcome a 3-0 deficit against the Yankees in the NLCS that year?

Did anyone think we would have a Lakers/Celtics NBA Finals for the first time in TWENTY years?

Did anyone think we would see back-back Super Bowls won by brothers, albeit playing for different teams?

To answer your question, No-NOT in a million years. The minute he pulled those antics was also the same same minute he came into our top 5 most hated players list. However-given so many expect the unexpected happenings in sports in recent years, I'm not that surprised, ultimately.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
no, but i tell you when i did know...when he was wearing irvins jersey after we SHA-LACKED the eagles in Texas stadium a few years back.

Boysboy

Reaction score
CATCH17;2288075 said:
I wanted him as soon as I found out Philly might release him. I knew Irvin liked him and I thought it was pretty cool when he wore an Irvin jersey after a game.

Just to throw this out there I was the first person on this board to call for Tank Johnson as well.

Not me-the minute Philly kicked him off their team, the thought of him wearing a Cowboys uniform got me VERY nervous. After the season ended, I was relieved at first when Denver wanted him(and almost traded for him). The next minute when he signed with us, I just threw up my hamburger the minute ESPN reported it.

But now that all is said and done-I'll admit I'm very appreciative of what he's done here. He's a HUGE contributor to our O, you can't deny that. If you take him out of the equation, you saw how ORDINARY our O looked.

Can he be a pain in the ***? Yes. Can he be a knucklehead? Yes. But sometimes, you're going to have to weigh the good with the bad, and if the benefits > costs, then you have a winner. It's alot like with Flo and his boneheaded false starts. You still can't deny how he's been a big bodyguard for our QBs during his tenure here.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
yes I did believe he would be. Not because I wanted him to, or hoped he would (Though I'll admit after the time he's been here I'm certainly glad he has come here and been this good and changed in so many ways) but because at the time I absolutely hated him for that and I've had a really bad history with having players that I hate getting to eventually be part of the Cowboys even though I never wanted them to be.

So, yeah, I knew that day he would one day be a Cowboy. In fact I remember telling a friend, while ranting about how mad I was about that, that one day he'd wind up playing for the Cowboys just because I hate him so much.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Yeah I did, I knew he would become a Cowboy right after he was released by the Eagles.

He was considering the Cowboys or Broncos if I remember correctly. Just think how lethal Cutler would be with Brandon Marshall and TO. Good Gawd.....

Reaction score
This thread made me think of a funny story. Back many years ago, I had a buddy I worked with who loved T.O. He was always telling me about how the only reason I didn't love T.O. was because he wasn't on my team, and how he was such a hard worker and got a bad rap and all this stuff. I told him he was full of crap and that I hated T.O. and that I would never like him, and I would never in a million years want him on my team.

Of course, as soon as I heard he wanted to come play for us and the Eagles were going to release him I changed my tune, and I've now taken the time to recognize that my friend was right all along, that T.O. really does just get a bad rap most of the time for things he doesn't even deserve, and that I love having him on my team. :laugh2:

gambit187

Reaction score
TRUE STORY

My brother called me when he did that and said he was telling the world he wanted to be a star.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
OH HEEEEELLLLL NOOO!!!! I still don't want him here. I think we would do fine without him. I have hated him since then and probaly will until the day I die. I'm sorry I hate the bas*ard. I still waiting for him to say something or do something stupid. This is the only topic I agree with Skip with. Don't get me wrong I hate skip's guts. But I think I may hate T.O. more. I wish he would just leave.

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
CATCH17;2288075 said:

When I saw him in that jersey I knew right then he was gonna be a Cowboy

NahLaterz

Reaction score
I became a member of the George Teague fan club that day. I hated T.O.

I was angry when Jerry signed him.

However, he's been on his best behavior, has stopped dropping balls (for the most part) and hopefully will lead us to the Super Bowl.

Primetime42

Reaction score
tomson75;2288070 said:
According to some of these people, TO still isn't a 'real Cowboy'.

http://i85.***BLOCKED***/albums/k68/thompson75/fullgetty-71644821rm009_dallas_cowb.jpg

I wonder how many of them have changed their mind....
LOL@ Lett being on that banner.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2288051 said:

Never thought Jerry would sign a jerk like him & I have YET to forgive him for the Star incident. If he helps us win a 6th title, I'll think about it.

killdaskins

Reaction score
CATCH17;2288075 said:

I'm with you catch once the trouble started with Philly I started telling everyone I knew he would be a Cowboy. To answer your question no when he ran to the Star I was so upset and then happy he got nailed and even more excited when RW took him out in that Philly game. I would have never guess a few years later he be weaing the star .

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It seemed like I started likeing him even when he was in Philly.

I hated him in San Fran and his 1st season in Philly.

Its like my Jedi Cowboy Senses knew he was going to be a Cowboy.

I'd watch NFL Films and would just crack up at him when he got put on the mic.

Plus TO started hating McNabb. Guess what? CATCH17 hates McNabb too.

I loved everything he was saying about McNabb.

---

As much as I wanted TO and Tank I was opposite when it came to Pacman.

You'd never know I was against Pacman by watching me because I cheer my butt off for him but I still believe it was a bad move for a # of reasons.

I hope it works though and he keeps progressing.

to_irvin_jersey.jpg

monkey

Reaction score
Heck no, I never thought TO would be in a Dallas uniform after that. When I first heard about the pickup, I thought Jerry was just selling out. It took awhile probably a whole year to accept. The drama can be over the top, but I amazed at how much flack he gets while not doing stupid things off the field.