Did you know?

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Reality said:
Actually, I disagree with this .. gravity is a constant force pulling matter toward it's central point.

Einstein's theory, although originally applied to particles, states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. Well, in your example, the outside force is gravity.

To remove the force (gravity) from the test, you'd have to have a zero-gravity environment. In a zero-gravity environment, the larger marble does not "weigh" more than the smaller marble. It has more mass of course, but without gravity, there is no weight. Therefore, without gravity, the paper would remain flat and the marbles would remain motionless.

Einstein's general theory of relativity, says that gravity is a result of the displacement caused by the mass of objects in space. It's kinda like this....another oversimplification.

When the titanic was leaving the harbor for it's maiden and subsequent last voyage. It displaced so much water that one of the ships that was tied up, broke it's moarings and started to drift towards it. Almost colliding with the titanic before she even made it out of the harbor.

Sir Isaac Newton's "Law" of gravity, says that if the sun were to instantly cease to exist, then the Earth and all the planets would instantaneously begin to float away out of their orbits. But Einstein, knowing that NOTHING travels faster than the speed of light, (the cosmic speed limit) discovered that it would take the same amout of time (roughly 8 minutes) for gravity to lose it's affect, as for the lights to go out.

Anyway, I'm at work right now so I can't really get into it. But I'd be happy to chat later. I've got some cool links and I know of a physics forum that has some real genius' on it.

Ever hear of "String Theory?"

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Reality said:
You don't have to know what gravity is, only that in this case, it is indeed an outside force.

For example, the two marbles and paper example, what if the paper was placed upside down? There would be no dent and the marbles would fall straight down at a fixed rate.

The problem with the whole thing is that paper is (in this model) a 2 dimensional body, whereas the universe that the model is representing is at least 4 dimensions (7+ if you're a string theorist). But it is still an effective model to understanding an effect.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Reality said:
You don't have to know what gravity is, only that in this case, it is indeed an outside force.

For example, the two marbles and paper example, what if the paper was placed upside down? There would be no dent and the marbles would fall straight down at a fixed rate.

In space, the piece of paper can not be turned upside down. Since the space/time continuem is 4 demensional. That example was just an oversimplification in an effort to make it visually paletable to the uninitiated.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
Einstein's general theory of relativity, says that gravity is a result of the displacement caused by the mass of objects in space. It's kinda like this....another oversimplification.

When the titanic was leaving the harbor for it's maiden and subsequent last voyage. It displaced so much water that one of the ships that was tied up, broke it's moarings and started to drift towards it. Almost colliding with the titanic before she even made it out of the harbor.

Sir Isaac Newton's "Law" of gravity, says that if the sun were to instantly cease to exist, then the Earth and all the planets would instantaneously begin to float away out of their orbits. But Einstein, knowing that NOTHING travels faster than the speed of light, (the cosmic speed limit) discovered that it would take the same amout of time (roughly 8 minutes) for gravity to lose it's affect, as for the lights to go out.

Anyway, I'm at work right now so I can't really get into it. But I'd be happy to chat later. I've got some cool links and I know of a physics forum that has some real genius' on it.

Einstein has been proven wrong re: C. Hawking Radiation travels faster than C.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
The problem with the whole thing is that paper is (in this model) a 2 dimensional body, whereas the universe that the model is representing is at least 4 dimensions (7+ if you're a string theorist). But it is still an effective model to understanding an effect.

Paper is not two dimensional .. it has width, height and depth :)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Reality said:
Paper is not two dimensional .. it has width, height and depth :)

That's why I said in this experiment, for all practical purposes. The paper is being used as a 2 dimensional plane (sans depth). I know that paper itself is 4 dimensional (don't exclude time), but the plane is the important part.

Gravity, on the other hand, effects all the dimensions in question (save some theoretical dimensions put forth by string theorists). Therefore, the 'turning upside down' thing wouldn't apply universally.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:

Sounds cool. What are the links? I wouldn't mind reading some opinions about physics and space.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
I know that paper itself is 4 dimensional (don't exclude time)

Unless the paper is moving, time is irrelevant with respect to the paper itself.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Reality said:
Unless the paper is moving, time is irrelevant with respect to the paper itself.
Time is never irrellevant. You can't properly describe space or time excluding one or another (thus the term 'spacetime')

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
You know, I go to an engineering school and I come to this board to escape my studies. Can we please change the topic to hot women or something of the sort? :p:

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Here's something that I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who is interested in physics and quantum mechanics etc..should watch. Some of you may have seen it. It tries to explain and illustrate things in a way that is fairly easy to understand.

It lasts 3 hours BUT, it is in three 1 hour shows, that are divided into 8 seperate chapters. So it's easy to remember where you left off and you can watch it all in due time. I recommend that you add it to your favorites/bookmarks. I've watched the whole thing twice, and I plan to watch it again.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Also, here's a cool physics forum. It also offers help with your math and physics homework. So if you're a student, or know someone who is. this place is invaluable.

http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php?

Hope this helps. :D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
NYCowboy22 said:
You know, I go to an engineering school and I come to this board to escape my studies. Can we please change the topic to hot women or something of the sort? :p:

Hi ya handsome...

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/keepers_01/princess.jpg

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
This thread has officially sunk to the geek zone. Star Wars, anyone? How about a game of D & D? J/k, Only at the Cowboy zone can a thread about useless facts spiral into a discussion about the "Theory of Relativity" and “String Theory”. God, I love this place. :)

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
This thread has officially sunk to the geek zone. Star Wars, anyone? How about a game of D & D? J/k, Only at the Cowboy zone can a thread about useless facts spiral into a discussion about the "Theory of Relativity" and “String Theory”. God, I love this place. :)

Not a Star Wars fan. Never watched Star Trek nor played D&D. I am however, a HUGE fan of "Galaxy Quest." VERY underated movie!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
Not a Star Wars fan. Never watched Star Trek nor played D&D. I am however, a HUGE fan of "Galaxy Quest." VERY underated movie!

That movie was pretty good, but I don't know about underrated. I give it a B-. That being said, thanks for the links to The Elegant Universe.

The book is great!