Did you like grunge rock?

Hardline

Reaction score
ALICE IN CHAINS IS NOT GRUNGE. JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE FROM SEATTLE DOESN'T MAKE THEM A GRUNGE BAND. .

That being said Alice in Chains was pure greatness. I cant stand most grunge .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are bands that get thrown into the Grunge genre that I do not think belong there because Grunge was as much about the attitude of the lyrics as the lack of formulaic construction like "where's my guitar solo"?

Bands like AIC, NIN and Pumpkins get tossed in there because of locale or timing of their emergence the same was some put the Allman Brothers as a Southern Rock band, if not the founding fathers of it, they were not Southern Rock, they were pure White Boy Blues of the finest order.

When I think of Grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and STP with some supporting acts like Janes Addiction and Mudhoney getting tossed in there come to mind but AIC continually gets thrown in there and why not toss System of a Down in there as well? Can't people tell the difference in the sounds of AIC, NIN and Pumpkins from what is considered Grunge?

To me, those 3 bands carved something different out of the Rock landscape and called it their own defying label and that's as dumb as some insisting on calling Led Zepp a heavy metal band. NO, they are not for the final time!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
ALICE IN CHAINS IS NOT GRUNGE. JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE FROM SEATTLE DOESN'T MAKE THEM A GRUNGE BAND. .

That being said Alice in Chains was pure greatness. I cant stand most grunge .
AIC certainly is grunge. You're the only person I've ever heard say otherwise. They have the sound, the look, and the angst. What is it you think isn't grunge?

Hardline

Reaction score
AIC certainly is grunge. You're the only person I've ever heard say otherwise. They have the sound, the look, and the angst. What is it you think isn't grunge?
Only people that dont know what grunge is call AIC a grunge band. They dont even sound like grunge. They are a hard rock/metal band that just happens to be from Seattle. There are people posting in this thread that are saying the same thing I am.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are bands that get thrown into the Grunge genre that I do not think belong there because Grunge was as much about the attitude of the lyrics as the lack of formulaic construction like "where's my guitar solo"?

Bands like AIC, NIN and Pumpkins get tossed in there because of locale or timing of their emergence the same was some put the Allman Brothers as a Southern Rock band, if not the founding fathers of it, they were not Southern Rock, they were pure White Boy Blues of the finest order.

When I think of Grunge, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and STP with some supporting acts like Janes Addiction and Mudhoney getting tossed in there come to mind but AIC continually gets thrown in there and why not toss System of a Down in there as well? Can't people tell the difference in the sounds of AIC, NIN and Pumpkins from what is considered Grunge?

To me, those 3 bands carved something different out of the Rock landscape and called it their own defying label and that's as dumb as some insisting on calling Led Zepp a heavy metal band. NO, they are not for the final time!!
I have to disagree about AIC.
Only people that dont know what grunge is call AIC a grunge band. They dont even sound like grunge. They are a hard rock/metal band that just happens to be from Seattle. There are people posting in this thread that are saying the same thing I am.
So what does grunge sound like?

triplets_93

Reaction score
I have to disagree about AIC.

So what does grunge sound like?

Changing these threads to be endless arguments about what genre a song or a band falls in is not helpful. Everyone's got an opinion, so just let it go.

If I wanted to post Fleetwood Mac's "Oh,Well" as an example of a Hard Rock song, that doesn't mean I'm classifying them as a "Hard Rock" band...

Even the Grammy's decided to award Jethro Tull with the "Best Metal Performance" one year. But nit-pickers would like to argue that Jethro Tull is a "Progressive Rock Band" and not Metal.

Let's not soil the joy of music with arguments, unless of course, the thread topic is created as an argument to begin with.

For example, you could start a thread titled "Who's Better in Van Halen - DLR or Sammy Hagar?"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Changing these threads to be endless arguments about what genre a song or a band falls in is not helpful. Everyone's got an opinion, so just let it go.

If I wanted to post Fleetwood Mac's "Oh,Well" as an example of a Hard Rock song, that doesn't mean I'm classifying them as a "Hard Rock" band...

Even the Grammy's decided to award Jethro Tull with the "Best Metal Performance" one year. But nit-pickers would like to argue that Jethro Tull is a "Progressive Rock Band" and not Metal.

Let's not soil the joy of music with arguments, unless of course, the thread topic is created as an argument to begin with.

For example, you could start a thread titled "Who's Better in Van Halen - DLR or Sammy Hagar?"
"Nitpickers"? Jethro Tull won Best Heavy Metal Album over Metallica. That's absolutely ridiculous, and I like Jethro Tull more than I like Metallica!

But you're right about arguing over this, especially since grunge, like many categories, isn't a clearly defined genre.