Difference in Quinn and Zimmer's Defense

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Quinn got more turnovers, for sure.
Quinn got more turnovers cause the Cowboys were ahead and all they had to do was rush the QB.....which is all this defense is good at....GB, SF and other good teams proved it. It's easy to play defense with the lead....hard to play it when you are getting your butt handed to you

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of those DEs crashing inside I would imagine is what they are supposed to be doing. NO did it a lot last week and Baltimore did this week too of crashing their two most outside guys on the OL inside. Only the guys in the locker room know for sure but typically on a double down block you have that DE crash down like that. What I'm actually seeing as the bigger issue is the LBs getting sucked inside.

On that last run from Lamar it actually looks like Parsons in lined up on the inside shoulder of the T. Bizzare to ever have him line up there. Parsons got blown up on that play more than he fell for a fake, but honestly its just a bad decision to have a 245lbs Parsons ever be that inside unless hes playing LB. Luifua and Kendricks both over pursue the fake. Overshown actually made a nice read but anytime anyone even gets a hand on him hes blocked out of the play.

I could be looking at the tape wrong, but I get the sense we have a much larger LB issue than DE issue right now. Teams seem to be scheming our ends out of plays and forcing our DTs or LBs to step up and neither group is.
A very good take on what is going on

khiladi

Reaction score
So in your assertation the only reason we lost these games was because Dak's inabilty to score a td every time we had the ball and nothing to do with the defense getting the **** beat out of it. Tell me you don't know **** without telling me you don't know ****.
Dak has been here since 2016 and the 49ers scored 22 and 19 in the playoffs, and part of the reason is because Dak threw INTs in their own territory. So let’s stop pretending like Dak has been elite and not being carried for years…

quickccc

Reaction score
Would the squad been on board if Jones would have hired Quinn in offseason & moved McCarthy to some front office position ?

- Fowler and Armstrong were productive pass rushers, and Sam Williams was healthy.

- Who do we currently have as productive edge rushers that were better than than the previous two ? Breeland ?.. Gholston ?

- Upon trade arrival, Jon Hankins was a productive run stopper.. front office considered him too expensive at 3 million per year. and
now we are still stuck... Zimmer is stuck ... with worthless scrubs and bums in the interior middle-
a great reason why we rank last vs run in NFL.

- Quinn's defense had Deron Blan,d the NFL record breaker in pick six INTs, ..we have an inexperienced rookie in his place -
and he's been up & down.

quickccc

Reaction score
Turnovers came from QB pressure and you can't have that if you can't stop the run.
Turnovers also come from ball hawks .. and we do have that in Diggs, Lewis and Donovan, .. despite the absence of the injured Bland.
We're not gonna get INTs from Carson and Hooker - and i don't see Zimmer trying to get Juanyeh Thomas on the field.

But it's that much harder to get INTs, when the opposing team is flat running the gut outta our defense - why pass as much when its'
been so much easier running the ball easily down our throat ..!

LysleE

Reaction score
So long as Jerry and Stephen are calling the shots the Cowboys will continue to be a dysfunctional organization.
The only thing that surprises me is the degree of arrogance they possess in thinking that a billionaire oil wildcatter and a chemical engineer can run a football team without any type of previous football experience.
I think the fact that the ONLY post-season success the Jones’ braintrust enjoyed was when JJ and BP, legitimate football guys, were running the show, which is in stark contrast to what these “football guys” have achieved.
So…short of a change in ownership or management us fans can expect the mediocrity to continue…it’s scary to think that the Jones’ boys continue to think all is well and that they are fielding a consistently competitive team lead by a $60MM QB who couldn’t deliver in big games when you were paying him $40 MM and lead by re-tread coaches.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I feel Quinn defense creates more havoc, sacks, turnovers & overall quicker play than Zimmer's Defense & the players seem to enjoy it more
Quinn created more turnovers, he blitzed more.

With Zimmer's version Micah and Dlaw have to stay home and set the edge, they are just crashing inside and getting burned...Wilson should be run blitzing.

Mazi has to put on 20 lbs of fat this week and anchor the double team.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I feel Quinn defense creates more havoc, sacks, turnovers & overall quicker play than Zimmer's Defense & the players seem to enjoy it more
The Difference i see in this year and last year is DLINE is single gap up field to the QB and stop the run on the way. Zimm uses a slant / 2Gap DLINE defense requiring the LBs to play off the GAP the DLINE is occupying. the LBs have to be smart and reading and reacting. Last year the LBs new which gap the DLINE was occupying and they knew where they were going, alot less thinking. They also used alot of disguise of where things were going to come from. i see Zimm doing alot of base 4-2-5 but not disguising who's doing what, I've seen some of it but not as much as last year.

Jarntt

Reaction score
and in theory, from a scheme perspective Zimmer's defense is stouter, stops the run better and gives up fewer big plays. Unfortunately, we either don't have the players for it or the players don't seem capable of executing it as it's designed

Mikexike

Reaction score
and in theory, from a scheme perspective Zimmer's defense is stouter, stops the run better and gives up fewer big plays. Unfortunately, we either don't have the players for it or the players don't seem capable of executing it as it's designed
We don't have the personnel, Dlaw already said they play like little league players.

pansophy

Reaction score
Turnovers also come from ball hawks .. and we do have that in Diggs, Lewis and Donovan, .. despite the absence of the injured Bland.
We're not gonna get INTs from Carson and Hooker - and i don't see Zimmer trying to get Juanyeh Thomas on the field.

But it's that much harder to get INTs, when the opposing team is flat running the gut outta our defense - why pass as much when its'
been so much easier running the ball easily down our throat ..!
There haven't been that many passes to even worry about INTs. When CBs are right next to the WR catching the ball and the CB doesn't even look for the ball then I'll say that Zimmer has infected the CBs. That's what he used to coach and it was TERRIBLE because guys looked covered until you realized the CBs were never going to make a play on the ball.