Diggs and this Defense

Ken

Reaction score
For YEARS i have looked at Everson Wall's 11 int season and marveled at how he accomplished that and how I would never see that type of play from a Cowboys defender ever again.

This really underscores just how amazing Diggs has been this year. 11 Picks people!!!! 11!

Insanity. Never thought I would see it and he is right up there for DPOY imo.

Which brings me to the 2nd thing I have yearned for for years and didn't think it would ever happen...turnovers! This defense is #1 in the league in turnovers and it is absolutely beautiful!

Just enjoying this season as much as I can...this team CAN win it all...we have to enjoy this ride!

plymkr

Reaction score
What's really impressive about Diggs accomplishment is when Walls set the record the rules weren't so biased towards the offense. This day and age you can't look at the receiver wrong without getting a PI called. To tie the record in this NFL is incredible. To em it's a race between Diggs and Parsons for DPOY

Aulac

Reaction score
For YEARS i have looked at Everson Wall's 11 int season and marveled at how he accomplished that and how I would never see that type of play from a Cowboys defender ever again.

This really underscores just how amazing Diggs has been this year. 11 Picks people!!!! 11!

Insanity. Never thought I would see it and he is right up there for DPOY imo.

Which brings me to the 2nd thing I have yearned for for years and didn't think it would ever happen...turnovers! This defense is #1 in the league in turnovers and it is absolutely beautiful!

Just enjoying this season as much as I can...this team CAN win it all...we have to enjoy this ride!

I was happy with Diggs during his streak but not anymore. I want a shutdown corner not another ballhawk corner. No one get beat more than Diggs. Marcus Peters is a ballhawk and constantly get burn. Give me a shut down corner like Revis, Ramsey, Sherman, Sander, Woodson, and etc...

Ken

Reaction score
I was happy with Diggs during his streak but not anymore. I want a shutdown corner not another ballhawk corner. No one get beat more than Diggs. Marcus Peters is a ballhawk and constantly get burn. Give me a shut down corner like Revis, Ramsey, Sherman, Sander, Woodson, and etc...

He has been shutting down people for the last 4 or 5 weeks. He has definitely stepped it up in that department.

Also have to remember the rules tiled against the defenders and the fact that he lines up with the other team's best.

Aulac

Reaction score
He has been shutting down people for the last 4 or 5 weeks. He has definitely stepped it up in that department.

Also have to remember the rules tiled against the defenders and the fact that he lines up with the other team's best.

Doesn't matter, he get expose more often then not. In fact it pretty selfish to constantly just want to intercept the ball at the cost of giving up yardages or touchdown. He the #1CB in terms of giving up the most yardage. Hopefully we don't extend him after his rookie contract is over. Parsons on the other hand is absolutely productive.

Swagger

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, he get expose more often then not. In fact it pretty selfish to constantly just want to intercept the ball at the cost of giving up yardages or touchdown. He the #1CB in terms of giving up the most yardage. Hopefully we don't extend him after his rookie contract is over. Parsons on the other hand is absolutely productive.
I'm generally in your camp. It's about finding that balance hopefully Diggs will get there eventually

FanSince71

Reaction score
Man, I realize that he’s not on the Revis/Woodson/Sanders level, but we had Byron Jones who covered his man like glue and didn’t really give up many yards. He was hated around here.

Trevon Diggs is a playmaker. Turnovers change games. Pass break up cause drives to stall. I’ll take the playmaker any day.

Think of it this way… if the Cowboys defense are #32 in yards, but are #1 in scoring defense, which would you rather have? It doesn’t bother me that Diggs gives up yards because he is a difference maker. Of course, you’d like him to be both but give it time. The guy is in his second season!

Swagger

Reaction score
Man, I realize that he’s not on the Revis/Woodson/Sanders level, but we had Byron Jones who covered his man like glue and didn’t really give up many yards. He was hated around here.

Trevon Diggs is a playmaker. Turnovers change games. Pass break up cause drives to stall. I’ll take the playmaker any day.

Think of it this way… if the Cowboys defense are #32 in yards, but are #1 in scoring defense, which would you rather have? It doesn’t bother me that Diggs gives up yards because he is a difference maker. Of course, you’d like him to be both but give it time. The guy is in his second season!
I'm torn between the two arguments. Tbh for me it's about why he does it. If it's about his own numbers and a look at me type mentality then I'm not down with that. If he's doing it for the team and he wants to play a key part in helping the defense to be ranked top 5 then yes it's more understandable.

Aulac

Reaction score

In general shutdown corners are always better than ballhawk corners, for the reason they are consistent. It not like shutdown corners don't get picks either, they just don't purposely look for one.

FanSince71

Reaction score
I'm torn between the two arguments. Tbh for me it's about why he does it. If it's about his own numbers and a look at me type mentality then I'm not down with that. If he's doing it for the team and he wants to play a key part in helping the defense to be ranked top 5 then yes it's more understandable.

I understand your point. I have nothing to base this opinion on, but I think the defensive coaching staff wants him to ballhawk. Remember that his position coach is Al Harris, who was a play making corner himself.

All I know is that for many years I have agonized over our secondary not making plays on the ball. Now they are and I’m not going to get bent over yards. All I’m saying!

FanSince71

Reaction score
In general shutdown corners are always better than ballhawk corners, for the reason they are consistent. It not like shutdown corners don't get picks either, they just don't purposely look for one.

I’m not arguing or trying to sway your opinion. Just joining the conversation with a different point of view.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
How many of the guys you named were shutdown corners after 19 games?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score

If you can engineer the trade that nets us Prime Rod Woodson for Diggs, I’m game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Cool story. He's given up 5 TD to 11 picks. This is not hard to figure.

Frozen700

Reaction score

Yeah ok.

You sound dumb

RonWashington

Reaction score

Byron Jones your talking , he became too expensive. ….I’m anxious to see what Kelvin Joseph a round 2 pick brings to the table. With Jourdan Lewis & Joseph heading into the playoffs we can flood the field with DB’s in obvious passing downs in the playoffs and pull the likes of 55 off the field.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I will take Diggs making quarterbacks detour their passes over a good portion of the game but him leading the league in interceptions over any other cornerback. Over time he will become more refined and more of a miser and not give up as many yards patrolling his territory.

Against the Skins he was also batting away passes. Criticizing this spectacular cornerback for not being a "shutdown" corner at this juncture of his career is assinine. I don't think Quinn is complaining about Diggs not being a consummate shutdown corner.

JBS

Reaction score

the guy has been playing the cornerback position literally for like 4 years of his entire life. You expect him to not only be a finished product, you expect him to give up zero receptions to the best receivers in the world. Hahahaahahaha. And you have the nerve to suggest his development is over and he shouldn’t return. Maybe your mental development finished in 2nd grade

Swagger

Reaction score
Byron Jones your talking , he became too expensive. ….I’m anxious to see what Kelvin Joseph a round 2 pick brings to the table. With Jourdan Lewis & Joseph heading into the playoffs we can flood the field with DB’s in obvious passing downs in the playoffs and pull the likes of 55 off the field.
Ideally we could have a ball hawk and shut down corner. I agree, early days but Joseph looked very promising