Diggs is a shutdown corner

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
how many teams even have that kind of " shut down " CBs to even try to do that ?
and that one long pass you're pertaining seems more like Kazee's failure to make the inside play while Diggs' task to handle the over the top task.

i wanna see stats that indicate Diggs has improve and given up LESS big plays and yellow penalty flags in the 2nd half - because it sure feels like
Agree with most everything you said...Shut down CBs are rare in todays game, and I would take Diggs over most CBs in the league. That said however he isnt a shut down CB, that just isnt his biggest attribute, at least yet.

The pass given up was probably more on Kazee, however if you are labeling someone "shut down" it shouldnt matter. Diggs has gotten considerably better as a cover man the last several weeks. Hope that trend continues and he will truly be in the "elite" category.

I'm a fan of the guy, I just dont see him as "shut down" just yet. By doing so is a very loose use of the term. Hes more of a gambler. Nothing wrong with that, just different styles of play. He keeps getting better (Only in year 2) and he may very well end up as that shut down guy who can still get 5-10 INTs a year and end up in the hall of fame.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Diggs did shadow WR McLaurin yesterday...
Havent watched the game back yet. I know he was on McLaurin more often than not, but also noticed he was on some other guys too. This may have just been snaps McLaurin wasn't in the game on though. Do you know if he was covering Terry from the slot too...if Terry did take many snaps there?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not exactly. You call that safety help? He had ZERO impact on that play. Showed up late, didn't look for the ball and was out of position.
Agreed....but if we are calling a DB "shut down" that play isn't supposed to be made. Not knocking Diggs for the play, but if we are calling him shut down, we are grading him as shut down as well.

To me Diggs is a decent cover guy with extremely strong ball skills. He may still get to shut down level, I just dont see it that way yet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really could care less about the yards! I have been looking to see how many touchdowns he has given up, unfortunately I can't find that stat. How many has he given up vs how many has he returned for touchdowns (2 I think) plus the other turnovers. I'll take him any day

I agree, I think the big plays he has made over the season outweighs the yards. I would also add he is only in his 2nd season and still developing and gaining experience.

kskboys

Reaction score
What he did to

scary terry(twice)
Mike Evans
Jefferson

Is stellar

I honestly don’t even understand the Mathematics behind PFF rankings

the eye test is clear: Diggs is the man
He's not.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Diggs is an All Pro CB. He is the best CB the Cowboys have had since Deion (I think).

That said, he isn't a "shut down" corner. Team throw at him early and often. True shut-down corners might see 2-3 passes thrown their way in a game -- think Deion, Revis, etc

I could care less that he isn't a "shut-down" corner.

kskboys

Reaction score
Diggs is an All Pro CB. He is the best CB the Cowboys have had since Deion (I think).

That said, he isn't a "shut down" corner. Team throw at him early and often. True shut-down corners might see 2-3 passes thrown their way in a game -- think Deion, Revis, etc

I could care less that he isn't a "shut-down" corner.
Well said.

A CB does not have to be a shutdown corner to be good. "Shut down corner" is one of those overused terms that fans are just dying to use on their own players.

The last shutdown corner was Reavis. At present, there are no shutdown corners in the NFL. There are rarely more than 1 or 2 at any given time.

I wish people would understand a term before using it!!!!!!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What he did to

scary terry(twice)
Mike Evans
Jefferson

Is stellar

I honestly don’t even understand the Mathematics behind PFF rankings

the eye test is clear: Diggs is the man

he’s a ball hawk.

he needs to keep working though. Get better.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Diggs is significantly better than people give him credit for. He has 1 major defect and it’s the reason why people misevaluate his game. He cannot tackle. He gives up a ton of yards after the catch. People don’t burn Diggs - yes he gets beat deep on occasion- he’s never and I mean never absolutely roasted where the WR is walking into the end zone.

But he gives up a lot of short passes that go for long long gains and that makes his number look for worse than they should be. But he isn’t getting burned. He just isn’t willing to tackle. Big difference.

people say dumb crap like, he takes gambles and blah blah. Shut up. If that were true , receivers would be running free, that never happens.

he’s the worst tackling CB in the nfl. If that’s the stamp you want to put on him. At least get it right. He’s damn good in covers and has ELITE ball skills. Second to none. Coverage is good and improving. Tackling is awful and not improving.

those are the facts

Well stated. It's a head-scratcher because he has shown before that he can wrap up and make physical tackles. But often times, he tackles like he's protecting himself from injury. He cleans this aspect of his game up along with his improving coverage skills, the sky is the limit.

JBS

Reaction score
Well stated. It's a head-scratcher because he has shown before that he can wrap up and make physical tackles. But often times, he tackles like he's protecting himself from injury. He cleans this aspect of his game up along with his improving coverage skills, the sky is the limit.

I agree w all of this , but I don’t see it happening. And to be honest, while of course it would be great if he improved his tackling, it’s not really a deal breaker. He’s just not a physical player. In any aspect of his game. His coverage is getting better and better and as long as that keeps improving, he’s always going to have his ball skills, he will be more than fine. I think he is significantly better as is than most people give him credit for.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
At this moment, I'm not concerned with Diggs being defined as a "shut down" corner. Its a little early even for debate, although I do admit he is trending in that direction after giving us some big plays earlier, . Personally, I'm just glad he is right now a "playmaking" corner, and we haven't had that in a while. He can make game changing/winning pIays, so Ill accept the risks of being aggressive. I was really tired of Byron Jones getting so much praise, making 1 int every 2 seasons (and that would be a tip drill). As good as he was, he didn't make many plays that truly changed the game.