Direction in the Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Mar 14, 2019.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

14,068 Messages
    7,380 Likes Received
    Woods doesnt play the FS role. Heath was usually the single high Woods was the down safety. Which would lead you to believe Heath was the FS. They tried Heath at SS in 2017 and it was a disaster.

Now they did play Heath in the box at times but it was usually in short yardage and goaline.

snapper likes this.
  2. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

13,246 Messages
    12,692 Likes Received
    Either way, pass rushers or interior DT is more important than SS.

3. baltcowboy

baltcowboy Well-Known Member

1,099 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    What about defensive end? Broaddus was talking about some defensive end/tackle hybrid that Marinelli was all over at the combine.

snapper and PJTHEDOORS like this.
  4. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

13,246 Messages
    12,692 Likes Received
    Yup.

5. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

6,104 Messages
    9,338 Likes Received
    Good post! While I agree about safety, especially Thornhill and Gardner-Johnson but what if they're gone? Couple wildcards I might add...
    *** It would not surprise me to see 58 on CB ( potential Byron Jones replacement) or OT ( potential Collins replacement) especially if they have high 2nd or low 1st round grade.

*** Also I'm keeping an eye any solid 1st round talent dropping coz health concerns. We all know JJ like nothing better than to convert the 2nd round pick into first-round talent.

**** Give the choice of any positional player available at 58, I don't see them passing on TE Irv Smith or Hockenson

snapper likes this.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

14,068 Messages
    7,380 Likes Received
    And Dallas has them. Maybe not the ones you want. But they have the ones they want.

snapper likes this.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

40,105 Messages
    37,263 Likes Received
    Woods was the Free Safety in 2018.

Heath was the SS (box Safety) in 2018.

Woods has not played SS for the Cowboys.

The way they used Heath in 2018 resulted in him running downfield on some plays such as the one where he ran down Saquon Barkley from behind.

They have some sets where the FS (Woods) is aligned about half-way between deep and in-the-box. The other Safety is either in 2-deep on these sets or they've otherwise accounted for the FS not having true single-high responsibilities.

Summary: Heath was the "box" Safety. That's why you saw him 1-on-1 against Saquon Barkley repeatedly including the attempts to tackle Barkley behind the Line.

Side Note: Heath injured his wrist and played with 1 hand for the last several games including the last game against the Giants.

Size/length does not appear to be a concern for Kris Richard at FS ( ET is 5-10). Woods is about the same size as ET.

Size/length at SS is likely a concern. They played Heath (6-1, 210) there despite him previously being better at FS. In Seattle SS Kam Chancellor wss 6-3, 230.

dogberry and snapper like this.
  8. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,837 Messages
    47,995 Likes Received
    Wait, Woods played more in the box than Heath?

9. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

440 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I think they would be happy to move on from Heath as a starter if they can grab one of the safeties expected to be there at 58. There are a few that would walk in as day-one starters.

10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

14,068 Messages
    7,380 Likes Received
    Wrong again. They even spoke about this during the draft show. And they started it with Dallas doesnt label their S' as FS and SS. Because they play them all over. But said Woods played more of the down safety roll which typically is the the spot the SS usually plays. They did say their switch them up depending on matchups but for the majority of the yr it was Woods as the Down safety.

snapper likes this.
  11. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

440 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    This.

Dallas Cowboys Radio discussed this in detail.

Heath is a liability as an all-around safety. The Cowboys feel better about allowing Woods to switch from strong to free than they do about Heath. I think they would love to have Heath as a Special Teams guy and backup safety if they can manage it.

12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

14,068 Messages
    7,380 Likes Received
    Woods can play either spot. But the way he hits and his aggresiveness he is just better closer to the LOS. He covers the flat as good as anybody in the league. The same on crossing routes usually forcing incomplete passes with his hits.

snapper likes this.
  13. CF74

CF74 Vet Min Plus

22,574 Messages
    10,099 Likes Received
    I’m good with safety, de, or dt with our second pick and I agree it’s looking like it might be safety.. Good info...

14. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

3,004 Messages
    3,088 Likes Received
    Yeah, I like Zach Allen who can be the new more athletic TyCraw playing either DE and 3Tech...#90 from Texas too.

baltcowboy likes this.
  15. Daygoboy6191

Daygoboy6191 Active Member

324 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Would not be surprised if they trade up in the 2nd to get their guy at S or DE but I think DE they will see as more of a need.

16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

23,784 Messages
    12,363 Likes Received
    I think Dexter Lawrence and Jeffrey Simmons slide a long way. I would certainly take Simmons at 58 and not look back.

17. Daygoboy6191

Daygoboy6191 Active Member

324 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    They aren't going to draft Simmons, this team is looking to win this year. Lawrence is a guy I think they would have interest in considering how they lost vs the Rams, but with these contract dropping in price by the day especially along the D-Line would be Danny Shelton. Malcom Brown started over Shelton in NE and signed today for 3 years 15 million. Why could the Cowboys get Shelton for less on a 1-2 year deal?

You figure Collins, Covington, Woods, and Shelton you have 2 deep and a healthy looking rotation at DT and 1 less hole to go into the draft.

18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

23,784 Messages
    12,363 Likes Received
    If that were true Garrett wouldnt be here.

19. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,505 Messages
    54,222 Likes Received
    I’d go WR or DL in the second and third and then look to add S and another DT after that.

20. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

991 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Would love Chauncey and I’m also digging Joe Jackson back to back. Throw in Willis lol man I like them all.