CFZ DirecTV trying to hang in there with a big move

erod

Reaction score
Long time DirecTV customer here who's almost quit them multiple time because of weather issues with dishes and their crappy alliance with AT&T, which is the worst company on the planet.

I stayed for three reasons:
  1. Picture quality was (and still is) better than other services, and I have a large projector screen.
  2. The NFL Ticket
  3. The wife knows the channels, and I didn't want to re-train her on using another app service instead.
I was ready to change and was working on the learning curve with the wife, and then lo and behold, they came out with the streaming app at no additional charge. No more bad weather signal issues, so I stayed put.

Then, DirecTV loses the NFL Ticket, so I'm again pondering YouTube TV (which I don't like). But again, lo and behold, they recently announce that RedZone will be included with the Sports Package, which I already have.

I ONLY watch the RedZone channel and begged for the option for years to only subscribe to that channel. I don't need all the individual games because I live in Cowboys country already. It was an annual song and dance to negotiate down from the $360 per year charge.

Never expected for that to happen AFTER they lost the service to Google.. Now I have RedZone for "free" because my monthly bill won't change Meanwhile, all the once cheaper internet TV options continue to creep up and up in price anyway.

Pretty smart (and necessary) for them to workout that deal for RedZone before they hemorrhaged down to nothing. Might not save them in the end, but I'm good for now.

Makes me wonder how Google (YouTube) feels about this late revelation right before they start their first year of rights to the NFL Ticket? There are a lot of people like me that really only want the RedZone, not all the other stuff on the Ticket option.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With AT&T Fiber Internet, which is great even though not a big AT&T fan anymore. If it storms and the Satellite goes out. It asks if you want to switch to streaming until the signal returns.
So you do not lose but maybe 10 seconds of what you are watching.

Maybe it does it with regular internet from them as well.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Is DirecTV stream picture quality really that much better than youtube TV or Hulu plus live TV?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I canned DirecTV once they got rid of the HU cards, although I still have one of their ugly dishes on the side of my house from the previous owners because it's too high (and sloped) for me to climb up and take it down.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is DirecTV stream picture quality really that much better than youtube TV or Hulu plus live TV?
There is a major difference in the box from DirecTV and what the streamers only use.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Long time DirecTV customer here who's almost quit them multiple time because of weather issues with dishes and their crappy alliance with AT&T, which is the worst company on the planet.

I stayed for three reasons:
  1. Picture quality was (and still is) better than other services, and I have a large projector screen.
  2. The NFL Ticket
  3. The wife knows the channels, and I didn't want to re-train her on using another app service instead.
I was ready to change and was working on the learning curve with the wife, and then lo and behold, they came out with the streaming app at no additional charge. No more bad weather signal issues, so I stayed put.

Then, DirecTV loses the NFL Ticket, so I'm again pondering YouTube TV (which I don't like). But again, lo and behold, they recently announce that RedZone will be included with the Sports Package, which I already have.

I ONLY watch the RedZone channel and begged for the option for years to only subscribe to that channel. I don't need all the individual games because I live in Cowboys country already. It was an annual song and dance to negotiate down from the $360 per year charge.

Never expected for that to happen AFTER they lost the service to Google.. Now I have RedZone for "free" because my monthly bill won't change Meanwhile, all the once cheaper internet TV options continue to creep up and up in price anyway.

Pretty smart (and necessary) for them to workout that deal for RedZone before they hemorrhaged down to nothing. Might not save them in the end, but I'm good for now.

Makes me wonder how Google (YouTube) feels about this late revelation right before they start their first year of rights to the NFL Ticket? There are a lot of people like me that really only want the RedZone, not all the other stuff on the Ticket option.
Like you I’m still using Direct TV for some of the same reasons . I’ve been using the streaming services since they hooked up with AT&T as they are my iPhone and IPad provider which I can watch Direct TV all on any device for free with no data use . And the weather has no impact on reception . Simply awesome.

And the other reason which is paramount in my Sports Cave I have multiple TV’s ( 5 to be exact) which all require a remote ( 3 remotes to a Genie) and Direct TV is best service to provide much like a sports bar. My other 2 TV’s are set up on rabbit ears which I can pick up all local channels . What I call Free TV.

What I did begin doing is downscaling my “ Sports Package” after football season so I only am paying for higher price package from Sept- Jan. Saves several hundred a year.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
The streams are similar, but the satellite signal is better and less soft looking as of right now. When and if 4K broadcasts ever truly fully arrive as the norm, that will change.

But I also need Bally's to watch the Rangers and Mavs games, so Youtube and others aren't options for me anyway.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got NFLST free like 6 of the last 8 years. I wonder if they will give me Red Zone for free this year.
They gave me MLB Extra Innings free this year.

I may still look into You Tube TV and ST from them. But if I get RZ for free, I will try it first.
I do like the option of seeing other games and not what is on the local channels when Dallas is not on.

Streaming may be ok, but rather watch on my TV than computer for those other games, plus he convenience of flipping through games, or having the multi game screen on.

I have a feeling YT TV may offer another special deal right before the season starts. Or shortly after.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
The streams are similar, but the satellite signal is better and less soft looking as of right now. When and if 4K broadcasts ever truly fully arrive as the norm, that will change.

But I also need Bally's to watch the Rangers and Mavs games, so Youtube and others aren't options for me anyway.
Only bad thing, I have 5 TVs in my house and by the time I add a receiver to each TV those extra fees add up quick.

erod

Reaction score
Only bad thing, I have 5 TVs in my house and by the time I add a receiver to each TV those extra fees add up quick.
Yep, but here's a solution for you on that.

I have 7, but I use the stream on a Roku stick for 5 of them to save on receivers. Wife only uses "her" TV unless she's in the theater room with me.

erod

Reaction score
Meh, Satellite TV is a dying industry.
Which is why DirecTV now streams like the others.

But for now, the best picture you can get is through that dish. You're not sharing that signal with anyone, as opposed to a stream with bandwidth being split a hundreds ways.

In fact, the reason you're not seeing much 4K broadcast television so far is because of that. It takes a TON of bandwidth, and they can't make the math work on a broad scale for live broadcasts.

I don't think 8K will get off the ground because of that, and because the human eye can't see the difference between 8K to 4K unless your nose is on the screen.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is why DirecTV now streams like the others.

But for now, the best picture you can get is through that dish. You're not sharing that signal with anyone, as opposed to a stream with bandwidth being split a hundreds ways.

In fact, the reason you're not seeing much 4K broadcast television so far is because of that. It takes a TON of bandwidth, and they can't make the math work on a broad scale for live broadcasts.

I don't think 8K will get off the ground because of that, and because the human eye can't see the difference between 8K to 4K unless your nose is on the screen.
Heck I can't tell the difference between 4K and HD. :laugh:

NeathBlue

Reaction score

Here in the U.K. the main satellite provider is Sky, and their picture quality of HD or 4K HDR, is as good, if not better than anywhere else… I’ve got the Sky Q system and the picture is amazing.
However, they’ve recently brought out a streaming option instead of their satellite dish, Sky Stream, and I’ve seen it on friends televisions and the picture is another level up.
Streaming 4K is definitely better than satellite, I can vouch for that with things like Netflix or Amazon Prime 4K broadcasts… you do though need a fast and reliable internet connection.
But streaming is definitely the future and satellite tv is on borrowed time.

erod

Reaction score
Heck I can't tell the difference between 4K and HD. :laugh:
You can when it's really good 4K, but much of it is actually just 2K. I'd rather have true 1080p than 2K.

In fact, I wish they forget this whole 4K broadcast endeavor and just give us 1080p, which is MUCH better than and 1080i and 720p. It's basically the same as a regular bluray, which is perfect for something as fast moving as sports.

erod

Reaction score
Here in the U.K. the main satellite provider is Sky, and their picture quality of HD or 4K HDR, is as good, if not better than anywhere else… I’ve got the Sky Q system and the picture is amazing.
However, they’ve recently brought out a streaming option instead of their satellite dish, Sky Stream, and I’ve seen it on friends televisions and the picture is another level up.
Streaming 4K is definitely better than satellite, I can vouch for that with things like Netflix or Amazon Prime 4K broadcasts… you do though need a fast and reliable internet connection.
But streaming is definitely the future and satellite tv is on borrowed time.
Maybe one day, but not now. The problem with 4K streaming (which is probably just 2K no matter what they say) is with motion.

Amazon gave us "4K" football last year, and when we saw the huddle or a ref calling a penalty, the picture was brilliant, but when the ball was snapped and the camera started panning, it often turned into a blurry mess.

1080p is the answer for broadcast sports.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Maybe one day, but not now. The problem with 4K streaming (which is probably just 2K no matter what they say) is with motion.

Amazon gave us "4K" football last year, and when we saw the huddle or a ref calling a penalty, the picture was brilliant, but when the ball was snapped and the camera started panning, it often turned into a blurry mess.

1080p is the answer for broadcast sports.
Maybe that’s an issue you have over there with the broadcaster, because over here the broadcasts by Sky for soccer and F1 in UHD HDR is way better than HD.
Even their upscaled UHD which they have NFL on, is visibly a lot better.