DLaw 1st among edge run stoppers

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is one player on the D that has no reason to hang his head. I am not a fan of his but I have watched him and he's never quit. I have seen him look at some of his teammates with some frustration on his face after a play but nothing beyond that.

If you want to bring the money up, as seems to be the case here, he is doing exactly what he is being paid to do, play his best and go all out. It's gets a little old to bring the money up when it's not the player's fault what they're getting paid. There is no indication whatsoever that Lawrence played for a contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lawrence has become Greg Ellis, minus the consistent whining. He's a very good all around end, but a good, not great pass rusher as a singular skill.
Greg Ellis whined about changing positions.....he was a good professional here. Lawrence is dominant against the run. Greg Ellis especially when he switched to linebacker was more of a pass rusher at that point.

khiladi

Reaction score
Leadership........working his axx off ( good for him )

Well, that’s because they are 32nd in the league in opponents run attempts. He’s going to stop more, when the opponent’s offense is running more.

Jaylon Smith lead the team on solo and combined tackles. That doesn’t make him anywhere near the best LB in the league.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
PFF has him as I think their #4 EDGE in pass rushing grade, and #3 in run defense. ESPN has him at #8 in the league for pass rush win rate, in addition to being top 3 in run stop rate.

So I don't want to hear "we don't pay him $20M to stuff the run!", because he's doing work as a pass rusher too. The fans who trash him for not getting sacks are the same fans who said Byron sucked because he didn't get picks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is one player on the D that has no reason to hang his head. I am not a fan of his but I have watched him and he's never quit. I have seen him look at some of his teammates with some frustration on his face after a play but nothing beyond that.

If you want to bring the money up, as seems to be the case here, he is doing exactly what he is being paid to do, play his best and go all out. It's gets a little old to bring the money up when it's not the player's fault what they're getting paid. There is no indication whatsoever that Lawrence played for a contract.
Ditto this. It's easy to say a low sack total is a result of coasting, but how many that say this bother to actually watch Lawrence closely? Do that and people will see the guy plays with full effort.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, that’s because they are 32nd in the league in opponents run attempts. He’s going to stop more, when the opponent’s offense is running more.

Jaylon Smith lead the team on solo and combined tackles. That doesn’t make him anywhere near the best LB in the league.
What? What type of logic is that your'e using there? And Jaylon leading the league in tackles ain't the same as 18 rush stops....

And how many of those teams have played 8 games compared to the Cowboys 9 games that are in front of them?

Last edited: