DLaw: Bet on myself

cern

Reaction score
I was succinct in expressing that Players in that era were team focused not self-focused. Just go back and look at interviews of those old
players by the media. They were more like the NE Patriot players of today who care less about self and are focused on winning SB's. Just ask
Brady why he plays football at his age... Clue...it's not about him and it's not about money.
I think human nature is human nature and not likely to change from one time to another. had free agency existed during the 60's an 70's, and the big money been available like it is today, those same players would have demanded to be paid the most. remember, back then players had to sign non-disclosure agreements to not reveal their salaries lest others use that as leverage. imo, the players today want to win just as much as prior generations, but the money's a lot more now.

Proof

Reaction score
He just got the second best contract for a defensive player in league history. You think that was based on a 10.5 sack season and the shoulder surgery he needs? Absolutely not. He got paid based on his 2017 numbers and the assumption that he can do it again.

We are paying him like a guy whom we expect 15+ sacks a year. He's only done it once. ......and that was 2017.

The contract was based on back to back stellar seasons. 2017 was clearly better, that doesn’t make 2018 mediocre, which is what I contested. You can look at all the quoted numbers and metrics over the past TWO years, in which he’s at the top of the league in multiple areas. The contract is rich, it is going to take sustained excellence for it to be worth it (which again isn’t the point). He bet on himself and delivered and was rewarded.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I was succinct in expressing that Players in that era were team focused not self-focused. Just go back and look at interviews of those old
players by the media. They were more like the NE Patriot players of today who care less about self and are focused on winning SB's. Just ask
Brady why he plays football at his age... Clue...it's not about him and it's not about money.

You were also succinct in saying the desire by a player to make more money, somehow is tied to their desire to win or care about the team. Which is just not true.

No player retires due to money.

Brady still plays because he is blessed enough to still be physically able to play at a high level. A lot of players play as long as they are physically able to do so at a high level.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I read this with a subtle lisp in my head.

You wear loose fit, highwater Levi’s up to your navel don’t you?

Yeah you got me. I can guarantee you if in person you would think differently. But go ahead be demeaning through the net. It works for you.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You are 100% correct. Remember when Dorsett turned down 10 million a year because he loved the game and just wanted to win? No, you don't because it didn't happen. Why? Because there was no FA and they weren't afforded the option.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Ehhh everyone hating on this me thing...

He got paid. He worked his butt off before every making a cent in the league. Enjoy today.

But be ready to show you were worth it this season and kick some butt

Reactions: CWR