DLaw looking for 6 years, $140 mil with $85 garuanteed

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Lovely way to word a tweet to make it sound like you have any idea what the discussion actually is. If you pay attention to the way it's worded, the only "fact" is that they are still negotiating. Everything else is inference.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
OK, but you are only focusing on Pass Rush situations. There is more to Mack's game then that. Now, I agree that this is why Mack got paid but, Mack can do more then just pass rush and there is a difference between 34 OLB and 43 DE. 34 OLBs do have to cover. A good OC can scheme a 34 OLB and force them into coverage. You can't do that with a DE.
Pass Rush situations are why edge defenders matter. Lawrence is as good as it gets against the run anyways.

You can't scheme a guy into coverage if the defense is in the nickel...and I don't really buy that anyways. In a base set, its the safety who would have coverage responsibilities before the OLB.

Swagger

Reaction score
Over the last two seasons: -

Miller has 24.5 sacks and 31 tackles-for-loss.

Mack has 23 sacks and 24 tackles-for-loss

Lawrence has 25 sacks and 30 tackles for loss.

garyv

Reaction score
Then produce more than 5 sacks the last 14 games.

You are correct. Hes a good Pass Rusher and best on Cowboys but not elite player like Donald and Mack. He doesnt
change the scope of the game. In fact I will go one step further David Irving caused a lot of havic in the middle much
much more than Lawrence ever could from the outside.

BigD49

Reaction score
Well then they are stupid, because this defense gets worse at every level without him.
That's true, but I also think it's fair to say that you compromise the future of this team if you give that contract to Tank...I was not on team trade at all, but if he thinks he's worth Mack-level money, hopefully they can find a trade partner that thinks he's worth Mack-level trade compensation too and let's move on

JustChip

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, they're probably tired of hearing "pay the man" by a bunch of mathematically challenged fans. Those fans should have no problem with the old Booger, who did exactly that

One thing the Cowboys seem to do is learn, most of the time, from their mistakes. Jerry over-paid in trades swinging for the fences, now they don't. I think the Dez contract and ensuing results has impacted them to the point that they don't want to make that potential mistake again.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
D0yP1ITXgAANMpP.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Pass Rush situations are why edge defenders matter. Lawrence is as good as it gets against the run anyways.

You can't scheme a guy into coverage if the defense is in the nickel...and I don't really buy that anyways. In a base set, its the safety who would have coverage responsibilities before the OLB.

You absolutely can, but what does it matter? We know that Base Defense is still played over 50% of the time. In those situations, LBs still have to play the traditional LB position. There is a difference between 34 LBs and 43 DEs. I suspect you are referencing Football Outsiders, or some such, they don't believe there is a difference either. I think their reasoning is flawed but whatever. If there is no difference, then DLaw should be able to lineup at LB and still play at a high level. That's never going to happen so that alone disproves that entire theory IMO.

Last edited:

BigD49

Reaction score

I agree that I think most people underrate Tank, but I find it very interesting (and maybe concerning?) that out of the totals you just quoted, only 8 sacks and 9 TFLs have come after Week 8 in each season...it's a bit challenging to unpack - is he hurt? Is he commanding more double teams after people realize in the first half of the season he's the real deal? I don't know, but it's strange that he puts up less than 33% of his production in the last 50% of the season

bigdnlaca

Reaction score

Overall picture shows that both Mack and Miller didn't disappear from November on like Lawrence have in the past two seasons.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Looks like Quinn is about to be A Cowboy. See ya D-Law. Hello first round pick again.

fishspill

Reaction score
I want him on the team but that price seems really steep for a player that isn’t 100% healthy. That’s the kind of contract I was thinking for Dak.
I’m afraid you’re going to be shocked when Dak’s number is around $30 million.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I agree that I think most people underrate Tank, but I find it very interesting (and maybe concerning?) that out of the totals you just quoted, only 8 sacks and 9 TFLs have come after Week 8 in each season...it's a bit challenging to unpack - is he hurt? Is he commanding more double teams after people realize in the first half of the season he's the real deal? I don't know, but it's strange that he puts up less than 33% of his production in the last 50% of the season
Just because Mack got paid for average numbers we should overpay DLaw??????

Give me ADonald production for 140m

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And therein lies the rub, that's past performance and only a piece of the puzzle. Lawrence can try and justify his value using those stats but when the team does, that's when they're in trouble.

Stats are only a piece of the puzzle, a bigger piece is when are those stats established? In crunch time and the playoffs? When it's all on the line, where is that specific player and what is their impact? With Miller, that was when he had more pieces of the puzzle around him.

They should have a stat of altered plays. How many plays does the player adversely affect the QB? If they'd kept stats on that from the get go, Ed Jones would be HOF and that's the magic of JJ Watt, it is those plays he alters that establishes his value.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This sounds like absolute BS. Don't believe anything you're reading - this is all headline grabbing.

BigD49

Reaction score
Just because Mack got paid for average numbers we should overpay DLaw??????

Give me ADonald production for 140m
Bro idk what you're responding to...at literally zero point in my post did I say anything about re-signing him, let alone indicate I think we should overpay him...I was solely pointing out his poor production in the second half of the season :huh: