DLaw looking for 6 years, $140 mil with $85 garuanteed

Rayman70

Reaction score
He'd have to sign the tag to be traded. Which I'm sure he would do if they had a trade he liked setup.
EXACTLY...plus if the team he was headed to already had the parameters of a long term deal worked out.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Have to sign to be traded. Once tagged, he is treated as under contract. If he doesn’t sign it or a new deal by July 15, then he can only play under the tag this season.
"Players may sign the tender at any point after officially being tagged. Until the tender is inked, the team can rescind the franchise or transition tag. Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season. If a player does not sign the tender, they remain without a contract, and therefore are not subject to fine schedules for skipping offseason workouts (as we saw with Bell last year). A player who has not signed the tender can also not be traded."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...se-tag-primer-teams-can-start-tagging-players

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"Players may sign the tender at any point after officially being tagged. Until the tender is inked, the team can rescind the franchise or transition tag. Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season. If a player does not sign the tender, they remain without a contract, and therefore are not subject to fine schedules for skipping offseason workouts (as we saw with Bell last year). A player who has not signed the tender can also not be traded."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...se-tag-primer-teams-can-start-tagging-players
True he also does not get paid until he signs it. I don't fore see Lawrence skipping out on 20 million dollars he may skip OTA but in the end if his play is not great after this season I doubt many teams will be lining up to pay him even more money so the incentive for him to play good ball is still there.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
6 years, $140M, $85M guaranteed .......other words, he's looking 4 years $21.5M per year. The 6 years, $140M means little or nothing coz he never going to see that.

Sydla

Reaction score

ESisback

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, they're probably tired of hearing "pay the man" by a bunch of mathematically challenged fans. Those fans should have no problem with the old Booger, who did exactly that

Those same fans would then gripe about Jerry paying too much.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Again, doesn't he need to sign the tag for the Cowboys to be able to trade him?

He could simply say screw you and not sign the tag. Then the Cowboys are stuck, right?

Yes, but Tank could agree to a trade especially if he will get the money he wants.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He could sign the tag at the last second and have his surgery and miss part of the season and still get his 20 million. That would be a slap in the face by D-Law and not his agent.

Sydla

Reaction score
Have to sign to be traded. Once tagged, he is treated as under contract. If he doesn’t sign it or a new deal by July 15, then he can only play under the tag this season.

Inaccurate.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Put him on the block. If you can get a 1, take it. If not pull the tag and take the comp pick next year. I would tell the agent go out and see if someone wants to pay you and we’ll work out a trade.

Might get a 3rd or 4th for him that's about it.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
Let me say Watts missed most of the past 2 season and came back this season to post 16 sacks. DLaw is a good player do I put him within the top 5 outside rushers maybe, do I put him in the top 3? No. Dallas is offering up a deal that makes him the highest paid DE in the NFL I'm fine with it but the actions by DLaw agent or DLaw himself of then jacking the price higher? Not ok with that. I don't expect him to give some discount and Dallas at this stage is not offering up a low ball or discount price we are talking the highest paid DE in the league. So any notion he has leverage? Dallas has clear cut option available to them and should DLaw continue down this path I think Dallas may very well use them. Dallas was able to win games during the second half of the season when DLaw play was not stellar they are not going to sink should they be forced to move on from him

It's fine to question the negotiating tactics of Lawrence and his agent. But to be honest, I also question the tactics of the Cowboys. They could have had this done last year for less money, but decided to play hardball using the Tag. They should have had the forsight that this could happen. But since tagging him, not only was Lawrence great, Mack's deal came and blew up the market for pass rushers.

I'm not here to argue whether Lawrence is worth that money, I'm just saying he's likely to find that. And if so is Dallas prepared to have a backup plan? People reference the Patriots, but they always have replacements? Does Dallas have someone in the pipeline to replace him? Knowing all this, why wouldn't Lawrence ask for the moon and then some?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fact is 16 guys had more sacks last season than Lawrence. He is a good player again top? elite? NO he is not. People will talk of teams (mainly Jerry) over valuing players yet I think some players over value themselves.

Flamma

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Dallas pulls the tag they can't even trade him. So they'll lose him for nothing other than a compensatory pick. So there's no way they going to do that. And Tank will get something close to that in the open market, so many teams need a pass rusher. Teams like the Colts and Bills have plenty of cap space and desperate for pass rush help. They'll overpay for that type of talent.

Teams like the Colts and Bills have it to spend. But we're yet to see if they want to spend that on Tank. That's not a guarantee. Besides that, how many times have we seen big contracts signed by players on crap teams that end in nothing? Suh for example with the Dolphins. Some players just don't care where they go, they just want to make a fortune and couldn't care less if the team wins or not. At this moment the Cowboys can't compete against those teams. I'm just thinking team. I don't care about Lawrence the person. What he ends up making is still up in the air. Yes he'll probably make close to that, but is 20M a year close? That's what we're currently offering if I'm not mistaken.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Inaccurate.

Dee Ford was franchised this season by KC and immediately they began looking to trade him which they did for a 2nd round pick. He never signed the tender. Instead he signed a long term deal with the 49ers as part of the trade. That is how it works. No team will ever trade for a tagged player without working out a deal first but Dallas does not need him to sign the tag to go shopping him for picks. Yes, he will have to sign something as part of the trade or no one would trade for him but it doesn’t have to be the tender.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
2 back surgeries, suspended for violating the substance abuse policy and still needs surgery this year........... 23/140/85 sounds like a bargain. o_O