DMN: Blog: Christmas comes early for the Cowboys

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Christmas comes early for the Cowboys

8:09 PM Sun, Dec 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Despite losing two of the last three games, all the Cowboys need is a win next week to get in the playoffs.

The Cowboys needed a break after closing Texas Stadium with a loss to the Ravens. They got it when the Chargers beat the Bucs. The Eagles' loss to the Commanders didn't hurt, either, since Philly needs help to get in the playoffs even if it beats the Cowboys next week.

The Cowboys said at the beginning of the month that their playoffs were starting. They really are in a win-or-the-end mode now.

(No, Wade, a win next week wouldn't count as your first playoff victory, just like last season's bye didn't.)

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Cbz40;2516446 said:
Christmas comes early for the Cowboys

8:09 PM Sun, Dec 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Despite losing two of the last three games, all the Cowboys need is a win next week to get in the playoffs.

The Cowboys needed a break after closing Texas Stadium with a loss to the Ravens. They got it when the Chargers beat the Bucs. The Eagles' loss to the Commanders didn't hurt, either, since Philly needs help to get in the playoffs even if it beats the Cowboys next week.

The Cowboys said at the beginning of the month that their playoffs were starting. They really are in a win-or-the-end mode now.

(No, Wade, a win next week wouldn't count as your first playoff victory, just like last season's bye didn't.)
No, Wade, a win next week wouldn't count as your first playoff victory, just like last season's bye didn't.)

I was thinking the same thing!

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joe Realist;2516467 said:
No, Wade, a win next week wouldn't count as your first playoff victory, just like last season's bye didn't.)

I was thinking the same thing!

But it sure would be sweet. You enter the playoffs with an 0-0 record. Anything can happen at that point. Who's to say the Cowboys won't get hot at the right time? If we get there, I will be happy about it, unlike some folks around here.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2516488 said:
But it sure would be sweet. You enter the playoffs with an 0-0 record. Anything can happen at that point. Who's to say the Cowboys won't get hot at the right time? If we get there, I will be happy about it, unlike some folks around here.

Yep. The number of bandwagon "fans" on this board really shocked me. I could not get over all those crying about not even wanting to make the playoffs even if we could. All it takes is getting hot at the right time. That time is now.

Reaction score
I'm not even excited, it's a shame. But Dallas has proven it can't beat top teams in key games, so why even make the playoffs, knowing they won't go far.

bigE79

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2516488 said:
so true:bow:

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ThreeSportStar80;2516532 said:
I'm not even excited, it's a shame. But Dallas has proven it can't beat top teams in key games, so why even make the playoffs, knowing they won't go far.

Did we not just beat the Giants? I must have been completely dreaming that or something?!?

We have lost 2 of the last 3, but both those loses came to the #1 and #2 defenses in the entire league. Both being close games.

Mansta54

Reaction score

Sorry dude but this is such a piss poor attitude. There's no way you've played competitive sports before. If so, I sure wouldn't want you on my team. Geez!!! I kinda feel a lil sorry for you dude....

Nav22

Reaction score
But Dallas has proven it can't beat top teams in key games, so why even make the playoffs, knowing they won't go far.
And Peyton Manning proved he couldn't win the big one after his SIXTH playoff loss.

We played the Steelers and Ravens tough. Gift-wrapped the game to Pittsburgh after leading by 10 with 7 minutes left, and would've beaten the Ravens had a handful of key plays gone our way (deep ball to T.O. he didn't see, deep ball overthrown to Austin, fumble by Choice out of bounds, botched fumble recovery by Hamlin, etc).

Would it have been nice to finish those games? Sure. But there's no reason to believe we can't compete with ANY team in the NFL.

If we take care of business next Sunday, we have as good a shot as anybody.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
LandryFan;2516525 said:
Yep. The number of bandwagon "fans" on this board really shocked me. I could not get over all those crying about not even wanting to make the playoffs even if we could. All it takes is getting hot at the right time. That time is now.

I think you misunderstand many of those posters. They're not bandwagon fans.

They're simply venting their frustrations.

Sure, most Cowboys fans, if not all, want to see the team win.

But we also are students of history and we as humans pride ourselves on being able to make astute observations about life and human nature. And our observations tell us this: that the sloppy, inconsistent play exhibited by the Cowboys does not translate to a Super Bowl appearance. It's like expecting a gigglo to be faithful just because he's married. Yeah, maybe he will be. But history and human observation suggests that he's not going to be.

I would be happy to see the Cowboys get to the Super Bowl, despite my frustrations with this team. But if they're not going to do that, I don't want to see them get embarassed.

We're spoiled as Cowboys fans. I want to see the dominance displayed during the Jimmy Johnson era. I want to see the mistake-free teams the Cowboys were in the 90s.

That's why we get frustrated. We're spoiled by success and memories of successful regimes and what it took to be successful, i.e., consistent play, smash-mouth football, mistake-free football, smart, disciplined football.

That's not being a bandwagon fan. That's just being a fan that wants perfection based on what we're used to of Super Bowl winning teams. :)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2517132 said:

But we also are students of history and we as humans pride ourselves on being able to make astute observations about life and human nature. And our observations tell us this: that the sloppy, inconsistent play exhibited by the Cowboys does not translate to a Super Bowl appearance. It's like expecting a gigglo to be faithful just because he's married. Yeah, maybe he will be. But history and human observation suggests that he's not going to be.

I would be happy to see the Cowboys get to the Super Bowl, despite my frustrations with this team. But if they're not going to do that, I don't want to see them get embarassed.

We're spoiled as Cowboys fans. I want to see the dominance displayed during the Jimmy Johnson era. I want to see the mistake-free teams the Cowboys were in the 90s.

That's why we get frustrated. We're spoiled by success and memories of successful regimes and what it took to be successful, i.e., consistent play, smash-mouth football, mistake-free football, smart, disciplined football.

That's not being a bandwagon fan. That's just being a fan that wants perfection based on what we're used to of Super Bowl winning teams. :)

Or, in other words, being a crybaby!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
5Stars;2517146 said:
Or, in other words, being a crybaby!

If that juvenile term is more in line with your perspective, have at it.

But, from my mature perch, ;) demanding perfection isn't being a crybaby, unless you think Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman were crybabies.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

that is pretty defeatist

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2517132 said:

I want to nail Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Alba, but since I can't I have to accept what I can get. If all you expect is perfection, you will never be satisfied because ultimately you are relying on someone else to do the perfecting for you.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2517162 said:
I want to nail Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Alba, but since I can't I have to accept what I can get. If all you expect is perfection, you will never be satisfied because ultimately you are relying on someone else to do the perfecting for you.

You're getting a little bit deeper than I was suggesting with my analogy.

Perfection, in this case, is winning the Super Bowl, and doing what it takes to get there. I'm not talking about a team that goes penalty-free throughout the year or even wins every game.

I would hope that would be all fans' expectation rather than just making the playoffs.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2517151 said:
If that juvenile term is more in line with your perspective, have at it.

But, from my mature perch, ;) demanding perfection isn't being a crybaby, unless you think Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman were crybabies.

No...you didn't get what you want. So, what are you doing! Crying...like the brat that did not get his cookies and milk.

Nothing is perfect...I though you went to College? :confused: Even the 90's team was "not perfect"!

You really need your editor sitting next to you before you hit the "submit" button!

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Cowboys win their next two games.

... get into the playoffs and then win a playoff game - to get the "can't win a playoff game" monkey off of their back.

Given their knack for underachievement, a playoff win would be a big accomplishment for this team.

And maybe they could take it even a little farther than that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
5Stars;2517171 said:
No...you didn't get what you want. So, what are you doing! Crying...like the brat that did not get his cookies and milk.

Nothing is perfect...I though you went to College? :confused: Even the 90's team was "not perfect"!

You really need your editor sitting next to you before you hit the "submit" button!

Uh, maybe you need a dose of CONTEXT. College does teach you to read things in context and ask questions if you lack understanding, as opposed to taking the juvenile route and launching insults. ;)

Go back and read my post. I'm not talking about perfection, i.e., going 16-0 and having no penalties. I'm talking about perfection as in getting to the Super Bowl and winning it.

Furthermore, the Cowboys aren't your personal team so let's leave the personal chatter out of this, as if I insulted your mother obligating you to feel the need to drag my profession in this discussion. :rolleyes:

You're not the only fan. I'm a fan also. I have a different perspective than you. If you want to discuss perspectives, let's do that. But if you want to engage in Internet insults, I'll let you play with the rest of the children on this forum.

Deal? ;)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2517188 said:
Uh, maybe you need a dose of CONTEXT. College does teach you to read things in context and ask questions if you lack understanding, as opposed to taking the juvenile route and launching insults. ;)

Go back and read my post. I'm not talking about perfection, i.e., going 16-0 and having no penalties. I'm talking about perfection as in getting to the Super Bowl and winning it.

Furthermore, the Cowboys aren't your personal team so let's leave the personal chatter out of this, as if I insulted your mother obligating you to feel the need to drag my profession in this discussion. :rolleyes:

You're not the only fan. I'm a fan also. I have a different perspective than you. If you want to discuss perspectives, let's do that. But if you want to engage in Internet insults, I'll let you play with the rest of the children on this forum.

Deal? ;)

Two of us picked up what you stated in your first post. Not very good writing for what you wanted to convey. Context? :laugh2:

Deal!

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
No, justice came early for the Cowboys.

Bucs 9

Cowboys 13

Brad Johnson was the quarterback. End of discussion.:rolleyes: