DMN Blog: DeMarcus Ware '08 vs. Michael Strahan '01

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9:47 AM Thu, Dec 18, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Michael Strahan owns the NFL record for sacks in a season with 22.5 in 2001 for the New York Giants. DeMarcus Ware needs four sacks in his final two games to break the record.

Strahan had three games without a sack. Ware has had one. Strahan had 184 sack yards. Ware has 109. Strahan forced seven fumbles. Ware has forced five.

Here's a tale of the tape on their seasons:

Strahan
Sept. 10 at Denver - 0 sacks
Sept. 23 at Kansas City - 0 sacks
Sept. 30 vs. New Orleans - 3 sacks (26 yards)
Oct. 7 vs. Washington - 1.5 sacks (12 yards)
Oct. 14 at St. Louis - 4 sacks (28 yards)
Oct. 22 vs. Philadelphia - 2 sacks (14 yards)
Oct. 28 at Washington - 2 sacks (19 yards)
Nov. 4 vs. Dallas - 1.5 sacks (4.5 yards)
Nov. 11 at Arizona - 1 sack (32 yards)
Nov. 19 at Minnesota - 0 sacks
Nov. 25 vs. Oakland - .5 sacks (.5 yards)
Dec. 9 at Dallas - 1 sack (7 yards)
Dec 15 vs. Arizona - .5 sacks (4.5 yards)
Dec. 23 vs. Seattle - 1 sack (7 yards)
Dec. 30 at Philadelphia - 3.5 sacks (22 yards)
Jan. 6 vs. Green Bay - 1 sack (7 yards)

Ware
Sept. 7 at Cleveland - 1 sack (0 yards)
Sept. 15 vs. Philadelphia - 1 sack (4 yards)
Sept. 21 at Green Bay - 1 sack (12 yards)
Sept. 28 vs. Washington - 1 sack (4 yards)
Oct. 5 vs. Cincinnati - 1 sack (3 yards)
Oct. 12 at Arizona - 1 sack (10 yards)
Oct. 19 at St. Louis - 3 sacks (15 yards)
Oct. 26 vs. Tampa Bay - 0 sacks
Nov. 2 at NY Giants - 1 sack (0 yards)
Nov. 16 at Washington - 1 sack (10 yards)
Nov. 23 vs. San Francisco - 1 sack (4 yards)
Nov. 27 vs. Seattle - 3 sacks (21 yards)
Dec. 7 at Pittsburgh - 1 sack (7 yards)
Dec. 14 vs. NY Giants - 3 sacks (19 yards)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think an important distinction between the two is that Strahan did it at the LDE spot. For the large majority of his career, he did it against Right Tackles. Ware is playing against Left Offensive Tackles or, the most talented OL on any teams roster for the most part.

It does not add or subtract from Strahan's accomplishment but I do think it is worth noting.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503737 said:
I think an important distinction between the two is that Strahan did it at the LDE spot. For the large majority of his career, he did it against Right Tackles. Ware is playing against Left Offensive Tackles or, the most talented OL on any teams roster for the most part.

It does not add or subtract from Strahan's accomplishment but I do think it is worth noting.

Since you might see Ware more against RTs, if he doesn't break it this year, he will break it next barring Wade isn't gone.

JerryFan

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503737 said:

Wade has actually been moving him around lately on passing downs, which has helped D-Ware out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JerryFan;2503760 said:
Wade has actually been moving him around lately on passing downs, which has helped D-Ware out.

He has been moving him around. That is true but I don't know that Ware has recorded many, if any sacks from the LDE spot. That might be an interesting search.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2503791 said:
He has been moving him around. That is true but I don't know that Ware has recorded many, if any sacks from the LDE spot. That might be an interesting search.

Well, 2 of his 3 in the Giants game were from the left side.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503737 said:

Ware does it from both sides, sometimes he even stunts inside and is blocked by guards.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Strahan's dubious (Favre) NFL record may be 22, but the Cowboys record is 23 by Harvey Martin in 1977.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think Ware is going to actually get it this year. I just have a good feeling for him getting it this year.

It would be absolutely classic, and amazing, if he could have his best sack game of the regular season, this weekend, and get all 4 in the final game at Texas Stadium.

That would be a beautiful way to help close the stadium out, along with the W that would come with it. :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chief;2503808 said:
Strahan's dubious (Favre) NFL record may be 22, but the Cowboys record is 23 by Harvey Martin in 1977.

That's true Chief and I believe Decon Jones recorded something like 26 or 27 one year.

How are you old friend? It's started to Snow here. Don't know if your going to get much down your way or not.

bigE79

Reaction score
Chief;2503808 said:
Wouldnt it be funny as hell if Mcnabb took a dive to get WARE the record...I would be in shock! :star:

Thomas82

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2503810 said:
I think Ware is going to actually get it this year. I just have a good feeling for him getting it this year.

It would be absolutely classic, and amazing, if he could have his best sack game of the regular season, this weekend, and get all 4 in the final game at Texas Stadium.

That would be a beautiful way to help close the stadium out, along with the W that would come with it. :)

I would love for it to happen that way.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503737 said:

I agree on the former.

I disagree on the latter.
I think it does subtract from Strahan. There was an advantage player vs lesser quality linemen(on right side)

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503811 said:
That's true Chief and I believe Decon Jones recorded something like 26 or 27 one year.

How are you old friend? It's started to Snow here. Don't know if your going to get much down your way or not.

Good, ABQ. Just windy and cloudy here.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bigE79;2503876 said:
Wouldnt it be funny as hell if Mcnabb took a dive to get WARE the record...I would be in shock! :star:
No, it wouldn't. People do not respect Strahan's record for that veery reason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chief;2504010 said:
Good, ABQ. Just windy and cloudy here.

Hundred miles an hour, 100% overcast? Yep, that's kinda how I remember it to.

:laugh2:

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2503737 said:

With that, that means that Strahan was rarely coming off a QB's blindside. Most QB's are right handed, and that means their left side is their blind side. That is why LT's are more important than RT's. So while Strahan may be facing a little bit of lesser talent, when he beats his man, the QB knows it.

bigE79

Reaction score
Hostile;2504014 said:
No, it wouldn't. People do not respect Strahan's record for that veery reason.
Thats why i stated i would be in shock:star: