DMN Blog: DeMarcus Ware '08 vs. Michael Strahan '01

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2504022 said:
With that, that means that Strahan was rarely coming off a QB's blindside. Most QB's are right handed, and that means their left side is their blind side. That is why LT's are more important than RT's. So while Strahan may be facing a little bit of lesser talent, when he beats his man, the QB knows it.

OK, what's harder, beating a superior athlete or running down a QB who can see you coming? I would also say that the term, "Litlle Bit Lesser" is subjective. In my opinion, the RT is usually a much lessor athlete. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2504000 said:
I agree on the former.

I disagree on the latter.
I think it does subtract from Strahan. There was an advantage player vs lesser quality linemen(on right side)
but than again most qbs can see Strahan coming from that side too which makes it more impressive. Ware is coming from the qbs blind side.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d6d3df&template=with-video&confirm=true

Mathis, Polamalu and Ware are poised to be difference-makers

Getty Images
Robert Mathis, Troy Polamalu and DeMarcus Ware look to make a big impact in Week 16.

The old adage is that defense wins championships. A trend that has permeated into the NFL in recent years, as evidenced by the most recent Super Bowl champions. Nine of the last 12 Super Bowl winners have featured a top-10 defense.

This year figures to be no different. NFL.com will spotlight three defensive difference-makers each week, looking at players who can change a game with just one play. Colts defensive end Robert Mathis, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware are players to watch in Week 16.

Robert Mathis, DE, Colts
The Colts defensive end has been on a tear lately, recording 6.5 sacks in his last four games. Mathis has matched a career high with 11.5 sacks this season, and ranks third in the AFC. Mathis is second in the league in forced fumbles. This week, Mathis and the Colts take on one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Jaguars quarterback David Garrard has been sacked 38 times this season, third highest total in the NFL. Expect Mathis to have a big game.

Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers
Polamalu is having one of his best statistical seasons in 2008, after not recording a single interception last year. Polamalu leads the NFL with seven interceptions and has four in his last five games. The Steelers face the Titans this week with home-field advantage in the AFC on the line. Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins has thrown three interceptions and just two touchdowns in his last three games and will have his hands full against Polamalu and the league's No. 1 defense.

DeMarcus Ware, DE, Cowboys
Ware leads the NFL with 19 sacks and is closing in on Michael Strahan's single-season sack record (22.5). Ware has tallied seven sacks in his last three weeks, and practically put the Cowboys back into the playoff race by himself on Sunday night. Ware sacked Giants quarterback Eli Manning three times in a huge win for the resurgent Cowboys. Ware looks to further his case for defensive MVP against Ravens rookie quarterback Joe Flacco and the Ravens on Saturday night on NFL Network.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Ware would get less chances to sack the QB if his teammates could recover some of the fumbles he has forced.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
joseephuss;2504615 said:
Ware would get less chances to sack the QB if his teammates could recover some of the fumbles he has forced.
Definitely true, I would like to see our Dline be more aWare of Ware. I just wish our D was causing these turnovers the first 6 weeks of the season.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ware actually should have credit for another sack making his total 20. The league office however gave the sack to zach thomas for some bloody unknown reason even though it was ware who chased the qb OOB's in an earlier game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Think about how many sacks this team has wiffed on this year. We could easily be near the record, as a team, if we had made half the sacks we were in position to make but just didn't get the QB to the ground on. Seriously, Ware would probably have the record already and we would be very close to the all time Sack record.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2504644 said:
Think about how many sacks this team has wiffed on this year. We could easily be near the record, as a team, if we had made half the sacks we were in position to make but just didn't get the QB to the ground on. Seriously, Ware would probably have the record already and we would be very close to the all time Sack record.

That happens to every team. You get some and you lose some. Sometimes the QB trips and falls and the defense is given a sack. It typically all evens out in the end.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
joseephuss;2504665 said:
That happens to every team. You get some and you lose some. Sometimes the QB trips and falls and the defense is given a sack. It typically all evens out in the end.

True, but there was a point earlier in the season that it looked as if the team hadn't played tackle football before....about the time that the 'camp cupcake' stuff started in full swing again. During that time (I'd guess it was four or five week) this team missed more than its fair share of tackles...including sacks. IIRC there were games that we missed on four or five sacks. Those add up.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Just looking at the game-by-game breakdown, you can see that Strahan's 22.5 includes at least five (probably more) shared sacks, or "half-sacks." Ware doesn't get many of those. In fact I don't remember any. I know he couldn't possibly have more than two.

It makes no sense at all to distinguish solo tackles if you aren't going to distinguish solo sacks as well.

It could be that Ware has already set the record for solo sacks in a season.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
jimnabby;2503777 said:
Strahan
Nov. 11 at Arizona - 1 sack (32 yards)

Now that must have been an interesting play.
Or plays. It could also have been 32 total yards on two half-sacks.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2503808 said:
Strahan's dubious (Favre) NFL record may be 22, but the Cowboys record is 23 by Harvey Martin in 1977.

Yes indeed. You'd think the NFL could look into their films and give ol' Harvey (among others) his/their due.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chief;2503808 said:
Strahan's dubious (Favre) NFL record may be 22, but the Cowboys record is 23 by Harvey Martin in 1977.

Whats amazing about Martin's yr is that several teammates said he lost 4-6 sacks because they werent official stats...some plays that apparently were sacks were called QB runs or something else...

I heard the same thing about Daecon Jones...some guys swore he had a season or two with 25-30 sacks

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Chief;2503808 said:

I'm hoping that Ware gets the 23 to set this right. Martin is the real record holder, but the sack stat wasn't kept in those days. The NFL really needs to have researches watch all the films of the Super Bowl era at the very least, and retroactively credit the sacks to the players like Harvey Martin.