DMN Blog Gosselin: Early Defensive ROY candidate prediction

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Being a local guy I've always liked the Chiefs a little bit just because of proximity, but of course the Cowboys rule in my book forever.

Saying that, I would love to see a shootout of NFL Devensive Rookie of the year between DJ and Demarcus... that would be one special season... especially if Dallas gets the nod in the head to head game and DJ gets stymied by our OL... meeting Rivera and Allen a couple of times along with a rejuvinated Lousaka Polite...

Go Pokes!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
parchy said:
I like how he deflects one pass and all of the sudden he's a shoe in for DROY.

Let's see him take on blockers who play for another team before we hand him the Rookie of the Year award.

But he has a great shot of standing out on that Chief defense. Most of them are pretty bad and if he is used right, he could have a monster year.

Alexander

Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
At that point, I'm sure we would have strongly considered taking DJ with Coakley gone. And nobody would have thought it a poor pick.

Correct me if wrong, but were we not one of the teams who had Johnson graded very low according to Gosselin?

I recall there being a good deal of talk that we really did not like him that much and may have even graded him as a second round prospect.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Correct me if wrong, but were we not one of the teams who had Johnson graded very low according to Gosselin?

I recall there being a good deal of talk that we really did not like him that much and may have even graded him as a second round prospect.
I hope not. I don't like to think of Jeff Ireland as an idiot.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
It is funny how ESPN picked DJ as having the most bust potential, and now after a swatted pass he's DROY.

Playing flag football during minnie camp is a lot different than shedding blockers and learning how to make a fundamental tackle. Running around(avoiding) a blocker and then catching the ball carrier from the backside down field won't win a starting job in the NFL.

Let's wait and see.

Alexander

Reaction score
Tio said:
I hope not. I don't like to think of Jeff Ireland as an idiot.

If we graded him as a second round choice there would have been a reason.

Besides that, what if Coach Parcells said he was a second round talent. Would you feel it necessary to brand him an idiot as well?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
there is no evidence of that. And the knock on dj is his tackling technique and his agressiveness in run defense, as he relys on his speed more than taking on OL. Well, we drafted Ware, who, along with playing against worse competition, was a DE who relied on his speed and doesn't have any passrushing moves at all besides turning the corner. He is being relied on to switch to OLB and will need to learn to cover. Seems like a much bigger risk all together than DJ and his dat like run defense (which is how many OLBs today defend the run, former DPOY derrick brooks included.

Alexander

Reaction score
Tio said:
there is no evidence of that. And the knock on dj is his tackling technique and his agressiveness in run defense, as he relys on his speed more than taking on OL. Well, we drafted Ware, who, along with playing against worse competition, was a DE who relied on his speed and doesn't have any passrushing moves at all besides turning the corner. He is being relied on to switch to OLB and will need to learn to cover. Seems like a much bigger risk all together than DJ and his dat like run defense (which is how many OLBs today defend the run, former DPOY derrick brooks included.

From what I remember it was not as much taking on offensive linemen, it was how he plays. The big thing was that he ran around blocks and often out of plays and was not an in-your-face defender.

I just think he was not a good fit for what we wanted to do. That does not make him a bad player or our staff idiots for not taking him. Some players fit better in different systems.

I would rather have Demarcus Ware who is bigger and used to taking on blockers than Johnson in our style of defense. That being said, Johnson might be better off in the AFC West, which is a finesse division.

I also think too many locals (Texas fans) got all bothered that their favorite player was not a fit to the Cowboys. It happens every year.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Who's gonna wait 5 years? I predict this year there will be someone. :D
That someone might be me.

I thought he was the best defensive player in the draft.

I had the Cowboys selecting him in my final mock draft. I hope Ware becomes a much better player because I don't want to go through another 10 seasons fretting about Johnson like I do when it comes to Moss/Ellis.

He just reminds me so much of the Terrell Suggs situation. All you heard leading up the draft was Suggs poor 40 time. All you heard about DJ was how he couldn't shed blockers but like Suggs he always made plays against ALL competition.

Please Ware be the next LT.

Alexander

Reaction score
Charles said:
That someone might be me.

I thought he was the best defensive player in the draft.

I had the Cowboys selecting him in my final mock draft. I hope Ware becomes a much better player because I don't want to go through another 10 seasons fretting about Johnson like I do when it comes to Moss/Ellis.

He just reminds me so much of the Terrell Suggs situation. All you heard leading up the draft was Suggs poor 40 time. All you heard about DJ was how he couldn't shed blockers but like Suggs he always made plays against ALL competition.

Please Ware be the next LT.

And if Johnson does well, I am sure we will hear all about it. For years and years and years.:(

There is no way anyone can convince me that given the things we wanted to accomplish from this draft that Johnson was better suited than Ware.

I mean we have one of the greatest coaches of all time drafting players for his defense and we have fans still questioning it. Amazing.

Does anyone recall the comments, if any, Coach Parcells had to say about DJ?

Tobal

Reaction score
Apples to Oranges we needed upfield attacker, while I think DJ is capable of that it's not his best asset. DJ will be a player he's just wasn't at the top of our need list.

KC got a steal in my opinion. That doesn't mean anything bad about Ware, I really like the way our first round went.