DMN Blog: Jerry Jones compares Tashard Choice to Emmitt Smith

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11:02 AM Fri, Nov 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

For whatever reason, Wade Phillips is hesitant to give Tashard Choice a significant role in the offense. Phillips mentioned yesterday that he hoped to get Choice more carries ... when the Cowboys were cruising late with a big lead.

Jerry Jones, on the other hand, is all fired up about the fourth-round pick's potential. He went so far as to note that Choice, who has 72 yards on 13 carries, has a similar style to the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

"He's a very good runner," Jerry told Norm Hitzges on The Ticket this morning. "Reminds you - now we all know Emmitt Smith, and he's no Emmitt Smith - but he does remind you with his running style. He's so efficient in how he makes his yards. He's a north-south runner. Give him a chance, and he's going to do some good."

Is Choice ready to give Marion Barber a break for five or 10 carries per game?

"Yes," Jerry answered. "Absolutely."

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Who knows what the team has in Choice. He doesn't get a sniffs worth of playing time.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He has to get the ball this week.

There is no way that barber can have 50 carries in 4 days and 2 games.

That is not possible. And it is flat out crazy.

I would imagine we throw the ball alot in the two games this week and try and use barber to close out games we are winning, hopefully.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Great, just what this team needs: Coach Jerry. :rolleyes:

Then again, with Phillips as the head coach, maybe what this team needs is, well, Coach Jeffy. :laugh2:

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
I'm guessing he sucks at picking up the blitz, I don't see any other reason why he can't get 10 touches a game w/ Felix on IR. Just makes no sense, as everytime I've seen him carry the ball, he seems to gain yards. I haven't seen him catch a ball, maybe he has butterfingers, but I find that highly unlikely. Very strange.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Why must Jerry comment on everything Cowboys......
Leave it up to Wade - that is why he is there.....

deepBLUE

Reaction score
since jerry writes garrett's paycheck, maybe he'll pass this info. along. i've been really frustrated with garrett's lack of tendency to try to keep barber fresh for the 4th qtr. (his big strength)....

i like what i've seen of choice...use him!! that would only help barber. garrett, please refererence the giants' rotation for further study.

now, excuse me; i'm going to continue to sulk about the felix thing.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2433220 said:
11:02 AM Fri, Nov 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

For whatever reason, Wade Phillips is hesitant to give Tashard Choice a significant role in the offense. Phillips mentioned yesterday that he hoped to get Choice more carries ... when the Cowboys were cruising late with a big lead.

Jerry Jones, on the other hand, is all fired up about the fourth-round pick's potential. He went so far as to note that Choice, who has 72 yards on 13 carries, has a similar style to the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

"He's a very good runner," Jerry told Norm Hitzges on The Ticket this morning. "Reminds you - now we all know Emmitt Smith, and he's no Emmitt Smith - but he does remind you with his running style. He's so efficient in how he makes his yards. He's a north-south runner. Give him a chance, and he's going to do some good."

"Yes," Jerry answered. "Absolutely."

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

There you have it. If the coach says he's ready, then he's ready. Get him in assistant coach Wade.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Joe Realist;2433265 said:
Jerry, why don't you compare yourself to Al Davis.

Yeah I can't wait until Jethro's more senile and delusional than he is now in a few years and the Cowboys play like the Raiders do now!:rolleyes:

At the moment they're comparable to Oakland in penalties the only difference is we have Romo. The only good QB the Raiders have had in the last 20 years was Gannon, atleast that I can think of!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade commented in yesterday's presser that they'd already discussed whether to give Choice more carries. Jerry isn't saying anything out of the ordinary.
DailyZone said:
(Why haven't you played Choice more?) Tashard Choice being a young player, we felt like Marion could get through it, he's an exceptional guy. In some cases we'd like to limit his carries but you want your best players out there when the game is on the line and the last few games we've been trying to get the game on the line. We'd like to get ahead and play the other guy some, or choose our spots during the game. Marion is a great worker, he works out after every practice.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2433220 said:
"He's a very good runner when he's not on the sidelines," Jerry told Norm Hitzges on The Ticket this morning. "Reminds you - now we all know Emmitt Smith, and he's no Emmitt Smith because Emmitt Smith was rarely seen standing on the sidelines- but he does remind you with his running style, you know, when he's not standing over there on the sidelines. He's so efficient in how he makes his yards when he's barely on the field. He's a north-south runner just like Wade's a north-south sidelines pacer. Give him a chance, and he's going to do some good when, you know, he's on the field and not standing on the sidelines."

"Yes," Jerry answered. "Absolutely. That is, if he's not standing on the sidelines that is."
Fixed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;2433300 said:
Not enough lip smacks and uhs in there...but pretty close.:laugh2:
I thought about doing just that, but I used all of them on GimmeTheBall's thanksgiving thread. :D

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Velvet Jones;2433365 said:
Who hasn't Jerry compared to Emmitt??
Wade Phillips, but that's only because the first image that pops into his skull is the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man.