DMN Blog: Jerry Jones keeps Wade Phillips...Here's Why

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones keeps Wade Phillips

4:57 PM Fri, Dec 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

That could be a headline for the 2009 season. Really.

Here's why.

Jason Garrett.

Garrett is not ready to be a head coach. He might think he is, though he hasn't said it, but his offense has been shoddy this season and there's a disconnect between the offensive coordinator and the wide receivers. I don't believe Garrett and Terrell Owens can exist another season.

Injuries.

Now, the team has placed seven guys on injured reserve this season. Dallas has lost its punter, No. 2 running back and starting left guard for the season. Plus Tony Romo has missed three games, Marion Barber has a dislocated pinkie toe, Jason Witten is banged up, Ken Hamlin and Keith Davis are hurting as well.

The candidates.

Jerry Jones doesn't want to hire Mike Holmgren, especially with Holmgren saying he won't coach in 2009. Besides, if Jones wanted Holmgren what does that mean for Garrett. Now, Jones and Holmgren are good friends, but I think Holmgren is old and tired.

Bill Cowher is a nice choice, but it costs a lot of money. Would you say $4 million to $5 million per season for Cowher?

Is there somebody else out there? The Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo? The Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier? Bob Stoops?
Doubtful.

So maybe Jones keeps Phillips for 2009. He's building a case right now.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah, Jerry emphatically "stated" that the coaching staff is "in place". He got a little sideways and even cursed at the reporter who badgered him about the subject. He sounded pretty firm and decided about this matter.............

What a shame.............................

Eddie

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a TO-less 2009 squad.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Eddie;2525074 said:

That was an interesting comment that Watkins didn't think TO and Garrett could last one more year. RJ is Jerry's boy, but I can't see him letting TO go.

But then, Watkins doesn't know what the term "shamless plug" means and he thinks he could coach the team to a playoff win.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Eddie;2525074 said:

Not me. The guy still commands the respect of the opposing defense, and RW11 hasn't shown me jack.

LUVDABOYS

Reaction score
Eddie;2525074 said:
T.O. could have gotten away with almost anything as far as Jerry is concerned. What he couldnt do is fight with Romo, JW or Ware. Unless Owens breaks out big against Philly and the playoffs, I see him gone in 2009.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
No TO next year? You really think Jones will take that cap hit and admit to a mistake at the same time.

Dream on.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
M'Kevon;2525128 said:
No TO next year? You really think Jones will take that cap hit and admit to a mistake at the same time.

Dream on.

The mistake would be keeping Garrett,

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
What exactly has Cowher done w/o Dick LeBeau anyway? Pass.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Another reason...continuity.

With a new stadium in 2009, last thing that I think Jerry wants is an upheaval; the image of rebuilding. Things were tough enough this season, they'd only be tougher having to learn a new system.

Jerry's a businessman. He made a huge investment in Jason Garrett. With your points above, I think it means that Jerry wants to make sure his money is going to bring back a solid return. This is a time when I think Jerry doesn't fold'em and doesn't run.

It's not like Dallas is 0-15 y'know. Continuity...even though I'm having my doubts about Jason Garrett, your points do make a valid point: what if Felix stays healthy? What if Romo doesn't break his pinky? What if Kosier stays healthy? What if we don't lose nearly all the S's on the roster?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many FA's Dallas has to worry about losing after this season. Most key players are signed...continuity. I think that also means plenty of trade bait that the coaches can work with next year.

The only coach that I think should really be worrying about his job is Bruce Read. But not Wade, he's done wonders w/ that defense and I think Garrett gets one more year to prove himself.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think it is a huge mistake to reward medicocrity. If we don't make the Playoffs, this is exactly what Jerry Jones will be doing.

I think one of Jerry Jones' biggest mistakes is possibly guranteeing Jason Garrett that he will be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

No General Manager should ever allow its Offensive Coordinator to hold the team hostage with regards to replacing the Head Coach.

If Jerry Jones decides to retain Wade Phillips only because he is worried about what Jason Garrett will think, he has failed as a General Manager.

Also, yes, I would pay Bill Cowher big bucks to come and coach here. There is already talent here, he knows the 3-4, could possibly woo some of his former subordinates to come to Dallas and most importantly, he has skins on the wall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maikeru-sama;2525159 said:
I think it is a huge mistake to reward medicocrity. If we don't make the Playoffs, this is exactly what Jerry Jones will be doing.

I think one of Jerry Jones' biggest mistakes is possibly guranteeing Jason Garrett that he will be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

No General Manager should ever allow its Offensive Coordinator to hold the team hostage with regards to replacing the Head Coach.

If Jerry Jones decides to retain Wade Phillips only because he is worried about what Jason Garrett will think, he has failed as a General Manager.

Also, yes, I would pay Bill Cowher big bucks to come and coach here. There is already talent here, he knows the 3-4, could possibly woo some of his former subordinates to come to Dallas and most importantly, he has skins on the wall.
:hammer:

sacase

Reaction score
Eddie;2525074 said:

Guess you must be dreaming because that is not going to happen. The reality of the situation is TO is our best reciever and it is not even close. So put away your TO hate.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score

Something that none of our coaches, or players have.

Wade is a lifetime loser, great guy, will get you high sack totals and a solid defense - but won't get it done when it matters. He takes the blame for everything and reminds these guys how great they are everyday.

We don't need someone to tell them they suck everyday either, (ala BP).

I just know that if we lose Sunday, or the following Sunday. Regardless of what Jerry said this week, we will have a new head coach next season.

My money is on Garrett, we've made our bed. Now we got to sleep.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2525173 said:
Something that none of our coaches, or players have.

Wade is a lifetime loser, great guy, will get you high sack totals and a solid defense - but won't get it done when it matters. He takes the blame for everything and reminds these guys how great they are everyday.

We don't need someone to tell them they suck everyday either, (ala BP).

I just know that if we lose Sunday, or the following Sunday. Regardless of what Jerry said this week, we will have a new head coach next season.

My money is on Garrett, we've made our bed. Now we got to sleep.

I agree.

There is no way that reporters are going to get Jerry Jones to say Wade Phillips is coaching for his job.

Jerry Jones is so afraid that if Jason Garrett is not promoted to Head Coach, he will get another Head Coaching job and be successful. You can just tell Jerry Jones fears this, which could also do quite a bit of damage to this franchise because this type of fear could make you do things you normally wouldn't do, like promoting a guy who may not be ready to be Head Coach.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Wade back in 2009?

There goes our Super Bowl hopes for next year.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525179 said:
You can just tell Jerry Jones fears this, which could also do quite a bit of damage to this franchise because this type of fear could make you do things you normally wouldn't do, like promoting a guy who may not be ready to be Head Coach.

Jerry's spent the better part of the last dozen years hiring guys who shouldn't be NFL head coaches. I guess why should we expect anything different now?

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525179 said:
I agree.

There is no way that reporters are going to get Jerry Jones to say Wade Phillips is coaching for his job.

Jerry Jones is so afraid that if Jason Garrett is not promoted to Head Coach, he will get another Head Coaching job and be successful. You can just tell Jerry Jones fears this, which could also do quite a bit of damage to this franchise because this type of fear could make you do things you normally wouldn't do, like promoting a guy who may not be ready to be Head Coach.

Great point. It's got to be eating him up that Sparano has turned the Dolphins from 1-15 losers to a legit 10 win team.

That fear will make you do some crazy things.

(I.e.) Or trading a 1st, 3rd, and 6th (could've had for free in the offseason) for a questionable receiver and giving him the 2nd highest WR contract in football, because Romo went down and it looked like the ship was sinking.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score

Firing a coach for a bad or mediocre season is foolish and reactive. Looking at Cowher's resume, he has a few 9-7s, 8-8, 7-9 sprinkled around.

It's Wade's second year. If he goes 6-10 7-9 next year, then you may have a case for firing Wade.

Look at the Steelers, Titans, Broncos, Panthers, Patriots ,Colts and Buccaneers have in common? They have had a stable coaching situation and/or organizational philosophy for at least 7 years +.

Do these teams have poor years every now and then? Of course.

Are these teams playoff contenders and possible SB contenders more often than not? You betcha.

I just can't see dumping a coach that would have an almost 70% winning pct after 2 years, especially after all the issues that have dogged the team this year.