DMN Blog: Jerry Jones keeps Wade Phillips...Here's Why

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525159 said:
I think one of Jerry Jones' biggest mistakes is possibly guranteeing Jason Garrett that he will be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

It is always a mistake to award a "head coach-in waiting" position to anyone.

It rarely works out well.

I believe it has kept Garrett from doing more to solidify his status and I believe it has done little to help Phillips escape lame duck status.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure why we can't just say we lost an impressive offensive mind in Sparano and be ok with that. Houck might be a good OL coach, but he's not a co-ordinator.

It's not necessarily a knock on Garrett that we've missed Sparano this year.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Alexander;2525192 said:
It is always a mistake to award a "head coach-in waiting" position to anyone.

It rarely works out well.

I believe it has kept Garrett from doing more to solidify his status and I believe it has done little to help Phillips escape lame duck status.

Yeah I bet Seattle fans are real excited about Jim Mora. Those situations never work.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2525185 said:
Great point. It's got to be eating him up that Sparano has turned the Dolphins from 1-15 losers to a legit 10 win team.

That fear will make you do some crazy things.

(I.e.) Or trading a 1st, 3rd, and 6th (could've had for free in the offseason) for a questionable receiver and giving him the 2nd highest WR contract in football, because Romo went down and it looked like the ship was sinking.

Yep. Jerry's not a visionary, he's reactionary. He's constantly panicking which leads to bad decisions and overpaying.

But there's no doubt he wants Garrett to be the next HC here. He saw Sean Payton leave and have some initital success in New Orleans and now Sparano in Miami. The only reason I think he'd have Wade back is the same reason he brought Wade here in the first place, because Garrett still isn't ready to takeover.

Now if we lose Sunday, he could possibly can Wade and speed the process up and go ahead and promote Garrett. But I think he really doesn't want to lose Garrett, but also would rather give him another year before he takes over.

The deal is, I haven't seen anything Garrett has accomplished to warrant giving him the top job. But like was already mentioned, I think Jerry is afraid he'll get away and then go on to have big success somewhere else, and for a long time. Not that is possible, but right now I wouldn't hang the foreseeable future of this franchise and the hope Garrett is going to be a great HC when so far he's only been a lackluster OC.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2525193 said:
Might as well forfeit the season, then. :rolleyes:

We'd likely get a better draft choice if we did. But either way, we won't be winning the Super Bowl.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
In spite of what some posters think about the injuries this year, the Cowboys haven't had an awful year with injuries.

We'll go into Sunday's game - barring any new injuries - with all but one full-time starter on D in the lineup. We'll have all offensive starters except one as well.

Most teams have to deal with that and more. The Pats lost their QB, their #1 RB, their RT, their SS, their best LBer, and a handful of backups to injured reserve. And they're on the verge of an 11 win season against a first-place schedule, though they may miss the playoffs. That's what good coaching will do for you. If we had to deal with injury problems like that, we'd likley be 3-12 or some such right now.

So spare everyone the injury issue as a reason Wade deserves another year. That holds less water than an old man with bladder problems. What does is that Wade's lost 9 of his last 19 games with one of the NFL's most talented rosters.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2525216 said:
In spite of what some posters think about the injuries this year, the Cowboys haven't had an awful year with injuries.

We'll go into Sunday's game - barring any new injuries - with all but one full-time starter on D in the lineup. We'll have all offensive starters except one as well.

Most teams have to deal with that and more. The Pats lost their QB, their #1 RB, their RT, their SS, their best LBer, and a handful of backups to injured reserve. And they're on the verge of an 11 win season against a first-place schedule, though they may miss the playoffs. That's what good coaching will do for you. If we had to deal with injury problems like that, we'd likley be 3-12 or some such right now.

So spare everyone the injury issue as a reason Wade deserves another year. That holds less water than an old man with bladder problems. What does is that Wade's lost 9 of his last 19 games with one of the NFL's most talented rosters.

I must admit, I am sick of the "injury" excuse as well.

Even with injuries, the Cowboys still fielded one of the most talented teams in football.

Also, we were able to beat the Tampa Bay Bucs with Brad Johnson.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525227 said:

Even with injuries, the Cowboys still fielded one of the most talented teams in football.

I don't throw the "fire" term around loosely. I hate for coaches, players, everyday Joe to get fired, though Wade will undoubtedly land on his feet better than most.

He's a very good coordinator. He just isn't a head coach.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525179 said:
Jerry Jones is so afraid that if Jason Garrett is not promoted to Head Coach, he will get another Head Coaching job and be successful.
You really think anyone would want Garrett as HC at this point?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2525227 said:

We also experienced injuries in areas where we were the deepest at, so only an imbecile would chalk up the injuries as a reason to underachieve.

Most teams would kill for the depth we had at RB and CB, and we happened to lose players at both. I won't give any "injury credit" for having Newman, Barber and Felix Jones hurt. We had serviceable backups at both positions. Easily.

The backup QB position cost us, but not nearly as most people think. Last time I checked, we had a 7-0 lead against the Rams and allowed ourselves to be completely embarassed. Like it or not, the majority of our six losses this year were with the same players we were told were the best in football last year when we won 13 games.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2525230 said:
You really think anyone would want Garrett as HC at this point?

Detroit, Oakland, St. Louis, and Cincy.

No one with any credibility though.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2525281 said:

I'm not even so sure about those four, especially when you look at Garrett's $3million salary he's making now.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GoinForSix;2525281 said:

Cincy is not expected to make a coaching change.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2525143 said:
The mistake would be keeping Garrett,

The mistake absolutely would be to keep Garrett and also not look at possible options in every regard. This team needs to stay in the constant development mindset if we want to get our 6th SB. It can happen this year with this mindset if Jerry spreads it throughout. The team seemed in good spirits in practice Friday but it wasn't intense at all. I think this team likes playing on the road. For this week that's helpful.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2525281 said:

St. Louis and Cincy wouldn't touch him after seeing him in the 2 games we played them. Detroit's seen Roy Williams 11 produce less here under Garrett and teaming up with a future HOF WR than in Detroit. These 3 teams wouldn't even want him as an OC let alone a HC. Now Oakland, who knows what Al Davis thinks, he likes others trash but I think someone else is running that place with Al as the figure head the last 8 weeks.

I don't think there is 1 team in this league that evenspeculates on Red as a HC. I think his pickings as a OC are as just about as thin. He has to much talent to utilize to stink this bad. He doesn't asjust fast enough and I don't care if he's accepting the constructive criticism and making changes. If I don't see over 30 points against Philly Sunday I don't ever want to hear his name again. It's been a long timesince Red put 30 points up in a game. I don't want to wait till garbage time either.

tunahelper

Reaction score
LUVDABOYS;2525120 said:
T.O. could have gotten away with almost anything as far as Jerry is concerned. What he couldnt do is fight with Romo, JW or Ware. Unless Owens breaks out big against Philly and the playoffs, I see him gone in 2009.

I seriously doubt it for many reasons.

#1 reason and really all others dont matter- $$$$$$money and cap hit. TO just signed the big extension with a signing bonus. He will be in Dallas at least another year, which I am glad.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
tunahelper;2525436 said:
I seriously doubt it for many reasons.

#1 reason and really all others dont matter- $$$$$$money and cap hit. TO just signed the big extension with a signing bonus. He will be in Dallas at least another year, which I am glad.

Exactly, the contract demands that TO plays at least 1 more season before the cap hit would be doable for a trade or release.

This is the same thing with Romo. Posters on here have been saying that we need to bring in competition for Romo and threaten to bench Romo if he plays bad.

Problem is that Romo has $100 million dollar contract that has been reworked several times with more guaranteed money added each time. Now we cant have a backup making this type of coin and we cant trade or release him either because of the cap hit. Thus, Romo is the starting QB for at least the next 3-5 seasons before any talk of a trade/release would even be feasable.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
M'Kevon;2525128 said:
No TO next year? You really think Jones will take that cap hit and admit to a mistake at the same time.

Dream on.

If it's after June 1st, it goes on the 2010 cap, I believe. There is no cap in 2010 so it's a non-issue.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
LUVDABOYS;2525120 said:
T.O. could have gotten away with almost anything as far as Jerry is concerned. What he couldnt do is fight with Romo, JW or Ware. Unless Owens breaks out big against Philly and the playoffs, I see him gone in 2009.

Am I missing something? Did TO have words with Ware or did you just throw that in as an example of an untouchable player?