DMN Blog: Let's talk Isaiah Stanback

Dorsettfan4life

Reaction score
Let's talk Isaiah Stanback by Brian Davis @ ***BANNED-URL***

One receiver who stood out during an otherwise slow practice Monday was Isaiah Stanback.

He made the best catch of the morning practice with a leaping one-handed grab in the end zone. Then in the afternoon, he made two great catches -- a reach-behind-his-back grab and another catch while wearing Anthony Henry like a cape. Afterward, Stanback was thinking more about a dropped catch in the back of the end zone, though.

"It was a good day. I've got to make those open ones that I'm supposed to make," Stanback said. "Besides that drop, it was a good day."

I've been wondering why Stanback isn't in more conversations about the receiver position. I mean, we all know about T.O. The Terry Glenn situation created a stir about who could be No. 2. Sam Hurd and Miles Austin are seemingly talked about together. And people are getting excited about Danny Amendola. Patrick Crayton isn't going anywhere, either. That's at least five.

Stanback could easily become one of this team's most intriguing stories. Think about it. Here's a guy who became one of the most dynamic quarterbacks in the Pac-10 at Washington. He comes to the NFL, switches position, overcomes a foot injury and may find a permanent home on a 53-man roster.

Not bad for a fourth round pick who is essentially a year behind considering that last season was almost like a redshirt year.

"What we want to see him come to practice and grow each day," offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. "He has a lot of ability and more than that, he's going at it the right way. He's watching the veteran players and learning from them."

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
I cannot wait to see him play this weekend and hope he gets a lot of snaps. If he is coming around, this offense could be huge(r)....

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
I know i love preseason games! I love looking at our young guys who would never get to play, lets just hope the QB who is playing can get the ball to these guys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I suspect that it is because most fans believe that his position with the team is safe, so to speak. I don't really think anybody believes that he will be cut this season. With Crayton, you have the starter or 3rd WR discussion you can always hang your hat on. With Austin, Hurd or Amedola, the discussion is, will they make the team. Not so much with Stanback I think. I imagine that is part of it.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Dorsettfan4life;2176355 said:
I've been wondering why Stanback isn't in more conversations about the receiver position. I mean, we all know about T.O. The Terry Glenn situation created a stir about who could be No. 2. Sam Hurd and Miles Austin are seemingly talked about together. And people are getting excited about Danny Amendola. Patrick Crayton isn't going anywhere, either. That's at least five.

Well, for one, he's just learning the position. Two, Gil Brandt said he would not supplant Crayton -- and when the "Godfather" speaks, you had better listen. :bow:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I think we are still a year away from seeing anything significant from Stanback. This year, all eyes are on Hurd and Austin. Both have been here three years and usually the third year is the year WR's breakout in the NFL.

From what I have been reading, Austin has the edge as the #3 receiver. That would put Hurd at #4 and Stanback at #5.

However, Stanback has drawn comparisons to Owens, by Jerry Jones, in terms of stature and speed. He has been making phenomenal catches in practice but still needs to get his footwork down. I think he will be a star, just not this year.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2176424 said:
I think we are still a year away from seeing anything significant from Stanback. This year, all eyes are on Hurd and Austin. Both have been here three years and usually the third year is the year WR's breakout in the NFL.

From what I have been reading, Austin has the edge as the #3 receiver. That would put Hurd at #4 and Stanback at #5.

However, Stanback has drawn comparisons to Owens, by Jerry Jones, in terms of stature and speed. He has been making phenomenal catches in practice but still needs to get his footwork down. I think he will be a star, just not this year.

You and I have been reading very different reports then. Every single report I've read, including comments made by Ray Sherman, have suggested that Hurd has a fairly strong hold on the #3 spot.

When asked about his receivers, Sherman responded:

1. Hurd 2. Austin 3. Stanback

I agree with your analysis of Stanback. I doubt we'll see much from him this year.

I hope he's worth the wait...and the roster spot he's occupying.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I hope he's worth the wait and the roster spot he's going to occupy as well...time will tell.

Bizwah

Reaction score
tomson75;2176435 said:
You and I have been reading very different reports then. Every single report I've read, including comments made by Ray Sherman, have suggested that Hurd has a fairly strong hold on the #3 spot.

When asked about his receivers, Sherman responded:

1. Hurd 2. Austin 3. Stanback

I agree with your analysis of Stanback. I doubt we'll see much from him this year.

I hope he's worth the wait...and the roster spot he's occupying.

You're right on Hurd and Austin. I appears that Hurd is ahead now.

But it also sounds that the last few days have seen Austin making a move.

The preseason games are important for those guys.

My guess is this....

Hurd and Austin will both see time at third WR this season.

sago1

Reaction score
Actually most of us all understand Stanback has to learn about the nuances of the WR position. If it takes about 3 years for a WR to shine, then certainly it will take a QB transitioning to WR similar time. In fact one would suspect it would take longer. That's why most Cowboy fans don't think about him much yet; the big demands come in 2009.

Standback however is moving right along. He's already shown he's got the hands, size & speed; its the rest of things like get free at the LOS, reading defenses so he's in tune with his QB, faking DBs out, etc.

I won't be surprised at all if the Cowboys haven't designed plays specifically to take advantage of his talents; and as his development moves along, more plays will be added. In any case, believe Stanback will make enough plays to have the Cowboy nation excited about his potential.

Angus

Reaction score
sago1;2176470 said:
Actually most of us all understand Stanback has to learn about the nuances of the WR position. If it takes about 3 years for a WR to shine, then certainly it will take a QB transitioning to WR similar time. In fact one would suspect it would take longer. That's why most Cowboy fans don't think about him much yet; the big demands come in 2009.

Standback however is moving right along. He's already shown he's got the hands, size & speed; its the rest of things like get free at the LOS, reading defenses so he's in tune with his QB, faking DBs out, etc.

I won't be surprised at all if the Cowboys haven't designed plays specifically to take advantage of his talents; and as his development moves along, more plays will be added. In any case, believe Stanback will make enough plays to have the Cowboy nation excited about his potential.

Good post, sago1, even though there is no "b" in Stanback.

:star:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I cant imagine any scenario minus injury of course the guy is ever active. I dont expect him to contribute to this team at all this year.

That is ok if he is learning and getting better and brings something to the table next year.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
sago1;2176470 said:

They reportedly have him working in reverses and some trick plays where he passes the ball a la Randle el in pittsburgh...although Theebs may be right about him not being active this year.

Eddie

Reaction score
You know, I'm not really impressed with all this talk about acrobatic, behind the back, and between the legs catches.

How about mention of running crisp routes, fighting off defenders, catching passes with precision, and having a nose for the ball?

Reports seem to think we're impressed with pass catchers doing back flips.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
What do you mean?

There's at least a handfull of us that have been talking about Stanback for a while now...His spot is safe, and ocne He learns it better and gets going Hurd, Austin and Crayton better move out of the way:D .