WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams' effect

9:20 AM Tue, Dec 18, 2007 | Permalink
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

Roy Williams will appeal his one-game suspension, and I expect the league to uphold its decision. So where does that leave the Cowboys for Saturday?

Williams' absence creates a big domino effect on the defense and special teams, especially with fellow safety Pat Watkins not expected to play because of an ankle injury.

Keith Davis should start at strong safety, which could affect his special teams' play. Rookie Courtney Brown moves up a spot in the rotation and maybe Nate Jones gets a look at safety as well.

What happens on the substitute defensive packages when Williams effectively moved to linebacker? Does Bradie James stay on the field now? Or, gasp, could we see Bobby Carpenter play Williams' role? Carpenter has speed and athleticism and isn't bad in coverage.

The good news is the offense the Cowboys are playing. Aside from Steve Smith, the Panthers do not have a ton of down-the-field weapons, and they could have Matt Moore making the second start of his career.

Derinyar

Reaction score
You mean a media person doesn't realize that this is a good thing for the Cowboys defense? They should be drawn and quartered right now. ;)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1842405 said:
the Panthers do not have a ton of down-the-field weapons, and they could have Matt Moore making the second start of his career.
He is undefeated as a starter.

It had to be said.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Derinyar;1842411 said:
You mean a media person doesn't realize that this is a good thing for the Cowboys defense? They should be drawn and quartered right now. ;)

:p:

Well, THIS is why Roy should be kicked in the seat of his pants...The rule has been in place for three years. ENOUGH already.

There are some here who simply don't "get it" and perhaps that's Roy's problem too.

It doesn't matter if you agree with the rule or not...It's a rule and this is why you follow the rule.

Some spoke of "heat of the moment" and how anyone who's ever played football understands that things happen in the heat of the moment.

Well, many of us played football, I'm sure.

None of us played professionally.

The difference is supposed to be, that if you're a pro, you don't get caught up in the "heat of the moment"...you play with discipline.

And this is why.

So, we go into Carolina, for a game that we need to win, without our starting safety.

Well done Roy. :rolleyes:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
our special teams are going to be a mess saturday.

I hope our offense is firing away, we may need a large number of points, because bad field position and possible giving up of points on returns kick cause an upset.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Even with the rule its garbage that its a suspension. Oh well. I just wonder if they are going to start suspending everyone in the league after 3 personal foul level penalties.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1842418 said:
He is undefeated as a starter.

It had to be said.

I still hate that we lost him. When i saw him at training camp i was really impressed. He has an explosive wr and who knows, if Newman doesn’t shadow Smith (and i don’t think he will) he could get behind the secondary. They also have a decent running game...this might be a tough game.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'd love to see Carpenter get some work in Roy's place.

Frankly, I'd just love to see him get some defensive snaps.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
While the Watkins Injury hurts because he played special team as well

kevsstang

Reaction score
I would put Henry in as free safety. Have Newman and Reeves as corners move Hamlin to strong safety for our base defense. Fill Brown in for Watkins if he can't go in the nickel and Dime. Carpenter or Davis could fill in for Roy when he plays LB. Although losing Roy for a game is a negative, this could be in our favor to see how other players perform in different roles.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1842450 said:
While the Watkins Injury hurts because he played special team as well

yep, I think he has been playing great covering punts, he beats the double team outside every time and is the first guy to get his hands on the retuner.

He will be missed.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
kevsstang;1842455 said:
I would put Henry in as free safety. Have Newman and Reeves as corners move Hamlin to strong safety for our base defense.

Thats actually not a bad idea ..... except for the fact that we would have to listen to Edunce's stupidity.

;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Our coaching staff should treat this as an oppurtunity to look at some young players and move others around and see how they do.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Juke99;1842429 said:
:p:

Well, THIS is why Roy should be kicked in the seat of his pants...The rule has been in place for three years. ENOUGH already.

There are some here who simply don't "get it" and perhaps that's Roy's problem too.

It doesn't matter if you agree with the rule or not...It's a rule and this is why you follow the rule.

And... you could argue that they let a few horsecollars go over the years... giving Roy plenty of time to adapt. Once the rule was in place... he kept doing it soon thereafter and they didnt always call it.

He was given a grace period. Suspension is warranted.

And, NO... I never tackled a guy in football... but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :laugh1:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
kevsstang;1842455 said:
I would put Henry in as free safety. Have Newman and Reeves as corners move Hamlin to strong safety for our base defense. Fill Brown in for Watkins if he can't go in the nickel and Dime. Carpenter or Davis could fill in for Roy when he plays LB. Although losing Roy for a game is a negative, this could be in our favor to see how other players perform in different roles.

I don't think any pro coach wants to make that many moves on D. Hamlin stays in his role as does Henry.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
YoMick;1842471 said:
And... you could argue that they let a few horsecollars go over the years... giving Roy plenty of time to adapt. Once the rule was in place... he kept doing it soon thereafter and they didnt always call it.

He was given a grace period. Suspension is warranted.

And, NO... I never tackled a guy in football... but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :laugh1:

:laugh2:

And yes, one could argue that.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
kevsstang;1842455 said:
You don't shift around positions just because one position, you plug with with a best suited player for that one position and leave everybody where they are, otherwise, you are going to have weakness in various positions rather than just one.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Weakening CB, a more important position, to shore up a weakness at saftey seems like a phenominally stupid move.