DMN Blog: Of all weeks for Julius Jones to get benched...

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
4:59 PM Mon, Nov 24, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips
I'd give a dollar to find out what was going through Julius Jones' head on Sunday when he was announced as a starter only to not start and then get just two carries against the Commanders.

I'm sure Jones wanted to build up some momentum before heading to Dallas this week and facing his old team. Instead, some dude named Maurice Morris got 14 carries and 103 yards. Jones had just two carries for 21 yards.

We're supposed to get Jones on a conference call Tuesday, but something tells me that won't happen.

Overall, Marcus Spears and Terence Newman said they were glad to see Jones get a fresh start with the Seahawks. Of course, Spears said when they get between the lines, Jones knows it's all business.

"I'm happy he's doing well," Spears said. "As a player, you don't want to see anybody unhappy or not performing like they want to be performing. For him to get in and do some good thigns in Seattle is real good for him."

Where Have You Gone, J-Jones?

Just in case you're wondering, former Cowboys running back Julius Jones leads the team in rushing with 637 yards on 141 carries for a 4.5 yards per carry average. He has two touchdowns. He signed with the Seahawks in the offseason after he felt, justifiably so, the Cowboys were never going to use him much more than as Marion Barber's caddie.

This season isn't what he could have envisioned after he "escaped" Irving.

But maybe he'll have a big day on Thanksgiving. One of the biggest days of his career came against the Bears on Thanksgiving as a rookie in 2004 when he rushed for 150 yards on 33 carries with a pair of touchdowns.

Jones is scheduled to talk to D/FW reporters via conference call on Tuesday afternoon, which considering how little he talked to the evil media when he was with the Cowboys is a real shock.

- Mac Engel

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I can't believe Seattle had 7.8 YPC with their top 2 backs and didn't win the game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;2441375 said:
Julius Jones is not a bad running back but he's no super star like everyone thought he could be...
And that is why he isn't a Cowboy any more. :D

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they just weren't resting him...although I doubt it as they were in a close game.

He hasn't had a bad year at all this year.....he's averagin 4.5 YPC compared to MBIII's 3.9 YPC. He's also had 2 100 yard games while MBIII has had 3.

Julius also has close to 75 fewer carries than Barber.

But, in the end, I'm sure that this year isn't what he envisioned either.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
theogt;2441374 said:
I can't believe Seattle had 7.8 YPC with their top 2 backs and didn't win the game.
I can't believe they only ran it 20 times and Hasselbeck was just awful with only 103 yds passing.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Starting bid on Julius Jones Cowboy jersey, $5. Do I hear $10?:eek:::eek::

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
They didn't win, because Clinton Portis trucked them.

By the end of the third quarter, I want Marion Barber going down hill.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Jones has the physical tools and feet to be elite but something is missing in his intellect and drive, I don't mean that to be demeaning but something mental escapes him as far as his instincts and football savvy go.

Eskimo

Reaction score
41gy#;2441926 said:
They didn't win, because Clinton Portis trucked them.

By the end of the third quarter, I want Marion Barber going down hill.

Not likely with Proctor in there.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Maybe they were holding him out so he'd be well rested for Thursday's game.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Jimz31;2441407 said:
I'm wondering if they just weren't resting him...although I doubt it as they were in a close game.

He hasn't had a bad year at all this year.....he's averagin 4.5 YPC compared to MBIII's 3.9 YPC. He's also had 2 100 yard games while MBIII has had 3.

Julius also has close to 75 fewer carries than Barber.

But, in the end, I'm sure that this year isn't what he envisioned either.

Look at Seattle's schedule. And their record.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
I don't want to see a guy get the ball with his speed that feels he has a personal vendetta against this team, even if it is Julius Jones. The guy has had his moments and the Cowboys have this uncanny ability at times to make even 3rd string players look like Pro Bowlers.
With the season on the line that guy can stay in Seattle Thursday no problem. Beating the Seahawks will be payback enough.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2441864 said:
Starting bid on Julius Jones Cowboy jersey, $5. Do I hear $10?:eek:::eek::

Only if that bid is what you're paying to get rid of the jersey... :p:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
MIke holmgren said he just plays the hot hand. So if jones plays early thursday and makes a play he will get a bunch of snaps.

I think what is most embarrassing for him is that they announced his name when the offense came on the field sunday, and he wasnt starting and morris came out of the tunnel. Ooooops.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thing about Jones is he can have 1 very good run and it makes his stats look good but he can't consistently pick up the yards. I don't care if Barber is not as fast bottom line is Barber picks up positive yards on a reg basis and can wear down a defense. Jones proves to me that stats do not tell the whole story.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I am hoping he plays, gets a bunch of carries, and Dallas shuts him down and shuts his mouth once and for all about how he was mistreated here.