DMN Blog: One Hall of Fame voter isn't impressed with T.O.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2:12 PM Thu, Nov 20, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Peter King of Sports Illustrated is one of the most respected NFL writers in the country and he's also a Hall of Fame voter.

King dropped this little tidbit in the middle of his popular Monday Morning Quarterback column this week:

I think Terrell Owens needs to look at a tape of his game last night and ask himself why, in such a big game. he didn't catch the ball well. He drops the ball too much to be considered one of the all-time greats.​
That sounds to me - I'm making my own interpretation here - like T.O. isn't getting King's vote.

T.O. certainly has Hall of Fame stats. He ranks among the top 10 players in league history in catches (922) and yards (13,575) and Jerry Rice - the greatest of all time - is the only receiver with more than T.O.'s 135 touchdown catches.

He's been to the Pro Bowl six times and been named All-Pro five times. The problem, of course, is that teams throw the ball so much in today's NFL it's hard to really figure out what all of the numbers mean.

He's also going to be penalized - fair or not - if he doesn't win a ring. Yes, he played in a Super Bowl with Philadelphia, but they didn't get the ultimate prize.

Now, he does drop too many passes, but any way you look at it, T.O. has been a dynamic play-maker whether he's been in San Francisco, Philadelphia or Dallas.

He's a Hall of Fame player. Maybe, he'll have to wait five or six years to get in, but eventually it'll happen.

We all know he's whiny and petulant and arrogant, but none of that has anything to do with whether he's been a great player.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Peter King might be respected as an NFL writer by JJT, but I don't think many fans feel that way about him. He's dropped the ball on many occasions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peter King belongs in the Hall of Very Fat and Stupid.

Not a TO fan here, but he's definitely a HoF caliber player. That's not even debatable in my book. Can you imagine what his stats would look like if he didn't have the drops.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
bbgun;2432057 said:
Just keep King out of the "writers' wing" of the Hall.
But he definitely belongs in the "Stuffing Your Face with Free Popcorn" wing.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2432248 said:
But he definitely belongs in the "Stuffing Your Face with Free Popcorn" wing.
and the "Latte expert" wing as well.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yeah, he is respected by fellow writers for sure. I am not sure, any true NFL fan, respects Peter King's opinion though.

I don't like TO myself and thinks he usually comes small in playoffs, well not as bad as Randy Moss though, to TO's credit.

Peter does have a point about TO's hands and I think due to his WC Offense roots, bit of fineese reciever and not a tough reciever, ala Irvin.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Idgit;2432244 said:
Not a TO fan here, but he's definitely a HoF caliber player. That's not even debatable in my book.

To this I can agree.

Idgit said:
Can you imagine what his stats would look like if he didn't have the drops.

This isn't a very supportive argument, in fact, more detrimental to your case and substantiates King's.

It's like saying 'imagine what Julius Jones' stats would look like if he didn't fall down so much and run up the backs of his blockers.'

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2432053 said:
"I think Terrell Owens needs to look at a tape of his game last night and ask himself why, in such a big game. he didn't catch the ball well. He drops the ball too much to be considered one of the all-time greats." - Peter King
In my opinion, this isn't an atypical viewpoint of Hall of Fame voters and very much taints their own self-qualification for judging who should or shouldn't be enshrined. It's way past time for more qualified voters, such as enshrined players themselves, to replace the Board of Selectors. Heck, even I agree that even though Owens' drops are an issue and always have been, they aren't an obstacle for his future enshrinement.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Like fans should have nothing to do with Pro Bowl voting the same for HOF- no writer should have a say at all. Only former players.

sacase

Reaction score
TO is first ballot all the way. Anything that keeps him out is pure bias on the writers part. On the field he has been dynamic. Look at what he did in the Super Bowl!

Swolt

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2432325 said:
Yeah, he is respected by fellow writers for sure. I am not sure, any true NFL fan, respects Peter King's opinion though.

I don't like TO myself and thinks he usually comes small in playoffs, well not as bad as Randy Moss though, to TO's credit.

Peter does have a point about TO's hands and I think due to his WC Offense roots, bit of fineese reciever and not a tough reciever, ala Irvin.

agreed:starspin

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jackrussell;2432341 said:
To this I can agree.

This isn't a very supportive argument, in fact, more detrimental to your case and substantiates King's.

It's like saying 'imagine what Julius Jones' stats would look like if he didn't fall down so much and run up the backs of his blockers.'

Yeah. That didn't come out right. Point was, he moves with the ball in his hands like noone I've ever seen. He'd make a case for the best ever if he had better hands.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
jackrussell;2432341 said:
To this I can agree.

Um, no. You completely missed this poster's point.

Julius Jones is awful and has mediocre numbers. Owens is great and has great numbers.

Do you get it yet?

By the way, Jerry Rice dropped so many balls that he made Owens look sure-handed.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
gimmesix;2432065 said:
Peter King might be respected as an NFL writer by JJT, but I don't think many fans feel that way about him. He's dropped the ball on many occasions.

Very well said.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
T.O. is definately a Hall of Famer. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl one time when he was with them. He played the game after the horse-collar injury and went off. He had over 100 yards receiving and was abusing the Patriots, and he probably could have been thrown the ball more. He was torching them.

Plus, he's not done playing.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I've always wondered this but how do writers get to be Hall of Fame voters? What exactly do they do in order to get in on that?