DMN Blog: Press Coverage

Smith22

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417892 said:
Prime example is Flozell. Flozell has had several OL "teachers" and yet we can still count on him false starting, at least once a game. Would you put that on the coach or the player?

I would blame that on his hearing loss.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417802 said:
I've seen the 'boys play with intensity this year and STILL make boneheaded mistakes.

You can be intense as all get out. With Ratliff doing his he-man thing after a sack. Ware does his one leg stump after a sack. Bradie throwing up his Que-dawg sign after a big tackle. Guys doing the side-bump thing after a big play. These guys play hard, but not smart.

It's all about execution. That's not on the coaches. That's on the players.

I try and tell that to a friend I have here in CC.He swears up and down he knows football,and all of our problems are the result of "bad coaching".WG,you're absolutely right!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22;2417896 said:
I would blame that on his hearing loss.
I wouldn't. He's been playing in the league for 10 years and has been dealing with the hearing loss even longer. I think they are mental mistakes more than anything else.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2417892 said:
Not in my opinion.

Teachers can deliver information in a multitude of ways and a student still may not get it.

Prime example is Flozell. Flozell has had several OL "teachers" and yet we can still count on him false starting, at least once a game. Would you put that on the coach or the player?

I give him a bit of leeway in that area due to his hearing issues.

He has other 'issues', but the false starts I feel are more a physical issue rather than a mental one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22;2417893 said:
Depends. People learn different ways. Some people can just read a book and/or instructions and be really efficient at things. Others need to actually do something once themselves and then they are OK. Others just need to hear something once and it sticks. "test day" Some people struggle under pressure, like with tests.

Then you have others who think they know it all and don't care to listen.....

Is that the teachers fault?

I think so.

I think a teachers job is to effectively convey information in whatever way they can.

I don't think there's a 'standard' by which one teaches, but a fluid system which depends on the learning abilities of the various students.

And I think it's part of a teacher's job to determine if his students are getting it or not.

Just my opinion.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2417914 said:
I give him a bit of leeway in that area due to his hearing issues.

He has other 'issues', but the false starts I feel are more a physical issue rather than a mental one.
Funny, I feel just the opposite. There are hearing aids and whatnot. I don't know if Flo uses them or not, but I think it's more mental than physical.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2417928 said:
Funny, I feel just the opposite. There are hearing aids and whatnot. I don't know if Flo uses them or not, but I think it's more mental than physical.

If he doesn't he should.

And I think it's within the coaches authority to insist that he does considering the false starts are a recurring issue.

And I think regardless of the reason, it's within the coaches' power to make sure that they not continue to happen, either by working with Adams on that part of his game or trying another guy in his place.

Reaction score
slick325;2417760 said:
November 14, 2008
Press coverage
10:53 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Todd Archer E-mail News tips

The Commanders had success against Terrell Owens in the first meeting by being physical with him at the line of scrimmage. Shawn Springs did not give him a free release off the line and Owens struggled.

Defensively, the Cowboys used press coverage on just 17 of 50 snaps against the Commanders.

I found it interesting that the Cowboys receivers and corners worked against each other some Thursday in press coverage. Owens said he expects the Commanders to use the same strategy Sunday, and I wonder if the Cowboys want to be physical with Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El so they can't get a free release.

"We've seen a lot of press coverage the last four or five games," coach Wade Phillips said. "It's something that we try to work on. We happened to be doing that drill, but we do it in practice also ... But it also helps our defensive players, too, working on their press technique."

Along with the players, I have been hollering for more Man Coverage with more blitzing from LB's.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2417924 said:
I think so.

I think a teachers job is to effectively convey information in whatever way they can.

I don't think there's a 'standard' by which one teaches, but a fluid system which depends on the learning abilities of the various students.

And I think it's part of a teacher's job to determine if his students are getting it or not.

Just my opinion.
A teacher can determine that the student isn't getting it and then consult with other people and research other ways to ensure the student gets the proper help so that they can get it.

These coaches spend at least 75%(my assumption) of their time, forsaking family time in the process just to ensure these guys get the right information.

When does it fall on the players to execute properly? Because it's never just one player, or one side of the ball. We've seen breakdowns occur every week from different players. Coaches don't tell Ratliff to pull on the facemask of a player negating a huge stop.

stasheroo;2417935 said:
If he doesn't he should.

And I think it's within the coaches authority to insist that he does considering the false starts are a recurring issue.

And I think regardless of the reason, it's within the coaches' power to make sure that they not continue to happen, either by working with Adams on that part of his game or trying another guy in his place.
Again, he's a 10-year vet whose had several good OL coaches. When does it fall on him to get his stuff together?

I'm not downplaying the effect of bad coaching. I just think there are some things that are just outside of the coaching realm.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Smith22;2417793 said:
The Ravens have SIXTEEN players on IR this year. 16! They still crush on run defense and they play every game on defense with a level on INTENSITY that I have never seen from our guys. Both of the corners on the Ravens have missed A LOT of time this year as well.

Sooner or later, we have to start drafting guys that play with a sense of urgency. We need players that don't seem so confused and lost on defense.

or hiring a coach who brings a tough, accountable, no nonsense, workmanlike attitude to the entire team...don't hold your breath though.

CoCo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417928 said:

I wonder if there are any NFL players who use a hearing aid during games. I could easily see those things being difficult to deal with in that kind of often times deafening environment.

On another note I wonder if some of Flo's problems are the fact that the knock on him a few years ago was that he struggled with speed rushers and now tries to heighten his anticipation to the point that he overdoes it at times.

If you had to choose between Flo getting off late (giving up a sack or holding penalty) or moving early (5 yards and a redo) which side would you err towards? I think clearly towards the side that he IS erring on.

I know we all want an effective LT with no penalties and no sacks but I'm not convinced Flo can be that every week all things considered.

I don't think we're close enough to the situation to know what the real reason is that he struggles with false starts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2417947 said:
A teacher can determine that the student isn't getting it and then consult with other people and research other ways to ensure the student gets the proper help so that they can get it.

These coaches spend at least 75%(my assumption) of their time, forsaking family time in the process just to ensure these guys get the right information.

When does it fall on the players to execute properly? Because it's never just one player, or one side of the ball. We've seen breakdowns occur every week from different players. Coaches don't tell Ratliff to pull on the facemask of a player negating a huge stop.

So if it's not 'one player', is that not a sign of an issue bigger than an individual level?

A 'dumb player' can screw up and make dumb plays on his own.

A 'dumb coach' can effect multiple players - and oftentimes other coaches as well.

Multiple players says the problems run deeper than the player level.

WoodysGirl said:
Again, he's a 10-year vet whose had several good OL coaches. When does it fall on him to get his stuff together?

I'm not downplaying the effect of bad coaching. I just think there are some things that are just outside of the coaching realm.

I think plenty of it is on him. But if he can't or won't do anything about it, it then becomes the coaches' responsibility to do it for him.

Chain-of-Command.

"You handle it or I'll handle it for ya."

MONT17

Reaction score
Was this b4 Jerrys Roast 4 investors or after? Hey maybe it was a potential investor that suggestd to practice press coverage! That is a good thing!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2417973 said:
So if it's not 'one player', is that not a sign of an issue bigger than an individual level?

A 'dumb player' can screw up and make dumb plays on his own.

A 'dumb coach' can effect multiple players - and oftentimes other coaches as well.

Multiple players says the problems run deeper than the player level.
If it were the same screw-up every week, then I might lean towards it being a major coaching problem.

But every week, it's a different player, different problem. And it's never consistent enought to where you could point to and say, "Ah ha! THAT's what the problem is."

This team makes boneheaded mistakes, make penalty after penalty, under TWO different regimes. Another example is Witten's motion penalties. He did it under BP and he's doing it under Wade. It's not an every game thing, but they're certainly drive killers when they happen. Who does that fall on? The TE coach or Witten? I say Witten.

I think plenty of it is on him. But if he can't or won't do anything about it, it then becomes the coaches' responsibility to do it for him.

Chain-of-Command.

"You handle it or I'll handle it for ya."
That's easy to say, but I think that's when the economics of the NFL interfere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2417992 said:
If it were the same screw-up every week, then I might lean towards it being a major coaching problem.

But every week, it's a different player, different problem. And it's never consistent enought to where you could point to and say, "Ah ha! THAT's what the problem is."

This team makes boneheaded mistakes, make penalty after penalty, under TWO different regimes. Another example is Witten's motion penalties. He did it under BP and he's doing it under Wade. It's not an every game thing, but they're certainly drive killers when they happen. Who does that fall on? The TE coach or Witten? I say Witten.

Again, it's across the board, not the same mistake, not the same player, not the same penalty.

Would you really attribute that to having a teamful of dummies who can't or won't listen?

Or would you attribute it to a coaching staff who dioesn't prepare the players or hold them accountable for those mistakes?

I think the odds of assembling an entire team full of morons are pretty long.

WoodysGirl said:
That's easy to say, but I think that's when the economics of the NFL interfere.

Or the fact that the team doesn't have an acceptable backup on the roster...

tunahelper

Reaction score
Man this SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean we are not going to play 8-10 yards off the WR 80% time?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2418000 said:
Again, it's across the board, not the same mistake, not the same player, not the same penalty.

Would you really attribute that to having a teamful of dummies who can't or won't listen?

Or would you attribute it to a coaching staff who dioesn't prepare the players or hold them accountable for those mistakes?

I think the odds of assembling an entire team full of morons are pretty long.
I won't go to the extreme of calling the players dummies or morons. For a few, it can actually be just the opposite. Really smart player overthinking a situation and makes mistake. Really smart player trying to cover up an assumed "lesser" player. It can be any number of reasons, but in the end, it's a screwup.

And the assumption that the coaches don't hold players is funny to me. We DON'T know what the coaches do or don't do in comparison to other coaches when it comes to discipline and accountability.

I know what we've seen based on HK, but I really don't think it's as simple or as lame as it was made out to be on TV.

What would be acceptable accountability based on the discussion we've had about different players messing up and whatnot? Just curious.

Or the fact that the team doesn't have an acceptable backup on the roster...
That, too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418028 said:
I won't go to the extreme of calling the players dummies or morons. For a few, it can actually be just the opposite. Really smart player overthinking a situation and makes mistake. Really smart player trying to cover up an assumed "lesser" player. It can be any number of reasons, but in the end, it's a screwup.

And the assumption that the coaches don't hold players is funny to me. We DON'T know what the coaches do or don't do in comparison to other coaches when it comes to discipline and accountability.

I know what we've seen based on HK, but I really don't think it's as simple or as lame as it was made out to be on TV.

What would be acceptable accountability based on the discussion we've had about different players messing up and whatnot? Just curious.

What we DO know is what we see. A coach in Wade Phillips who comes out with his "penalties are on me" line.

What good is that?

What has it accomplished for this team.

He takes blame for the penalties committed by the players on the field?

Great.

Then what happens Wade? What does that statement do to change the pattern of excessive mistakes and penalties?

So far not too much.

The only visual recourse that we fans would see would be for players who make repeated mistakes to be changed out for another one, some level of accountability for poor play. Sit the guys who are continuing to make mistakes and cost the team.

WoodysGirl said:
That, too.

Which I also lay at the feet of the staff.

Along with Bard Johnson, there are players on this roster who are incapable of contributing, even in time of crisis. I don't think they should be on the roster and I blame the staff for the fact that they still are.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2418069 said:
What we DO know is what we see. A coach in Wade Phillips who comes out with his "penalties are on me" line.

What good is that?

What has it accomplished for this team.

He takes blame for the penalties committed by the players on the field?

Great.

Then what happens Wade? What does that statement do to change the pattern of excessive mistakes and penalties?

So far not too much.
And that's kinda my point. We only know what we've seen for 5 weeks in the summer and a few snippets via nfl network. We don't know the inner workings of the lockerroom. I really doubt that that brief camera shot of Wade saying, "It's on me" is the end of it...especially during training camp.

The only visual recourse that we fans would see would be for players who make repeated mistakes to be changed out for another one, some level of accountability for poor play. Sit the guys who are continuing to make mistakes and cost the team.
Again I go back to the fact that the only thing we're apt to see every week is Flozell false starting and maybe the occasional Witten motion penalty. Every week it seems as if a different player does something boneheaded.

You want accountability by benching somebody, because it's visible. It's something the fans can see.

Romo tosses an INT again... bench him?
Flozell or Colombo false start...bench him?
Bigg holding... bench him?
Witten motion penalty...bench him?
Inadvertent face mask...bench him?

My issues with calling for benchings and such would be that these errors just aren't on the bottom-feeders of the roster. Key players are messing up, too and you can't just bench everybody.

To be clear, I'm not giving coaching a pass. I tend to look more at player execution just as much.

Which I also lay at the feet of the staff.

Along with Bard Johnson, there are players on this roster who are incapable of contributing, even in time of crisis. I don't think they should be on the roster and I blame the staff for the fact that they still are.
I'd blame that on scouting, as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418110 said:
And that's kinda my point. We only know what we've seen for 5 weeks in the summer and a few snippets via nfl network. We don't know the inner workings of the lockerroom. I really doubt that that brief camera shot of Wade saying, "It's on me" is the end of it...especially during training camp.

Again I go back to the fact that the only thing we're apt to see every week is Flozell false starting and maybe the occasional Witten motion penalty. Every week it seems as if a different player does something boneheaded.

You want accountability by benching somebody, because it's visible. It's something the fans can see.

Romo tosses an INT again... bench him?
Flozell or Colombo false start...bench him?
Bigg holding... bench him?
Witten motion penalty...bench him?
Inadvertent face mask...bench him?

My issues with calling for benchings and such would be that these errors just aren't on the bottom-feeders of the roster. Key players are messing up, too and you can't just bench everybody.

To be clear, I'm not giving coaching a pass. I tend to look more at player execution just as much.

It gets back to what I said, I can form an opinion based on the information I do have. What I can see. I'm not going to form my opinion on pure speculation based on what might happen behind closed doors.

Even if something were happening behind closed doors, it sure doesn't seem to have changed anything, has it?

I see all signs pointing to a soft, players' coach who is letting the inmates run the asylum. The stuff I can see.

WoodysGirl said:
I'd blame that on scouting, as well.

Yeah, they definitely share in the blame. But ultimately, the coaching staff and Jerry decide who stays and who goes.