DMN Blog: Press Coverage

Iago33

Reaction score
Let me jump into the teacher/student conversation.

Blaming it all on the coach is like blaming it all on the teacher for underperforming. The teacher can only do so much. If a teacher is working with students who are unmotivated or who lack the skills (mental or physical) to get the work done, then there is nothing he or she can do. Don't blame the teacher when the students are unteachable!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2418135 said:
It gets back to what I said, I can form an opinion based on the information I do have. What I can see. I'm not going to form my opinion on pure speculation based on what might happen behind closed doors.

Even if something were happening behind closed doors, it sure doesn't seem to have changed anything, has it?

I see all signs pointing to a soft, players' coach who is letting the inmates run the asylum. The stuff I can see.
I get it. We see the same things, just attribute blame differently. Your opinion points the fingers at the coaches. My opinion points the fingers at the players.

Of course there's a yin/yang thing going on. But it goes to our earlier points about teachers and students. The problem is NEVER one thing, but

Yeah, they definitely share in the blame. But ultimately, the coaching staff and Jerry decide who stays and who goes.
I think they all go hand in hand and any blame should be shared equally.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418147 said:
I get it. We see the same things, just attribute blame differently. Your opinion points the fingers at the coaches. My opinion points the fingers at the players.

Of course there's a yin/yang thing going on. But it goes to our earlier points about teachers and students. The problem is NEVER one thing, but

I think they all go hand in hand and any blame should be shared equally.

That sounds about right.

Regardless, I have enjoyed the conversation.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;2418149 said:
That sounds about right.

Regardless, I have enjoyed the conversation.
Same here.

So, can I blame you for not working much, today? Maybe I could use the argument that if my job didn't provide the Internet then I might be able to get some work done. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418154 said:
Same here.

So, can I blame you for not working much, today? Maybe I could use the argument that if my job didn't provide the Internet then I might be able to get some work done. :)

Guilty as charged.

Shhh, it's our little secret.

khiladi

Reaction score
If the players are dumb, then have them play more press man-to-man coverage. They won't be worried about what their various responsibilities are in respect to spacing. They can just worry about blanketing their receiver...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Someone needs to come in and change the culture in Dallas.

BP changed it when he came in for the better. Like he said , it wore the players down because the team was not sucessful enough, but even he did not have the intensity to make it what it needed to be.

Wade changed it, but not in the way it needed to be changed. It worked for a while but it did not toughen the team. It, over time, made them weaker players. Maybe adversity can change it, a challnge , I don't know, we'll see.

I don't know if a single player/leader can change it or not. BP had the right idea of earning the star. I think about half of them deserve to represent the Cowboys sometimes with our proud history.

StarWiz2

Reaction score
There are far too many signs that point fingers at coaching being the problem than stupid, lazy, undisciplined players.

No 1 sign Phillips points finger at self
No 2 sign Camp Cupcake, Camp marshmallow, and now Team Creampuff
No 3 Way more injuries due to the above
No 4 One really important coach sitting on bench looking looking for his head during a blowout loss
No 5 Said coach getting demoted
No 6 ST coach now has delegated elves to help him out
No 7 HC still riding merrygoround with a Mr. Fix It belt around his waist
No 8 Red Rider is shooting blanks when push comes to shove
No 9 People(like my daughters) observing mass confusion on sidelines during losses, unlike anything they've ever seen on any college team.
No 10 .....I don't know how, I don't know what, I don't know. Player confessions to the media
No. 11 Mr. Fix It sounds alot like his players.
And for the coup de grace....NO 12 I'm posting on this board regularly.

Oh dear Gosh in Heaven, I hope I'm wrong!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The teacher/student analogy is an interesting one. Of course, the truth is that guilt for the mistakes belongs on both sides of that equation. Still, I feel that the teachers can only do so much and that it is up to the student (grown men in this case) to implement what they've been taught.

I'm sure that the coaches, when they teach a certain technique, have said, "You got that? If you have any questions about what we're doing, ask me now." And I'm sure that all the players said that they do understand. Heck, I'm pretty sure that the coaches have made the players demonstrate their understanding by running the play using that technique.

Once they've told a coach they understand and shown that they do by performing it... I'm not sure how the blame for a mistake running that technique could be on the coach.

One could say that the coach should replace that player once they've proven that they'll screw up even though they know and understand the correct way to do it... but that goes back to what WG was saying about pulling Romo, Witten, Gurode, et al. You certainly don't want those guys watching Brad Johnson, Procter and Tony Curtis lose the game with the correct techniques but little talent.

The answer, if there is one, isn't easy, and anyone can tell you that lost mojo is difficult to re-acquire.

In my mind, this plethora of bobbles, drops and errors is a result of an overall picture that starts with losing Tony Romo, although that certainly isn't everything. Before he went out, we weren't playing that great but we still only had 2 losses by 2 points and one in overtime. While that might not be what we all expected... it still is a far cry from the bad team that so many make them out to be.

Romo will move this offense and Williams opposite TO will give our QB something he didn't have in those first two losses.

The rest of the problem, I think, is that the team hasn't been playing as a team. They've been skating along waiting for opponents to bow to their great talent. Well, we all know that isn't happening and until they play as a team with a sense of urgency and purpose, we're still going to see the comedy of errors that we've been witnessing.

Perhaps this mid-season crisis is exactly what they need to focus the team and get them to play with emotion. I hope so. They seem to understand, but we've all heard it before.

The last few times we've played Washington, it was easy to tell that the Commanders hated us and that we barely even took notice they were coming. Like we were so much more talented than them. Well, intensity beat out everything else, like it usually does. This Sunday should be the first game in several years where the Commanders really have the Cowboys attention. It shouldn't be one side hating the other and the other side merely showing up. This should be intensity matched with intensity... and when you have that, then and only then will talent level come into play.

[/rant]

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2418223 said:
The last few times we've played Washington, it was easy to tell that the Commanders hated us and that we barely even took notice they were coming. Like we were so much more talented than them. Well, intensity beat out everything else, like it usually does. This Sunday should be the first game in several years where the Commanders really have the Cowboys attention. It shouldn't be one side hating the other and the other side merely showing up. This should be intensity matched with intensity... and when you have that, then and only then will talent level come into play.[/rant]

This is exactly how I have felt about this team.

It looks to me like teams ccome into games against the Cowboys with real hatred. The Giants especially. While I can recognize the Giants' talent, nobody could convince me that their overall player roster is better than the Cowboys.

They're just more intense and better coached in my view.

The Cowboys have believed their own hype and have simply shown up expecting to win.

Only to get 'punched in the face' by lesser teams like Washington, Arizona, and (gulp!) St. Louis.

Iago33

Reaction score
StarWiz2;2418207 said:
There are far too many signs that point fingers at coaching being the problem than stupid, lazy, undisciplined players.

Oh dear Gosh in Heaven, I hope I'm wrong!

And what about the signs pointing the other way--for example, the stupid penalties and lack of cohesion under Parcells, who is the opposite of Wade?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418303 said:
This is exactly how I have felt about this team.

It looks to me like teams ccome into games against the Cowboys with real hatred. The Giants especially. While I can recognize the Giants' talent, nobody could convince me that their overall player roster is better than the Cowboys.

They're just more intense and better coached in my view.

The Cowboys have believed their own hype and have simply shown up expecting to win.

Only to get 'punched in the face' by lesser teams like Washington, Arizona, and (gulp!) St. Louis.

Yep. I hope that our players really start playing intense, hard-nosed football. If they do that and do it consistently for the remainder of this year... then I still like our chances very much.

If not. Well, Jerry better start figuring out how to make that happen next season.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417782 said:
It could mean anything scheme-wise, CL, but I think people kinda underestimate how the team is supposed to perform when you're tapping into your bowels of your depth-chart.

Folks still want pro-bowl level play from non-pro bowl-level players.

Teams have been pressing TO at the line since the end of last year.

Have all those teams had Pro Bowl cornerbacks?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2418370 said:
Yep. I hope that our players really start playing intense, hard-nosed football. If they do that and do it consistently for the remainder of this year... then I still like our chances very much.

I agree 100%.

I think this team needs to be pissed off about getting punched in the mouth and not punching back, and this goes double for the boys in the trenches.

They're better than these teams they've lost to, and part of the reason they've lost is that they haven't matched the other teams' intensity level.

The talent is obviously there.

Someone needs to tell them that this sin't a 'game', it's a 'fight'.

And the guys lined up on the other side want to take what you've got and embarrass you. You can either lie down and let 'em or you can take out your aggressions on them.

AsthmaField said:
If not. Well, Jerry better start figuring out how to make that happen next season.

If not, I think we'll see a seismic shift in the coaching structure of this team.

Too much talent, too much money, too many expectations for results like this.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418382 said:
I agree 100%.

I think this team needs to be pissed off about getting punched in the mouth and not punching back, and this goes double for the boys in the trenches.

They're better than these teams they've lost to, and part of the reason they've lost is that they haven't matched the other teams' intensity level.

The talent is obviously there.

Someone needs to tell them that this sin't a 'game', it's a 'fight'.

And the guys lined up on the other side want to take what you've got and embarrass you. You can either lie down and let 'em or you can take out your aggressions on them.

If not, I think we'll see a seismic shift in the coaching structure of this team.

Too much talent, too much money, too many expectations for results like this.

I agree on both counts.

Let's hope these guys get pissed off enough to leave it all out on the field. If they do... look out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2418383 said:
I agree on both counts.

Let's hope these guys get pissed off enough to leave it all out on the field. If they do... look out.

Definitely.

"Take it out on the other guy"

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
stasheroo;2418384 said:
Definitely.

"Take it out on the other guy"

I know for sure they would if they hated Washington nearly as much as the fans do. Honestly, I can't stand the lukewarm attitude this team has had about Washington for the past several years. I want them to return the hate that the Commander players have for them.

Truly, I don't know how our players can sit and watch Joe Gibbs call all Dallas fans ugly, watch their players all talk about how much they hate the star... and still go out and play uninspired football against that group of guys.

Let them have 1/5th the hate we fans have and they'd blow their doors off.

MONT17

Reaction score
Good luck. Romo had another Dooozie today! Basicly he said the Boys could lose sunday and win the rest and still have a chance @ the playoffs! can someone shut him up? Earlier this year he wanted to ff to the playoffs n Super Bowl now we are going to run off 6 in a row.

I guess that's part of the journey.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417802 said:
I've seen the 'boys play with intensity this year and STILL make boneheaded mistakes.

You can be intense as all get out. With Ratliff doing his he-man thing after a sack. Ware does his one leg stump after a sack. Bradie throwing up his Que-dawg sign after a big tackle. Guys doing the side-bump thing after a big play. These guys play hard, but not smart.

It's all about execution. That's not on the coaches. That's on the players.
that's not playing with intensity. that's celebrating with emotion. these players are just dumb.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
MONT17;2418467 said:
Good luck. Romo had another Dooozie today! Basicly he said the Boys could lose sunday and win the rest and still have a chance @ the playoffs! can someone shut him up? Earlier this year he wanted to ff to the playoffs n Super Bowl now we are going to run off 6 in a row.

I guess that's part of the journey.

Romo said that he DIDN'T want to fast forward to the playoffs. he said that he wanted to enjoy the journey, which you quoted. Why would anyone talk about enjoying the journey and then want to FF to the playoffs?

Think before you post.