DMN: Blog: Ravens LT Jared Gaither has a lot of problems

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Ravens LT Jared Gaither has a lot of problems

7:06 PM Wed, Dec 17, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Facing DeMarcus Ware is tough enough when a tackle is healthy. Baltimore's Jared Gaither gets the task with a sore shoulder and missed today's practice because he was sick.

But the 6-9, 330-pounder won't necessarily be a pushover. He had the shoulder problem all season, but he's only allowed two sacks (per Stats Inc.) while replacing legendary LT Jonathan Ogden.

"I think he's had a courageous season," Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said. "The shoulder is getting better as he goes now, so he's bringing the other arm into it more than he has."

Gaither, a supplemental fifth-rounder last season, didn't let Steelers stud James Harrison pad his sack total last week. We'll see Saturday if he can slow down Ware's record-threatening roll.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I thought we might see more of Ware on the left side again.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
they dont throw the ball that much.

If they play there style of game flacco will throw the ball 18 times.

It is tough to get sacks when a qb only throws it 18 times.

RW31

Reaction score
he's been playing with one arm the entire season and shut down guys like mario williams, freeney, vanden bosch, james harrison, trent cole and company. ware will have to bring his a game

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DWare should be able to take advantage of of that guy being so tall and get under him enough to destroy him.

StylisticS

Reaction score
theebs;2503072 said:

Best to hope for is to get an early lead. If we can have a quick strike of 14-0, they may slightly pass a little more. Slightly.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
StylisticS;2503176 said:
Best to hope for is to get an early lead. If we can have a quick strike of 14-0, they may slightly pass a little more. Slightly.

absolutely.

the coaches think the same.

Since romo has returned we have started taking the ball during the coin toss to play offense early. Before romo was hurt and the defense was playing great we always defered and played defense.

Now the strategy is get the ball, get a lead and make them give our defensive playmakers chances to make plays.

I personally hate it, I have a always play defense rule because I want the ball out of the half. The two biggest drives of any game to me are the drive into the half and the drive out of the half.

But I do understand the philosophy change.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I remember when the Raven's got him in the supplemental, I actually was hoping the Cowboys would make a play for him (especially since they got him for a 5th rounder and if he had stayed, he would have gone higher the next year) but of course we didn't. We roll with guys like Doug Free and James Marten.

RW31

Reaction score
http://img514.*************/img514/6489/ravensbigguyav9.jpg

:laugh1:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I live in the DC area and watched Gaither play high school basketeball. I followed him at Maryland.....I knew he was having academic trouble and some minor off the field incidents. So I was convinced that being in the "doghouse" in college was do to some correctable things (youth, lack of focus etc...). I always felt he was worth the risk the Ravens took and I believe it will pay off for them. I mean a 5th rounder? To get a guy this young with this kind of size. I can't remember if we showed any interest, but I was hoping we would. Does anyone remember if we were interested?

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Baltimore's line is decidedly average. The (relatively) low sack numbers have more to do with, as another poster pointed out, the somewhat lower number of pass attempts.

On a % of snaps basis, Cleveland, New York, Arizona, Philly, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and Washington all have better O-Lines. Considering that those teams account for 9 of our games to-date, I would be shocked if we don't see strong pressure in whatever passing situations exist.

And yes, Ware has been lining up inordinately on the left side. I don't know that that's dramatically better. Adam Terry is pretty decent as well.

Really, their bookends are good pass protectors who are average run blockers, while the reverse is true inside - their interior linemen have given up as many or more sacks than their tackles. The real weakness is blitz pickups by RBs and TEs - you send more than 4, and Baltimore is less effective than the average team in those situations.

Reaction score
Cbz40;2503032 said:
Ravens LT Jared Gaither has a lot of problems

7:06 PM Wed, Dec 17, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Facing DeMarcus Ware is tough enough when a tackle is healthy. Baltimore's Jared Gaither gets the task with a sore shoulder and missed today's practice because he was sick.

But the 6-9, 330-pounder won't necessarily be a pushover. He had the shoulder problem all season, but he's only allowed two sacks (per Stats Inc.) while replacing legendary LT Jonathan Ogden.

"I think he's had a courageous season," Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said. "The shoulder is getting better as he goes now, so he's bringing the other arm into it more than he has."

Gaither, a supplemental fifth-rounder last season, didn't let Steelers stud James Harrison pad his sack total last week. We'll see Saturday if he can slow down Ware's record-threatening roll.

Dude was a beast at Maryland. They stole him. He had weight issues, academic issues and other stuff but he was first round talent.

Daudr

Reaction score
theebs;2503072 said:

When you are behind by 21-24 points you can't continue to run the ball . . .

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Daudr;2503373 said:
When you are behind by 21-24 points you can't continue to run the ball . . .

You honestly believe we are capable right now of opening up a 21-24 point lead on their defense? Only three teams have scored over 24 points in a game on them.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
bbailey423;2503350 said:
I live in the DC area and watched Gaither play high school basketeball. I followed him at Maryland.....I knew he was having academic trouble and some minor off the field incidents. So I was convinced that being in the "doghouse" in college was do to some correctable things (youth, lack of focus etc...). I always felt he was worth the risk the Ravens took and I believe it will pay off for them. I mean a 5th rounder? To get a guy this young with this kind of size. I can't remember if we showed any interest, but I was hoping we would. Does anyone remember if we were interested?

From what I remember, we didn't have any interest. Same thing with Paul Oliver, the corner that came out in the supplemental that year that he Chargers snapped up. He hasn't shown much yet, but I remember we needed CB help at the time (or rather, the cb depth we had was horrible) and I was hoping we'd give up a low pick for him.