DMN Blog: Ron Rivera on the Cowboys job

wileedog

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1353246 said:
Plus there is the issue of pride. Why should he take a DC position when he obviously deserves the head coaching especially over a guy like Norv Turner who has had his chance to be head coach and failed to produce.

There are no other HC jobs available this year. If Jerry is set on Norv than Rivera will be a DC next year no matter what or for whom.

So the question then becomes, what situation sets him up best for a HC gig next offseason?

Dallas with an offensive HC and a talented but underachieving defense already in place would look mighty tempting in my mind. Especially if the HC is likely to be a short-termer.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Wood;1353087 said:
I have never seen a successful organization NOT hire someone because they may become successful and leave. I think Jerry first and foremost wants this defense fixed and then deal with the fall-out of having that success.

Totally agree. All this talk of "we can't hire Singletary or Rivera because it'll waste Garrett and his inevitable promotion to HC" is ridiculous. How is that different from "we must hire someone who sucks and will be easily replaceable so we can promote Garrett"?

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1352961 said:
More Ron Rivera

At a morning news conference in Miami, Ron Rivera, the Bears defensive coordinator addressed the media concerning the Cowboys head coaching job.

"My wife called me and said, ‘Hey I heard this.’ I said ‘OK, I haven’t
heard anything.’ This morning I got up, I went on the internet, I did see it. She called me last night at about 4:30 a.m. and I saw it this morning at about 7:00. It’s a little frustrating because you can’t talk to anybody in the same respect. I’m here, my focus is Indianapolis, and that’s the exciting part about it.” unless of course if it's for the money. IMO he wont last,if he is that good and can get this defense to perform at the level it should,he will be picked up as a head coach for one of the tyrical coaching vacancies each year.

Posted by Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 11:38 AM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

Ron Rivera stuff

Let's be real here, Ron Rivera, the Bears excellent defensive coordinator, isn't coming to Dallas to become the defensive coordinator.

Why would he?

He's the defensive coordinator of a Super Bowl-type team in Chicago.
Rivera, as he expressed today in Miami, wants to be a head coach and has expressed frustration with his lack of opportunity of becoming one because his team has gone deep into the playoffs.

The NFL should change the rules regarding assistant coaches. If an assistant coach has a chance to get a better position, he should interview, regardless if his team is in the Super Bowl.

If Rivera had a chance to interview somewhere during the playoffs, he might have a head job now.

I don't want to hear this talk about him getting distracted from his job. Rivera is a professional and he will handle it well. Plus, Lovie Smith, the Bears coach, is defensive minded, so I'm sure he can handle things.

Posted by Calvin Watkins at 11:28 AM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)
exactly what I pointed out yesterday, he's not coming here to be the DC.It's head coach or nothing. It makes total sense on his part

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Why not Rivera as a HC? Garrett and Sparano can handle the offense. They'd need a good RB coach for sure but that can't be all that hard to do. Then let Rivera bring in whoever he wants for his defensive staff.