WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tank Johnson: Cowboys' D didn't get its [rear] kicked

9:25 AM Tue, Sep 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Usually when a running back racks up 121 yards and averages 5.8 yards per carry, it's a pretty good sign that his offensive line whupped the opposing front seven. Just don't tell Cowboys backup NT Tank Johnson that.

Commanders RB Clinton Portis put up those stats, but Johnson said the problem was poor gap control, not getting manhandled by the Washington O-line.

"I heard so much that they dominated us up front, that they pushed us around and kicked our [rear]," Tank said. "That's definitely not the case. It was more us than them."

Wade Phillips backed up Tank's theory, saying that the Cowboys' primary problem against the run was guys trying to make plays instead of taking care of their responsibility.

But there was also a little butt kicking going on in the trenches. On Portis' last two double-digit gains, the D-lineman at the point of attack got turned around to the point that his back faced the line of scrimmage while getting pushed downfield. It was No. 95 being overpowered by a double team in the second case.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Boysboy

Reaction score
I'll bet my bank account that this thread gets at least 20 pages.

khiladi

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2298600 said:
"I heard so much that they dominated us up front, that they pushed us around and kicked our [rear]," Tank said. "That's definitely not the case. It was more us than them."

So what your saying is you guys are idiots as opposed to not having the physical skills to get the job done?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Tank shut the hell up and produce its been 12 games already and you look the same as when you first came here.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
The Commanders O-line handled our DL and LB's, no matter what Tank and Wade say. Portis was getting 4 and 5 yards every carry.

ladiewolve

Reaction score
Boysboy;2298603 said:

Really?....um how much might be in there? (willing to split profit if we stop at 19):muttley:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Canty and Tank really sucked vs the run.

And for two guys who are going to be UFA, one would expect better results than what either has managed so far this season.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
As I stated earlier this season....Tank is playing for a contract extension..and what he fails to realize is that unless he plays his assignment...he will not be here. He is pressing to make things happen...but making things happen in the run game is JUST AS IMPORTANT. He is trying to sack the QB on every play. We look like a high school team some times

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2298687 said:
I know Canty and Tank really sucked vs the run.

And for two guys who are going to be UFA, one would expect better results than what either has managed so far this season.

agreed right now we don't keep either which sucks for us because we don't have the DL depth to keep them and we still get stuck with Spears,

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2298694 said:
As I stated earlier this season....Tank is playing for a contract extension..and what he fails to realize is that unless he plays his assignment...he will not be here. He is pressing to make things happen...but making things happen in the run game is JUST AS IMPORTANT. He is trying to sack the QB on every play. We look like a high school team some times

I alluded to something similar a few weeks ago but was convinced it was nothing.

Tank Johnson doesn't seem 'selfless' enough to play the nose tackle position.

He strikes me as a guy who would rather make plays for individual glory rather than doing the unrecognized dirty work required of a nose tackle.

One thing I can say is that so far he's done more talking than anything else.

With these latest comments, he can have it his way.

Fine.

You weren't overpowered physically, you were overpowered mentally.

Feel better now?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Tank is full of it. He needs to worry about helping to make sure that no one does that number to them again, regardless of what reason, or excuses, he'd like to come up with for it.

jimmy40

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2298607 said:
Tank shut the hell up and produce its been 12 games already and you look the same as when you first came here.
Tank needs to be in the 4-3 with Tommie Harris beside him.

silver

Reaction score
well we did get pushed around but it was a close game. nobody dominated. we got pushed around in the philly game and won. these things happen. we aren't the '85 bears. we need to get the swagger back. to do that we need to pound the bengals into submision. send them back in body bags. (not really but you get my drift). this team needs that killer attitude.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm afraid there was too much Tank Kool-Aid passed around in the offseason, and it caused us to trade a very good run stuffing nosetackle for a song. Even dating back to college, Tank has never played on the football field what his physical skillset (and his mouth) would suggest.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
On Portis' last two double-digit gains, the D-lineman at the point of attack got turned around to the point that his back faced the line of scrimmage while getting pushed downfield. It was No. 95 being overpowered by a double team in the second case.

I don't know what MacMahon is watching. Tank got turned around by a double team on Portis' second-to-last double-digit gain, not his last one. Nobody got turned around on the last one. Bradie James just got caught flat-footed, then missed the tackle.

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2298798 said:
I'm afraid there was too much Tank Kool-Aid passed around in the offseason, and it caused us to trade a very good run stuffing nosetackle for a song. Even dating back to college, Tank has never played on the football field what his physical skillset (and his mouth) would suggest.

They should have gotten Shaun Rodgers... His numbers are up there with Ratliff this year and we could have moved Ratliff to DE.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Boysboy;2298603 said:

OK i'll start posting.....

BTW is it worth the effort ? ;)